Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times

Advertisements

I agree with you on Ohio's weather. I really could do without seven months of gray, cold days. As soon as I retire, I'm out of here. It's been a great place to get an education, raise a family, and live, but I long for sunny, warm days the majority of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I thought this would be an interesting and informative thread for those who may be looking to relocate here. Feel free to add your own reasons. Caveat: I live in Cuyahoga County and my opinions may be specific to just this county.
===============================================

-Property taxes are TOO HIGH and grossly out of step with the local economy.

-School systems are in the toilet, yet they keep presenting levies each year to try to put a green band-aid on the issues effecting the schools...and of course that raises the property taxes on an already over-taxed population.

-Sales tax is TOO HIGH, and they are getting ready to raise it again in September. See above statement.

-CRIME: because the economy is in the toilet, people are getting desperate and gangs and violent crime are on the rise.

-Weather: Who needs short summers and long, cold as f*ck winters? I literally get to see my yard in full lush green for 4-5 months before everything begins to turn brown and die. And then here comes the snow...

-Pollution: Ohio, true to its manufacturing, steel belt history, is one of the most polluted states in the Union. 3 out of 7 people in my immediate family have all developed asthma living here.

-The People: Not all, but too many are cold, unfriendly, racist (but in that quiet, unconfrontational way), undereducated...I could go on and on. Most of them don't even make eye contact on the street, let alone say "hello".

-Entertainment: Football, Basketball...College Football, College Basketball...Baseball...and our teams mostly suck.

=============================================

There it is, my Ohio hate list. Thank God I'll be leaving this hell hole soon.
As someone who left Ohio last summer, after 14 years in Columbus and 2 in Cleveland I'll provide my take. And in many ways I like Ohio.

Property taxes - Home prices are pretty low in comparison to many other states, especially the coastal states. With lower prices, the taxes per house in relation to price has to be higher. If the average home was 50% more expensive, the comparative taxes would be less. Home prices being low is really crucial to this issue, as is the severe orientation towards small and locally controlled school districts (more overhead in small districts).

School Systems - This is a very localized issue, with many such as Bexley, Upper Arlington, Dublin, Beachwood, Solon and others among the best public schools available in the country. For a modest priced home, you can live in a very decent school district. But it is somewhat linked to the property tax issue discussed above.

Sales Tax - Take a look at other states and tell me Ohio is out of line for the nation. I think it is right in line with others.

Crime - Depends upon where you live. Lots of areas have excellent crime statistics, and unlike Florida, Texas and California you are not dealing with a crime increase due to a significant influx of illegal aliens (see Politics and Other Controversies for all of the discussion taking place about this issue on the City Data Forum).

Weather - You don't suffer the severe droughts and fires of the west, nor the horrific storms of the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. You also don't have the awful home owners insurances associated with these issues. It also isn't as cold as Minnesota nor Wisconsin, nor getting the blasts of wet snow impacting New England, unless you choose to live in the snow belt east of Cleveland.

Pollution - A legitimate issue from my point of view, because Ohio wants to encourage business to relocate there, and not put up any barriers unless required by Federal Law.

People - Just like anyplace else, a mix of all types. If you dislike the folks, that indicates an internal attitude problem to me. I have always met nice and friendly folks in Ohio and retain many of the relationships even though I left nearly a year ago.

Entertainment - Complaining about sports teams losing is another indication of an internal attitude problem. You have a plethora of entertainment options, including world class museums and theater, plus Lake Erie.

Overall, I can see some of your points, but as Roger Miller used to sing "But you can be happy if you'd mind too. All you have to do is put your mind to it, and knuckle down and buckle down and do it, do it, do it."

I only left because Ohio has inadequate programs to support adult mentally handicapped folks, and I have a daughter who graduated into the adult program last year. It stunk, and we searched the country for better options. We found a great program in California, so we moved there. Otherwise, I would have been glad to spend the remainder of my life in Ohio.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:08 AM

332 posts, read 2,252,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
As someone who left Ohio last summer, after 14 years in Columbus and 2 in Cleveland I'll provide my take. And in many ways I like Ohio.

Property taxes - Home prices are pretty low in comparison to many other states, especially the coastal states. With lower prices, the taxes per house in relation to price has to be higher. If the average home was 50% more expensive, the comparative taxes would be less. Home prices being low is really crucial to this issue, as is the severe orientation towards small and locally controlled school districts (more overhead in small districts).

School Systems - This is a very localized issue, with many such as Bexley, Upper Arlington, Dublin, Beachwood, Solon and others among the best public schools available in the country. For a modest priced home, you can live in a very decent school district. But it is somewhat linked to the property tax issue discussed above.

Sales Tax - Take a look at other states and tell me Ohio is out of line for the nation. I think it is right in line with others.

Crime - Depends upon where you live. Lots of areas have excellent crime statistics, and unlike Florida, Texas and California you are not dealing with a crime increase due to a significant influx of illegal aliens (see Politics and Other Controversies for all of the discussion taking place about this issue on the City Data Forum).

Weather - You don't suffer the severe droughts and fires of the west, nor the horrific storms of the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. You also don't have the awful home owners insurances associated with these issues. It also isn't as cold as Minnesota nor Wisconsin, nor getting the blasts of wet snow impacting New England, unless you choose to live in the snow belt east of Cleveland.

Pollution - A legitimate issue from my point of view, because Ohio wants to encourage business to relocate there, and not put up any barriers unless required by Federal Law.

People - Just like anyplace else, a mix of all types. If you dislike the folks, that indicates an internal attitude problem to me. I have always met nice and friendly folks in Ohio and retain many of the relationships even though I left nearly a year ago.

Entertainment - Complaining about sports teams losing is another indication of an internal attitude problem. You have a plethora of entertainment options, including world class museums and theater, plus Lake Erie.

Overall, I can see some of your points, but as Roger Miller used to sing "But you can be happy if you'd mind too. All you have to do is put your mind to it, and knuckle down and buckle down and do it, do it, do it."

I only left because Ohio has inadequate programs to support adult mentally handicapped folks, and I have a daughter who graduated into the adult program last year. It stunk, and we searched the country for better options. We found a great program in California, so we moved there. Otherwise, I would have been glad to spend the remainder of my life in Ohio.
I completely agree with you. Too often people like to bash Ohio and really know nothing about what the state has to offer versus others. They complain about lack of entertainment, bad weather, bad economy. Truth is all sectors of the economy are growing except manufacturing, entertainment options here are in line with everyplace else, it may just be the large concetrations that are lacking, and bad weather, thats subjective because it depends on the person, plus its really only December, January, February and march-1/3, 33% of the year where the weather can be real bad and this year it didn't get bad til the end of January, though early April was cold this year.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:06 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,683 times
Default Everyone is entitled to their opinion of where they live...

... but they sometimes forget that what they think is directly related to their attitude.

Ohio has her problems, as all states do, but there are also so many great things about the state. People, mostly, are friendly and genuine (exception given to those that like to ride my bumper on the highway....and yes, I do play the Michigan game of BRAKE CHECK!). The NE are is incredibly beautiful with many outdoor activities and parks are FREE of charge! (not something you find in other states!) The economy is slowly rebuilding itself, and thank goodness it is not completely dependent on manufacturing! Ohio also offers many more opportunity for young people for education and training. Tuition is relatively inexpensive, schools are plentiful. And, school systems are excellent throughout the state - yet, property taxes are, for the most part, lower than some of the neighbors to the north (MI, NY, etc). Income tax is low, there are few hour or more waits at DMV (waited 1 hr 20 mins at MI's secretary of state yesterday.... just to do a 5 min plate renewal...). Weather pretty decent for the midwest atmosphere. You get 4 seasons, the temps stay quite a bit warmer than the neighbors to the north, and humidity levels seem to be lower than that of Michigan - that is a huge difference - and you certainly don't have the bugs and rodents found not too much further south. You have vibrant cities that offer many entertainment options, and you have a beautiful lake. I am looking forward to see how the polution problem gets handled, but overall things seem pretty reasonable.

Being happy where you're at depends on you as a person. If you don't like things, then move by all means... and be merry where you end up. By bashing the entire state on your way out just shows how pathetically bored you are with your own life... I know upon moving, I certainly didn't have time to bash ever little problem with Michigan. I was too busy setting up my new life.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 AM

656 posts, read 2,316,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
I'm only asking because, well, I do share some of your frustrations with Ohio. The weather here, for example, sucks statewide and there's nothing to do about it but move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucKie D View Post
I 109% Agree With You Skyegirl And Vagabond, I Thought I Was Alone With These Feelings, And Yes You Couldn'tit State It Any Better, That Quiet Unconfrontational Racism, I Love Lancaster Respond,"there's Nothing To Do But Move", And That What I Hope To Do In A Year... I Hope The Best For You Guys, Hang In There For Now You're Not Alone.....
As a clarification, LancasterNative was addressing the weather with that comment. As much as I want to see racial unity in this country, I cannot let peoples' words be revised by others. That just seems... devisive.

Anyway, still have your sights set on California, friend? I hear Yellow Springs, OH is quite footloose and fancy-free quite like CA. Although I cannot speak from first-hand experience, and it couldn't possibly hold major amenities like LA, SD, or SF, you may just want to take a drive down there and check out the vibe. Just a suggestion.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:44 PM

208 posts, read 552,539 times
Quote:
I thought this would be an interesting and informative thread for those who may be looking to relocate here. Feel free to add your own reasons. Caveat: I live in Cuyahoga County and my opinions may be specific to just this county.
===============================================

-Property taxes are TOO HIGH and grossly out of step with the local economy.

-School systems are in the toilet, yet they keep presenting levies each year to try to put a green band-aid on the issues effecting the schools...and of course that raises the property taxes on an already over-taxed population.

-Sales tax is TOO HIGH, and they are getting ready to raise it again in September. See above statement.

-CRIME: because the economy is in the toilet, people are getting desperate and gangs and violent crime are on the rise.

-Weather: Who needs short summers and long, cold as f*ck winters? I literally get to see my yard in full lush green for 4-5 months before everything begins to turn brown and die. And then here comes the snow...

-Pollution: Ohio, true to its manufacturing, steel belt history, is one of the most polluted states in the Union. 3 out of 7 people in my immediate family have all developed asthma living here.

-The People: Not all, but too many are cold, unfriendly, racist (but in that quiet, unconfrontational way), undereducated...I could go on and on. Most of them don't even make eye contact on the street, let alone say "hello".

-Entertainment: Football, Basketball...College Football, College Basketball...Baseball...and our teams mostly suck.

=============================================

Lucky you are leaving I just got here. I agree that the taxes are out of control. People are not too friendly and I can see racial tensions. This state is predominately African American and Caucasian which is different to me. Back east where I am originally from it is more diverse than this.

The school system is great in some areas but you have to pay more to live in these places. Same goes for crime. You pay more to live in the areas where there is less crime. I am not sure what the job market is like although I heard it is not great.

If you buy a home here plan to be here for awhile because the housing market is not too great in Ohio.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 AM

3 posts, read 12,288 times
Quote:
Good Riddance. Must be a treat at home.

Anyway I love the change of seasons. The property tax and sales taxes are a bit high. Despite being a teacher I have never put much stock in the belief good/bad schools matter. Good families and neighbors always trump schools.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:49 AM

375 posts, read 782,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke View Post
Good Riddance. Must be a treat at home.
Good Riddance indeed And no, honestly it wasn't a treat at home because, the first home I lived in was in an area that was being decimated by section 8 renters. I got tired of scraping crack heads off my door stoop to go to work each day.

The second area I lived in was decimated by high taxes, low wages, and a rash of foreclosures, but to have you and others like you tell it, this is all an "internal problem" because I've failed to see the sunny side of life while the market value of my property slid into the gutter, my livlihood dried up like a 60 year old's tit after 911 and I'm surrounded by angry, cold people that either are too depressed or too pissed off to offer a smile to a stranger on the street. What brand of weed are you people smoking, because I'll need some of that to get through the next month until I can haul ass out of this state!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 AM

174 posts, read 698,352 times
Blah...Leave Ohio dont want you here...And all of our teams are good...What are you talking about

Old 08-11-2007, 11:30 PM

123 posts, read 560,774 times
Crap, I couldnt agree more, vagabond!! I was given the unfortunate opportunity to live in the Toledo area, and recently moved to Tempe, AZ, and I have to say, Toledo was the WORST place I ever lived. Nothing to do, esp for a single person, bad crime, took for ever to sell my house (I even lived in the "good" part of town and housing was cheap), nothing to do (unless your bag is OSU, drinking/eating/shopping, not much else round these here parts), boring, FLAT, lifeless, etc, I could go on and on. I wouldnt recommend Toledo to anyone, unless they had a well paying jobthere (yeah right, lately), a family and could get the hell out on vacation very often!! Economy, taxes, laws, crime, gangs, white trash--all horribly bad and rampant in Toledo. Everyone said AZ was worse than Ohio when I moved, but they all have egg on their face now! I dont miss Ohio at all! All I can say since is I am glad that I discovered the desert southwest! What an experience. I just flew over Toledo last week on a business trip to Toronto, so glad I didnt have connect in Toledo or Detroit!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio