U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 PM

20 posts, read 56,775 times

Advertisements

I live in Massachusetts now, and I need to find an area that is dog friendly. I am active in AKC Conformation/Agility events and found that Pinellas County has now become very unfriendly to hobby breeders (yet the puppy mill/farms are never the ones hurt by the laws). I also looked on the Atlantic Coast but was told hurricanes are always hitting that area.

It would be nice to be maybe less than an hour drive to the beach, but at this point, a pool will work just as well for Florida.

I would love to be in a smaller community, suburban to rural, just not city life.

Any suggestions on safe towns to look into. Searching online I don't get the input a local could give as far as feeling safe in my community, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,441,845 times
I posted in your thread in the Tampa Bay subforum, but here's some more information...

Ocala is a small city, though an important one for the region. It's a big horse farm area, but I'm sure other animal breeders are in the area. If you want open rural or suburban land, look all up and down the state. Interior Florida, with the only real exception being Greater Orlando, is still pretty rural, from the Georgia line down to the top of Lake Okeechobee. The interior south of the lake is still rural, but it's all part of the Everglades, meaning it's swampy and mostly void of trees. Plenty of sugar cane, though.

There are a number of small towns/county seats like Arcadia, Wauchula, Bushnell, plus many other "specks" on the map. They're all fairly quiet and most of them are focused on either cattle ranching or produce, like oranges or tomatoes. If you have an easily-found career or don't need to work, you could make it in these areas. You may have to drive a little bit farther if you can't find what you need at Walmart, but you shouldn't ever have to drive more than an hour.

The East Coast seems to get hurricanes more than the West Coast, but it's certainly not a yearly thing. Even if one comes close, there's no guarantee that it will do much more damage than knocking down street lights or dead trees. Also, you usually have plenty of time to evacuate or make necessary precautions.

In short, Ocala might have what you're looking for, but so will most of Interior Florida if you're willing to make a few convenience-related sacrifices. Best of luck.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 AM

54 posts, read 137,893 times
I know of a person in the Pine Ridge section of Beverly Hills that competes with about 5 dogs in agility events. You would be about 15-20 minutes from the Gulf.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:20 PM

20 posts, read 56,775 times
I've come to the conclusion interior Florida would work best. I've looked up county and city/town ordinances and Florida overall is extremely strict, so a farming community would work for me and I;m excited about it. Thanks for the ideas! It's hard not knowing the state so info on all the areas really makes a difference in narrowing down where to set roots.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:47 PM

228 posts, read 819,775 times
I have Chihuahuas too! I live on over an acre and no one has even remotely bothered me about my dogs. Rolling Hills is a very animal friendly area, with shopping and events close by. This really is the middle of Florida so you are maybe a little less than an hour from the gulf and 90 minutes from the ocean. I also have a wonderful house for sale, also pet friendly. If you want more info, this is where to find me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or