Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 AM

78 posts, read 181,901 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,
I got a speeding ticket 2 days ago on my way to North Carolina where I live.
I was driving 71 miles/hour in a 55 mile zone. The officer gave me a ticket and told me that I can go ahead and mail the $145 to the court prior to the court date. I never got a ticket and I am wondering if I can erase this ticket from my record by hiring an attorney in that area. I really don't want my insurance to go up.

your suggestions are highly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Unknown-man, I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV) but I think your idea of getting a lawyer who will go to bat for you is a good one. Especially if you have a previous good record. Not sure how your 71/55 will be rated (as "Reckless Driving", etc.) but paying an attorney to get the charges dropped /reduced might have a better effect on your insurance. Let us know how you make out. Good luck! (and watch your speed)

Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
you also have to learn to slow down in those little towns cause we all know that they have their speed traps . I think you should fight it with a lawyer . good luck to you .

Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Thanks to your advices guys.
there is another thing I forgot to ask you about.
About a year ago, I changed my address and I forgot to got a new driving license with the new address so do you think this will effect me ?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM

621 posts, read 1,209,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown-man View Post
Hey folks,
I got a speeding ticket 2 days ago on my way to North Carolina where I live.
I was driving 71 miles/hour in a 55 mile zone. The officer gave me a ticket and told me that I can go ahead and mail the $145 to the court prior to the court date. I never got a ticket and I am wondering if I can erase this ticket from my record by hiring an attorney in that area. I really don't want my insurance to go up.

your suggestions are highly appreciated
You were speeding. You got a ticket. Why do you think this should be erased from your record?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
You were speeding. You got a ticket. Why do you think this should be erased from your record?

because I know a dude who got a speeding ticket down here in NC and his speeding ticket was erased from his record after he hired a lawyer. so I am wondering if this is possible up in Ohio too or not.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:04 PM

621 posts, read 1,209,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown-man View Post
because I know a dude who got a speeding ticket down here in NC and his speeding ticket was erased from his record after he hired a lawyer. so I am wondering if this is possible up in Ohio too or not.
So are you saying you don't think you should have to pay the fine? Or are you simply afraid of this affecting your driving record, and thus your insurance?

Do you realize how much it's going to cost you to hire a lawyer, just to have the ticket erased from your record? Not to mention court costs? Why not just pay the ticket and be done with it? Will the increase in your insurance premiums really be so much higher than what it would cost to retain an attorney?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,274 times
in my experience as someone who has gotten numerous speeding tickets, in fact one year i had 3 and got a letter in the mail from the state saying id better watch it or my license would be suspended, its going to cost you more to hire an attorney and pay the court costs then $145.00

your insurance will go up but only slightly. like i said i had 3 in one year and my insurance via all state only went up by a couple of bucks each month. so 1 ticket should not kill you.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM

147 posts, read 646,137 times
Its going to cost you at least 500 bucks for a lawyer and if he plea bargains it down to a lesser offence you'll still have a fine & court costs. How much will your insurance go up with only one ticket? My wife got a ticket in Columbus when we lived there, for 80 in a 55. She got a lawyer and he plea bargained it down to a muffler violation, but the fine & court costs were the same and she was out the 500 bucks for the lawyer. Plus she had to appear in court the day of the trial. I would just send them the money & forget about it.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
And be glad you didn't blow a tire or have something run out in front of you. There is a reason that the speed limit is 55 and not 71 on that stretch of road. Remember, posted speed limits are the law, not suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: