Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:51 PM
r2r r2r started this thread

33 posts, read 137,037 times

Advertisements

I have to live within a 35 mile radius of Millersburg.

Due to the interests my teenagers have and wanting to stay closer to Pittsburgh, I'm shooting for housing within the Wooster School District.

Can use some pointers on the Wooster area.

What area to stay out of.
What area is good.

etc. etc.

I want a nice safe area and don't want to get screwed on rent. I am interested in a single family home, three bedrooms but prefer 4th or an office area. I have all my appliances. Two car garage prefered but can make due with one.

Appreciate any and all info.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 AM

45 posts, read 165,851 times
Hi there! And, welcome to Wooster! A GREAT place to raise kids. There aren't really too many bad areas to begin with. I am in the north end of town. It is the "booming" end, but many nice areas all over. Since your kids are teenagers, anywhere you live within the city limits,they will go to Wooster City Schools.

The only area I'd stay away from is "south of downtown". If you have any other questions, please let me know. I have lived here for 13 years. We have 3 kids in school and really love the area.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, you might be better off buying a house here. The market is SLOW and you could get a GREAT deal right now. I'm not a realtor, just noticed how many houses are for sale here. A TON.

Good luck!!

Old 09-21-2006, 08:07 PM

976 posts, read 3,860,735 times
WELCOME TO OHIO!!! I am also a Pittsburgh native living in Ohio. I lived in Westlake just west of Cleveland, but now i live in Mason, Ohio just north of Cincinnati. Im originally from Monroeville, PA. I have a friend from Pittsburgh that lives in Wooster and he loves it there. Its a nice growing town of about 24,000. Your not far from Canton, Akron or Cleveland. The school systems are great and its a very safe town. I really like the historical parts of town, esp the main street. Im glad i left PA when i did. Taxes are getting out of control. You will really like Wooster. I would take a trip there and check out some of the new condo units and housing developments that are going in. Good luck with your move. If you need anymore info feel free to ask.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiomom View Post

Also, you might be better off buying a house here. The market is SLOW and you could get a GREAT deal right now. I'm not a realtor, just noticed how many houses are for sale here. A TON.

Good luck!!

I'm only a couple of years out from a nasty divorce and totally screwed up credit. I'm pretty certain that a mortgage is out of the question. Plus, once the kids are done with school, I may want to relocate either within the area or to a new position. At this point in time, I don't see myself staying in Wooster for more than a 4-5 years. Definately not enough time to break even on a mortgage.

What's with all this housing boom? I've been told that $400,000 homes are going up yet in the next breath I hear that the industry is closing down or moving. Rubbermaid turned tale and ran? Where is the income coming from to support that much house?????

I have tons of questions!!!! I've contacted some colleagues within my agency that are in the area as well as my state counterpart for housing info and help. I called the Wooster Hospital yesterday asking some info about insurance. "Dirk" was nice enough to give my his sisters number (real estate agent) when I asked about some housing. Yes, networking at its finest! LOL

I have tons of people on the lookout but nothing promising coming in yet.

I want a single family home. Ideally I'd have some acreage so I can bring my horses. I said "Ideally". I'm in New York now and my horses are in Virginia.

Oh, questions!!

*Got any 411 on housing rentals????

*What health insurances in your area have you found to be adequate or above? No use getting an insurance that has only one doctor 50 miles away.

*What is available for the kids (high schoolers) when the weather is crappy or just during off-school hours? Hopefully hanging out at the corner is not a scheduled activity.

*Did I mention I need a house? I have a dog that is not negotiable.

*What are some of the activities for adults? I'm not a bar hopper or a party girl but I do enjoy going out once in a while.

*Hows the weather going to look around October 20th? That's when I plan on arriving.

*Oh and I'm interested in a single family home. Got any leads?

PB, born and raised in Brookline but have lived in many areas of the city and a couple of years in Irwin. I couldn't wait to get out of the city but miss it if that makes any sense.

The kids and I did alot of fishing and outdoor stuff down on the Yough and other rivers as well as Morraine State Park (beautiful park if you've never been). We like boating and canoeing and fishing and biking and, well, you get the picture.

If my job opened in the Pittsburgh area (not likely) and IF my eX died, I'd go back in half a heartbeat. Pittsburgh really is an incredible city and has so much culture to offer, so much history.

Ever been to the Strip District? Fantastic place to go shopping. Once I get to Ohio I'll be returning the the Burgh for Strip District trips pretty often. Right now I only get down there once or twice a year. Parma Sausage company has the absolutely most amazing italian sausage! Wholeys fresh fish and meats can't be beat! All the other merchants...man I'm getting hungry now!!!!!!

Hey Ohiomom, another question. Know of any single family homes for rent?

Old 09-22-2006, 02:42 PM

The Strip District is amazing, r2r. But you will never see me moving back to Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is a nice city, but its facing many problems. Most people see the skyline and think nothing of it. Pennsylvania is getting bent out of shape on taxes. I hate to see it, but most people in the Pittsburgh metro are moving away. A lot of my friends have moved to other parts of the country. I really wanted to stay in Pittsburgh when i was a kid, but seeing the oppurtunity in other places i decided to leave. Almost every time i go back to Pittsburgh another one of my friends has left. From Arizona, Texas, Florida, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota, California, its really a shame. I have seen Pittsburgh make many comebacks, but it still has a long way to go. I wish you the best luck in your move to Wooster.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Yeah, Pittsburgh has its problems and the taxes are getting ridiculous.

I moved away March of 2004. Now that I'm gone I do miss my family some but I know if I moved back I'd be hating it.

It's a viscious cycle.

I moved back to Pittsburgh after being gone for nearly a decade. Wanted my kids to get to know their great grandmother while they had the chance. Bought a house, regretted it shortly thereafter as I wanted to move.

I have that itch to move around and meet new people, places and things.

Now that I've been gone for awhile, I do miss some of the time spent with family.

I'll get over it. LOL

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2006, 08:39 PM

^Trust me i feel the same way too. I do miss Pittsburgh and the friends i grew up with. LOL, but the problem is they are all moving out. Pittsburgh just doesnt offer what it use to. I dont hate Pittsburgh, i love it there, that is home. But it is just a depressed area. I do like when i move and get to meet new people. That is always nice. Once again good luck where ever you end up. May it be Wooster or someplace else.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:38 AM

45 posts, read 165,851 times
Okay, r2r, I'll try to answer all of your questions. I printed them out to answer them all.

As far as housing, I can't guide you there, but I imagine there are a lot of houses available since the market is so slow. I don't know where the $$ is coming from to build these huge houses here, but they just keep going up. I think some are coming from out-of-town because it's a little cheaper here, but still within commuting distance of Akron/Canton/Cleveland. I know some good realtors here if you're interested.

As far as health insurance, I think any you have would be accepted here. We have a great health care community here that is now part of Cleveland Clinic. Shouldn't be a problem at all for you.

My kids are all in elementary school, so I'm not sure what the teens do here. Can't help you on that one. Not a whole 'lot I'm afraid, but don't quote me on that.

We have some nice restaurants here if you want to go out and a movie theater. There's only one bar type rest. that I like here. It used to be our old jail that was converted many years ago. It's called "The Olde Jaol". It's in downtown Wooster.

The weather should be chilly and pretty in Oct. The leaves should be very colorful then.

Hope I helped some. Good luck. You'll really like it here. Plenty of outdoor activities too since you mentioned you like that, too.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:43 PM

^Like Ohiomom said, Akron, Canton and Cleveland are not a far drive. Have you ever considered a move to Akron or Canton? Both metros are growing and bringing in many new jobs. The suburbs of both cities are great. They would even be closer to Pittsburgh than Wooster.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks Ohiomom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
^Like Ohiomom said, Akron, Canton and Cleveland are not a far drive. Have you ever considered a move to Akron or Canton? Both metros are growing and bringing in many new jobs. The suburbs of both cities are great. They would even be closer to Pittsburgh than Wooster.

No can do. I have to live within a 35 mile radius of Millersburg. I am moving with a job.

My four counties (to start with) are Cochoctan, Tuscarawa, Holmes and Wayne. Potentially more counties later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio