Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times

Advertisements

Anyone care to share their best fishing areas near Ocala with a few specifics about fishing the lake or river ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 01:15 PM

25 posts, read 143,604 times
I don't fish the lakes or rivers but we go out of Crystal River about 45 miles and if you email me at crshoemaker@earthlink.net I'll send you a pic of the beautiful grouper that we caught about two months ago.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 41,500 times
Lake Rousseau is west of Ocala and within 10 miles of the Gulf, it's a man-made impoundment that is approximately 12 miles long, one mile wide and covers some 3700 acres. This is a great lake for fishing, while it does follow the Withlacoochee tract, it is a flooding, so either use a shallow bottom boat, or stick to the marked boat-way. You can find a good map of this lake, by going to google-maps, typing in Inglis, Fl. and just pan to the east a bit and you can't miss it. It isn't right in Ocala, but it's close and well worth the short drive. Happy angling!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM

6 posts, read 67,944 times
Default Fishing in Ocala

Ocala and Marion County can keep you fishing year round. The Ocklawaha River is one of many freshwater locations, and our easy access to the Gulf keeps you busy on the saltwater end of things. We use the Yankeetown Boat Ramp for our saltwater trips, and you will have many locations to fish. Our fishing reports at www.slickcharters.net might help you out.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM

88 posts, read 371,878 times
Gulf if you wanna eat it...Ocklawaha River (put in on SR 25) if you like Bass/Crappie fishing, just wouldn't eat it...

Old 04-02-2009, 05:36 AM

To my knowledge, neither us or anyone else eating fish/Bass out of the Ocklawaha River has ever had a problem. Eat up!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 AM

30 posts, read 183,163 times
The forest is just full of small ponds and lakes to keep you busy. I am a reformed saltwater fisherman and I am new to bass fishing.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM

Just remember, the Largemouth Bass around the Ocala National Forest are paticularly fond of wild shiners.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Default Best fishing near Ocala

Just an update for those coming into Ocala from out of state. Saltwater fishing in the Gulf of Mexico has been adversely affected by the fish kills that resulted from the extreme cold water temperatures. Be sure if you are booking with a saltwater guide that you discuss how well the Gulf is recovering, and how their recent trips have gone. The Bass fishing in Ocala has been very good over the last few months. For recent updates check out our reports at www.slickcharters.net.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM

109 posts, read 439,847 times
Capt.Nick. it is strange to hear someone from Florida admit they eat Bass. I live in Northern Wisconsin but spent several years on the Indian River in Vero Beach, which of course was snook, sea trout and redfish. Up in Wisconsin we always ate bass and my folks had a tavern for almost 40 years and our customers used to be from Chicago and they all ate bass. When the gas crunch or whatever changed the scenerio to people from Minnesota being the bulk of our customers, they did not eat bass, they were all walleye people. I really do not care that much for walleye as they are fairly bland. I really like a big firm northern but I live on a super smallmouth lake as well as largemouth and with the exception of the really big fish, have never had a bad fish. When I was a kid (40+ years ago) my Dad caught a bunch of walleye, northern, bass and crappie. Fried them in a beer batter and served them at the bar(no charge) he told everyone they were walleye and nobody could guess they were a mixture. I guess if you were to be a purist and cooked your fish in unrefined coconut oil with a little garlic, you would be able to tell the differance. Oh well, each to his own. I guesss I was happy to hear someone ate BASS> lee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala