Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,286 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating closer to family in mid-Atlantic, mainly West Virginia. Our family is in health care, and we have noticed recent classified adds for Athens, OH. In-laws are in Kanawha Valley, WV and Athens look like a nice, close enough to home alternative to Charleston, WV. Can anyone comment on the quality of public schools, housing prices,things to do for outdoors -oriented people, friendliness of residents, cultural presence of Ohio University? Is the fishing any good? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midAppalachian View Post
Thinking of relocating closer to family in mid-Atlantic, mainly West Virginia. Our family is in health care, and we have noticed recent classified adds for Athens, OH. In-laws are in Kanawha Valley, WV and Athens look like a nice, close enough to home alternative to Charleston, WV. Can anyone comment on the quality of public schools, housing prices,things to do for outdoors -oriented people, friendliness of residents, cultural presence of Ohio University? Is the fishing any good? Thanks.
Public schools are good. (The sports teams are terrible) The high school is a little out of town which I could never figure out.

Housing is cheap. Very cheap. OU provides a lot of cultural opportunities you won't find in cities the size of Athens.

Don't know about the fisihing. There is a river right in Athens. And lots of lakes in the area. Hocking Hills is close. I assume there is fishing there. Athens County and it's neighbors are pretty rural. Plenty of fishing and hunting and outdoor type stuff around.

Only an hour from Columbus if you want/need to be near a big city.

Athens is a good place to live.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Athens is a great small city. Located near the Hocking Hills regions, one of my favorite vacation spots.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:53 PM

53 posts, read 144,436 times
Hocking Hills: Camping, cabins, Lakes, Old Man's Cave, Rock House, Ash Cliff, Cantwell, Conkle's Hollow, etc. It's probably the best scenery in the entire state. I will actually guarantee that. It reminds me of the Pacific Northwest. Things to do in the Hocking Hills

Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
I LOVE Athens. It's a city of 20,000 something, with all of the small town perks... Yet a surprisingly active nightlife. Great bars.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM

14 posts, read 23,614 times
What can yu tell me about the african-american community in the Hocking Hills area...Ross County area etc.?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,036 times
Not to be picking nits, but I've never heard West Virginia referred to as "mid-Atlantic". Interesting.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
Hocking Hills: Camping, cabins, Lakes, Old Man's Cave, Rock House, Ash Cliff, Cantwell, Conkle's Hollow, etc. It's probably the best scenery in the entire state. I will actually guarantee that. It reminds me of the Pacific Northwest. Things to do in the Hocking Hills
That area of Ohio is very pretty , but exactly what part of the Pacific Northwest does it remind you of?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Athens is awesome. It is a charming small town with cultural amenities and it is surrounded by some of the best scenery and nature in the country.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,036 times
Progmac, are you talking about the Fall colors...or scenery in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio