Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 AM

6 posts, read 10,231 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I know this must have been asked many times before and I did try doing some research on my own.

I am German, currently living in Colorado Springs. I was married to a US soldier who's hometown is Gallipolis, OH.

In Germany we had wide fields of green gras, woods, just a lot of nature. I hate Colorado Springs. It is way to dry here and everything is brown. I miss the lush greens and I know Ohio has plenty.

So, my question is where to move in Ohio? I am currently a licensed home daycare provider and would like to keep working in that field.

I would like to move into a smaller city but I still need to be able to make enough money to support myself. I have no husband or kids but I have dogs.

Thank you so much for any answers! ;0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
If nature, green and jobs are your priorities than you should avoid agricultural plains of NW and North Central Ohio, there is little else but corn and soy beans there. NE Ohio is very densely settled (except NE corner bordering Pennsylvania) and more grey (in the sense of cloud cover and rain) than the rest of Ohio, not my favorite, there is something depressing about that corner of Ohio, subjectively speaking. SW Ohio, Cincinnati area, has pretty hills, it's green, it has more sun than the rest of Ohio, it's also densely populated (that would mean jobs in your field I guess) but there is not that much space left for nature. SE Ohio has a lot of nature but it does not have that many jobs and people you could serve, it has steeper hills too. My favorite part of Ohio (landscape and climate wise) is Central Ohio, more exactly Ashland, Richland, Crawford, Morrow and surrounding counties (look for Ashland, Mansfield on the map). It's hilly just enough to keep big agriculture at bay that leaves some space for nature, but it's gentle rolling hills nevertheless (unlike SE Ohio), it's not as densely populated as metropolitan areas but it's not a desert either, it's not isolated, it's connected to interstate I-71, so 50-60 miles North or South and you'll hit Cleveland or Columbus metro, yet it has distinct rural feel. As for economy, it's not greatest mildly speaking, but same is true for any smaller city and town in Ohio. If finding a job/income is priority than most likely you'll have to consider 3 major metropolitan areas - Cleveland, Columbus or Cincinnati. Personally, I like Cincinnati metro the most for some reason.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,372 times
I would check out places between Columbus and Canton, as there seem to be a lot of fields that aren't necessarily farmed and nature areas. Just make sure that you aren't in an Amish area as they obviously don't use daycare. Another idea would be places in Clermont County that haven't been developed, as they are not that far from Cincinnati, which still has some sort of Bavarian festivals and Bavarian-influenced businesses. Columbus also does in its German Village neighborhood.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 PM

60 posts, read 261,330 times
wooster, ohio

Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times
Colorado Springs, isn't that where the most recent wildfires hit, taking out many homes? Even though I've never been to Colorado Springs as an adult, I do know what you mean about seeing alot of brown and also about the dry air. I lived in Montana for a short time, and although it was interesting to see how the lanscape changed driving out there, and also what I saw driving out to Salt Lake City three years later, I prefer seeing more green as well.

First thing a person has to concern themselves with obviously, is how easy it'll be for them to get a job. I'm guessing Columbus would be the best place to find one. Doesn't mean you'd necessarily have to live in the city. Maybe you could find a job on the outskirts of town and live in a smaller community where you'd be more likely to see the open spaces, all the while having the amenities of the city nearby.

One thing to always keep in mind also, and I realize you understand this, is you wouldn't want to have to drive too far during winter, especially if you'll have to travel county/country roads. I live in Toledo, and my work place is about a 20-25 minute drive during good weather by highway, but during winter it can be a scary drive because the highways aren't cleared as well as they should be in my opinion. County roads would be even worse, sometimes with blowing, drifting snow thanks to more wide open spaces they often traverse through.

Hope you weren't affected by the fires. Any thought of going back to Germany? It's a very beautiful country, particularly where I was stationed during the 80's in the southern part of the country. I was at a base called Bad Aibling Station, named for the nearby town. And I lived off-base in a small town named Heufeldmuhle (could me misspelled). I still recall my favorite yogurt of all-time that was sold in the stores there, 'Muellers'. I wasn't a big eater, but I could have eaten that stuff all day. It was delicious. Actually, much of the food I had there was very good.

I think you'll like Ohio as long as you end up in the right place for you, and can find a job. Going through an employment/temporary service, is usually the fastest way to find work. I've always used them whenever moving to a new city/town. The temporary jobs sometimes turn into permanent employment, and if they don't at least they help keep the bills paid until you find one.

Good luck whether you decide to be a 'Buckeye' by choice or not.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times
I just noticed a couple of things after reading through your post again. Hate to say it, but if you plan to rent you could have a very hard time finding a place that'll let you have dogs. Not saying you wont be able to, but it's something to keep in my mind. If you plan to buy a house right away, obviously that wont be an issue.

Also, you mentioned being a licensed daycare provider, but does the license carry over to other states? Just curious, because I don't know how hard it is to get a license for that purpose.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I was not affected by the fire as I live on the other side of the city.

I am not planning on moving back to Germany. Europe is beautiful and I will def go there on vacation but the US is my home now and I love it here.

Becoming licensed isn't a big issue but finding enough children is. Plus as you mentioned that it will be hard to rent with dogs OhioJB. :0(

I honestly don't think that I will qualify for a home loan.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,296 times
Athens could be a good area for you. A lot of rentals will allow pets, and it is surrounded by woods with a huge chunk of Wayne National Forrest in the area. Athens is a reasonable distance to Columbus or Huntington (about 100 mi either way). The area has enough amenities to get by with day to day life but a quick 5 min drive to nature out of the city limits.

With OU being the largest employer and a lot of hospitals, there are a lot of working adults who may need childcare. Unfortunately nothing there will satisfy your German roots in regards to food and culture. You would have to go up to Columbus or to Amish country near Canton.

I would be curious if you knew my father. He really wants to move back to the east coast from Colorado Springs for the same reason. He is ex Army. He also lives on the complete opposite side of town from the fires.

Last edited by Momotaro; 07-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM

I just moved here from Germany and Colorado Springs is huge so I am not sure if I met your dad! ;0)

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlum83 View Post
I just moved here from Germany and Colorado Springs is huge so I am not sure if I met your dad! ;0)

Oh probably not. Fun thing is his last tour overseas was Germany. I think in early 2000.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy whatever decision you make!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio