Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 AM

84 posts, read 300,899 times

Advertisements

Every year we take a 7 night backpack trip into the mountains of the NC.

Last year we were finding positives about the each state in the country. But when we got to discussing Ohio, we drew a blank.

Yes, we thought about the Cedar Point and Ohio State football. We just couldn't come up with anything else to make us plan a trip through the state.

Here is your chance....................tell me about the exciting and fun stuff to do in Ohio.................other than not trying to get a speeding ticket!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 12:47 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,508,022 times
Our son and daughter-in-law gave us some paperback books from the "Off The Beaten Path" series for Christmas. It was amazing how many things that no one would think about are featured in each of these books. There is one for each of he states, I am sure. This could be great for planning small daytrips or backpacking vacations, as the state is divided into regions with attractions and activities for each region. I don't have any of the books with me right now, so I can't give more details, but I have lived in Ohio all my life and was truly amazed at how much there is to do out there that I never knew about, even "in our own backyard".

Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM

62 posts, read 206,271 times
Well if you like hiking and nature then Clifton Gorge near Yellow Springs is a must see. Also check out Hocking hills, lots of cliffs and caves, doesn't even look like Ohio.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,973 times
The southwestern section of the state is rugged as its at the start of the Appalachians. This could be fun if you go hiking. Theres the Beaches on Lake Erie. The museums available in all of the cities, Sports venues in the cities, boating, fishing, and Kings Island. In additon to whats already been mentioned.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:56 PM

103 posts, read 453,309 times
try Salt Fork state park located near Cambridge Ohio, my great grandma used to live there before she passed. It is very rural but the lodge at the park is very rustic and nice. Lots of hiking you can canoe etc. Near Columbus are many caverns just go online. Amish country near Millersburg, lots of rolling hills and "wares" to look at. The islands of Lake Erie, my personal favorite as I no longer live in my homestate. You have Put in Bay ...like a mini Mardi Gras all summer, more subdued is Kelly's Island with natural springs as well as renting golf carts to see the glacial quarries. Good Luck, remember you can find something good in each state just as you can find something bad. Happy Trails

Old 01-19-2007, 08:49 PM

110 posts, read 491,356 times
Hocking Hills State Park near Logan, Ohio in the southeastern portion of the state is awesome. That park has just about anything one could want.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,379,430 times
the cuyahoga nat'l park has a great hiking/biking trail which runs between cleveland and south of canton somwhere, it follows the ohio canal route, you have portage lakes state park, for boating, loudenville has mohigan state park were you can canoe down the mohican river.there is plenty to do in ohios parks camping ,lodging etc. go to this website and you will be amazed...
http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/
the only thing ohio lacks is good blue collar jobs!

Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 AM

130 posts, read 155,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytoon View Post
Every year we take a 7 night backpack trip into the mountains of the NC.

Last year we were finding positives about the each state in the country. But when we got to discussing Ohio, we drew a blank.

Yes, we thought about the Cedar Point and Ohio State football. We just couldn't come up with anything else to make us plan a trip through the state.

Here is your chance....................tell me about the exciting and fun stuff to do in Ohio.................other than not trying to get a speeding ticket!!
Apart from being born in Columbus, Ohio and visiting often for business and pleasure, Ohio really has alot of nice people.
imho the police are doing a wonderfull job and let there presence be known,is that so bad that you feel protected? Speed KILLS that is why they are a zero tolerance state.
Kings Island is full of fun,Cedar point is awesome,go watch Ohio State on Saturday, Then on Sunday go watch either the browns or Bengals,the great lakes boating or any water activity,Hiking in southeast or west portions of the state and in the winters dust off the snowmobile or sled and have some fun.
I read an article years ago and it talked about how Ohio leads the nation in people living and then the same people going back.I guess it is not that bad.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,120,187 times
Can I play even though I don't live in OH?

First three that come to mind for me:

1. Mohican Trail 100 ( Loudonville) . I've not done this one, but amongst ultra-runners Leadville (CO), Western States (CA) and Mohican (OH) are kind of the "holy trinity".

2. National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, Wright-Patterson AFB , Dayton. A must-see if you are at all into aviation history and FREE!

3. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland

Fun game BTW. I'd love to hear what you guys came up with for some of the other states...

Old 01-21-2007, 07:05 AM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,362 times
Default Lots of stuff!

I don't know how much of these things have already been mentioned, but here's the list I came up with:

1. TONS of state parks where you can camp and hike.

2. Lots of museums also. I know just here in Cleveland we have the Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Art which are both fantastic. There's also the US Air Force Museum, which I believe is in Dayton.

3. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

4. The Pro Football Hall of Fame.

5. Kelleys Island and Put-in-Bay.

6. The Cleveland Zoo, The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, and the Toledo Zoo as well.

7. The Cleveland Botanical Garden.

8. The Holden Arboretum and The Dawes Arboretum.

9. The Cleveland Opera and Orchestra.

10. American Classical Music Hall of Fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio