Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:39 PM

50 posts, read 178,541 times

Advertisements

I know this question is highly subjective. While fast drivers are considered bad by some, others view slow drivers as being just as bad. I may have a biased view but I think Cincinnati holds the crown for having the worst drivers. The drivers here drive slow as if they are the only ones on the road, frequently holding up traffic for up to 7 or 8 cars in the far left lane. They also also seem to have a problem merging onto freeways, even with the long acceleration lanes here. I would hate to see some of the drivers here drive in the northeast where some of the freeways have little to no acceleration lanes. Don't even get me started on the traffic nightmare caused by a dusting of snow. It's always comical seeing the SUVs flying past traffic 'showing off' and a few miles down the road, you see them slammed against a wall facing traffic with their hazard lights on. Lol.

I find the drivers in Columbus to be pretty good; fast and efficient, which is what I like since I'm a fast driver. Dayton drivers are surprisingly fast, considering all the construction in the area and somewhat rude. I've had people honk at me on numerous occassions at a red light when I did not make a right turn on a red light that specifically said NO TURN ON RED. Cleveland drivers seem to drive at a moderate pace, not too fast or slow, and fairly cautious. I would think Cleveland would have the fastest and rudest drivers in the state, but I think that goes to Columbus. To end it, my vote goes to Cincinnati for having the worst drivers in the state; slow, ignorant of traffic laws and common practices and courtesies, and lack of turn signals. What do you think and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,762 times
I Second this. But I think there's another forum with the same topic

Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'll third it. Cincinnati drivers can be polite to a fault. They'll cheerfully slam on their brakes so another driver can turn left from the right lane -- and get ticked off when yet another driver won't do the same for them (that would be me ). They're also stubborn, to boot: "By God, I'm turning left four miles down the road, so I'm going to plant myself in the left lane and stay here! So what if I'm only going 25 in a 40 zone -- go around me!"

My take on Columbus drivers vs. Cleveland drivers is quite the opposite, though; I find Columbus drivers somewhat pokey and meandering (except for the inevitable idiots ... you know, idiots are the ones driving faster than you, and morons are the ones driving slower than you); on the other hand, Clevelanders drive just like me -- and I'm not moderate or cautious by any means! -- they know exactly where they're going and how to get there, and they want to arrive as quickly as possible.

I never had problems driving in Dayton, either. I just assumed all the slowpokes were from Columbus or Cincinnati.

And Toledo ... hard to tell, because everyone drives slower than the Michigan drivers anyway.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
I think I have to agree with Cincinnati. I lived there several different summers, drove daily and have been all over the metro.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 PM

269 posts, read 778,563 times
I pretty much agree with Ohiogirl81. I usually find drivers in Columbus to be fairly slow when I'm there, but not nearly on the level of Cincinnati. Whenever I go up to Cleveland, I completely change my driving mentality. The same way I do whenever I go to the east coast.

The problem with Cincy, you have the 'hilljack' driving in from the hills of KY in a rusty 1989 F-150 moseying along like he's still in the woods.

On somewhat of a different note, when I first moved here, I was floored at the amount of old rusty vehicles you see on the road. A lot of the cars here would be an automatic fail in the northeast. I've seen cars fail inspections in CT for having a rust hole the size of a pencil.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:23 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
On somewhat of a different note, when I first moved here, I was floored at the amount of old rusty vehicles you see on the road.
With their rusty fenders flapping with every bump ... I was kinda shocked, too, coming from Pa., where at the time cars were inspected twice a year (what a racket ... but that's fodder for another thread), and yes, my old Mercury did fail because of tiny rust holes -- so I took it to Ohio, where Old Nellie was good for three more years.

But now cars don't rust as quickly so it's not much of an issue anymore.

Quote:
you have the 'hilljack' driving in from the hills of KY
Oh, and Kentucky drivers despise Ohio drivers just as much. My buddies from over their yonder say Ohio folk get all freaked out once they cross the river, thinking someone named Bubba is going to hijack them and taken them on a canoe trip ... and/or they don't know where they're going and cause great consternation on the streets. LOL

Old 06-17-2010, 07:26 AM

602 posts, read 2,033,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
On somewhat of a different note, when I first moved here, I was floored at the amount of old rusty vehicles you see on the road. A lot of the cars here would be an automatic fail in the northeast. I've seen cars fail inspections in CT for having a rust hole the size of a pencil.
Ohio only "inspects" vehicles when transferring them from another state. All they do is check your headlights and turn signals, its pretty much a joke.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 AM

269 posts, read 778,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
With their rusty fenders flapping with every bump
Exactly! I was thinking about the same thing about the flapping fenders.Lol. In February, I saw someone on I-75 hit a pothole which caused their rear bumper to fall off, which caused mass hysteria. Sometimes I think Ohio and Michigan should really should incorporate vehicle inspections. That would greatly reduce the random vehicle parts seen in and on the side of the road.

I ran over a muffler a couple years ago, which could have been avoided, since I was tailgating someone. I wasn't a happy camper paying to have my CV and ball joint repaired. Ironically I was primarily concerned only with getting a flat tire; needless to say, the tire was fine.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 13,441 times
In my personal opinion I think anybody past circleville is just plain awful at driving, they treat cars like toys and drive with no regard for human life...maybe it's cause im from an appalachian area and traffic is never too awful. But I just feel that we understand that these machines can kill us at any time and drive accordingly. But again this is all just my opinion.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Heck if you ask me??

I am the only person in this state that knows how to drive. The rest of you are just in my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio