Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 726 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a new house and we are looking to clean up the yard and replace the chain link fence with a new wood privacy fence. we are wanting to remove all of the trees along the property line on the right. the trees grew up into and around the existing chain fence that is attached to the side of my garage. There are also I think 2 trees growing up into my garages foundation causing it to crack but again some of the tree sits on my neighbors property line as well. I know I can cut the trees up to my property line but I want to take them down completely as they are damaging my property. There is also no way to replace the fence without them being removed. I will be asking my neighbor about it when I'm ready to start on the yard (when I'm finished with the inside in about 2 weeks) and show the damage they are doing to the garage but if he for some reason says no would I be able to get a permit or something from the city saying I can anyway since they are causing property damage? there are 5 trees total I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,511,539 times
I know there are "neighbors from h***" out there, but why worry about it before the situation arises. If you just moved in, now would be a good time to introduce yourselves to the neighbors, if they haven't already come over to greet you. In the conversation, you might mention that you plan to do some work outside, too, to fix things up a little. Do NOT go in with an immediate heavy hand with something like "Those trees that are over there on the property line are destroying my garage and I am going to remove them." Something on the lines of "Would you like to take a look at some of the things I have planned and noticed and see what you think." You never know, he might notice that there is a problem and suggest that he help with the removal of the offenders that are on his property.

You still have the option of legal action if necessary, but save that as your back-up card.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 PM

368 posts, read 639,444 times
I would think twice about this..mature trees add considerable value to a property,also your neighbors can sue you if you harm the trees.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,251,955 times
The value that mature trees add though is most likely cancelled out by the damage they are doing to the garage and the original fencing...

I hate to have to take a tre down but sometimes it can't be helped. Hopefully if and when you do, you will be able to plant 2 new ones for every one you take down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio