Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 15,736 times

Advertisements

We just relocated to Warren and need to find a few of the "best of" places.
We are renting now but do not have a washer/dryer yet, where can I find the best laundromat? How about the best place to grocery shop? Are there any public outdoor pools in the area? How about pet food specialty shops? Any other hints will be great! Thanks in advance!

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,957,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminkel View Post
We just relocated to Warren and need to find a few of the "best of" places.
We are renting now but do not have a washer/dryer yet, where can I find the best laundromat? How about the best place to grocery shop? Are there any public outdoor pools in the area? How about pet food specialty shops? Any other hints will be great! Thanks in advance!

Kelly
Hi again, Kelly. Welcome to northeast Ohio!

You're on the NE side of town, right? I'm not sure about laudromats, but i think there is one on Elm Rd heading north on the right hand side kind of across from the Elm Rd. Plaza and Dairy Queen, not so sure what it's like. You might run into a little bit of a better clientele at the one on N. River Rd behind Sheetz and across the street from Pizza Hut.

Groceries - Giant Eagle basically has a corner on the market around here, the one in Howland on E. Market St is the best, Elm Rd isn't bad, and there is also one on Mahoning Ave.

If you head out towards the Eastwood Mall in Howland/Niles you'll find some more options. On St. Rt 46 there is a Sam's Club, keep heading south and you'll find an Aldi's and GFS down on the left hand side. If you turn right into the mall area off of 46 (going S) there is a Super Kmart facing 46, a Save-A-Lot in the Great East plaza and then there is a Marc's on 422 just west of 46. Oh yeah, and there is also a brand new Super Walmart on Elm Rd heading north towards Cortland, it's on the right hand side just after the Rt 82/5 bypass. There are also some discount grocery places in Champion on Rt. 45 (also known as Mahoning Ave.).

Pools - There is a public outdoor pool in Niles at Waddell Park, it's cheaper if you live in Niles, but non-city residents are allowed to swim there. Then there is Willow Lake in Champion, they claim it's the largest spring-fed pool in the World. I believe it's located off of st rt 45 in Champion, i haven't been there in years, so i'm not sure what it's like now. BTW, there is also a campground located there.

The area also has some pools that require a membership, but they aren't too expensive. There is the YMCA in downtown Warren, Welcome to the Hubbard Community Pool , Home (this is off of Tod Ave NW in Warren, most of the kids i knew growing up belong here), then there is the Elks Club on 422, i don't think you have to be a member of the Elks to join the pool. Avalon Golf and Country Club has an indoor olympic sized pool, i'm not sure of the prices, but usually if you join there you can use the pools at Buhl Farm Country Club in Sharon, Pa, and at Squaw Creek in Vienna. Oh yeah, and there is also a pool inside Harding High, which i believe has free swimming for Warren residents.

Pet food - I'm not sure about specialty shops, but there is a Pet store behind Steak-n-Shake at the Eastwood Mall and a PetsMart across 422 from Best Buy.

I hope my answer helps, let us know how the neighborhood is and how you're doing. I imagine it's a challenge moving to a place you know nothing about. We're here if you need us!

Cort

Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,701,855 times
If you feel like driving 20 miles South on 45, Salem has a specialty pet store called Pure Pets.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Thank you so much for the info! We did use the laundromat on Elm yesterday, it was ok, hoping to find one that has air so it is not so hot! Found the Giant Eagle on Elm and the Walmart, thank you!
So far things are ok, just need to find our way around. Registered the kids for school, so at least that is started!
Thanks again,
Kelly

Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 AM

I will look for the pet store in Salem, one of my dogs has a ton of allergies so we have to buy specialty food for him. Thank you for the suggestion!
Kelly

Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,701,855 times
Take 45 straight into Salem. Turn left onto 14. It's the Main street through Salem. They are located within the first block from turning. It's on the left. They have a facebook page.

Had to make an edit. 45 is closed for the Summer, just South of Ellsworth. You can go around the block on the back roads, or take 62 from Canfield.

Last edited by South Range Family; 08-05-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminkel View Post
Thank you so much for the info! We did use the laundromat on Elm yesterday, it was ok, hoping to find one that has air so it is not so hot! Found the Giant Eagle on Elm and the Walmart, thank you!
So far things are ok, just need to find our way around. Registered the kids for school, so at least that is started!
Thanks again,
Kelly
I'm thinkin the one on N. River Rd. behind Sheetz is probaby air conditioned. If you want to drive 10 minutes there is one on the corner of Main St. and Rt 5 in Cortland that seems pretty nice and i'm 99% sure it's air conditioned.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 AM

Will the younger one be going to Lincoln?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Ok, will check out the other laundromats for air. Thanks for the directions to the pet store! Yes, my fourth grader will be going to Lincoln.
Have a great day!
Kelly

Old 08-05-2010, 08:14 PM

I'm so glad she's going there, it's the best K-8 school in Warren. Nice that's it's not too far from you either. I have a few girlfriends that send there kids there and they love it, their only complaint is the lack of parental participation. There are some parents involved, but not the way our parents were involved when we were growing up going to Lakeview schools (Cortland). Mom's were practically fighting to be involved. I think nowadays too many mom's and dad's work or there is only one parent which makes it hard to be involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio