U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 15,395 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into building a house in Ocala. We have been looking at buying and haven't found anything to suit us. We would like to build a nice house, about 2400 sq ft, but nothing too fancy. Any ideas on what it might cost per square foot now-a-days to build here? I know there are a lot of different factors but I just need a very rough estimate. Thanks for any help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,548,290 times
To sum it up - it'll cost more money for you to build a house than it would to buy one, along with causing you a lot more trouble than it's worth. I was an architectural student here before the market REALLY went to crap, and I believe that last year my drafting/design teacher priced building a new house at around $100/square foot, plus all sorts of other expenses like the price of the lot, environmental impact fees, building permits, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM

986 posts, read 3,272,035 times
Hi there, the previous poster is correct. It is going to cost you alot more to purchase land and build on it than a resale home in todays market. If budget isnt a consideration and you are looking to build your dream house in your dream location and you want t ocustomize the floor pland and really do a custom job then it is going to cost alot. I have a client who has just done that and to build a 3500 sq ft house is costing them $900,000 and that does not include the cost of the land. This is a custom home with a good builder. I have other builders who have floor plans you can choose from for a 3000sq ft house that can be built for around $550,000 without the cost of the land. It completely depends on what you want and how much you are prepared to pay.

I hope this helps.

Nick

Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM

140 posts, read 674,469 times
Default buy or build in Ocala, Florida?

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of re-sale homes in and around Ocala, Florida. In all price ranges. This area was hit severely hard by the housing recession and the foreclosure mess. and many, many re-sales are going for far less than what they were appraised even 12 months ago.

You really need to get an experienced realtor to help you sort out homes that meet your criteria from those that don't. Otherwise, you'll be wasting time and missing great re-sale opportunities.

While building a home is certainly an option, it's going to cost you more still in the end than even buying a less than desirable home and renovating it to suite your tastes.

Do be careful in choosing neighborhoods and communities to get one that your family will thrive in. And, if you do decide to go with a builder, do your research homework in the builder to avoid some of these unscrupuless ones that have proven to be nothing more than scam artists.

Good luck and enjoy all that Ocala has to offer.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 AM

20 posts, read 68,915 times
I am a contractor in Trenton, about an hour northwest of Ocala.
The previous posters gave some good advice- about 100 dollars per sq ft is a good "ballpark" number. Also the statement that in the present economy you can buy a home with land cheaper than you can build a house.
Pay attention to the comment about researching your builder- there are a lot of hungry people out there, and hungry people will promise you anything.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:44 PM

4,019 posts, read 6,781,951 times
For example, I pulled a list of homes in a particular subdivision near Ocala and found a home on 1.14 acres for sale @ $65.33/ft, 2218 square feet living area built in 2007. Clearly, you can buy a nearly new house for much less than to build right now in Ocala. This is just one example and I have seen several homes that are similarly priced. As mentioned, unless you want to build your "dream" home, there are some incredible bargains available on existing homes.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM

9 posts, read 65,217 times
I don't know what planet these other people live on but you can build a nice 2500 sqft under air home with granite, tile, etc for $65 sqft. They are trying to take you for a ride my dear friend. Call a builder like Triple Crown, or Fabian Const.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,237,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigge View Post
I don't know what planet these other people live on but you can build a nice 2500 sqft under air home with granite, tile, etc for $65 sqft. They are trying to take you for a ride my dear friend. Call a builder like Triple Crown, or Fabian Const.
Look at the post above. $65 sf comes with a 1 1/4 acre lot, utilities, lawn, landscaping, etc. That would all be extra in your scenario.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM

9 posts, read 65,217 times
Default Oh Crazy Harry

How true Harry, but where is it???? out in the middle of the woods somehwere, far from town, or maybe in a floodzone? Buyer beware.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,811 times
I am not a builder but when my husband and I designed and built a home it cost a lot less than buying one. It all depends on the subs you hire to do the job right. Of course the city sends out there inspectors all along the process to make sure it is done safely and correctly. When we sold that house, the inspector said this is the house I would want to be in if there was a hurricane. My husband has since passed and I am now looking through all of his papers to find the subs we used, if they are still in business. All I can say is do your homework before starting. Good luck and follow your dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala