Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,510 times

Advertisements

Every thread that mentions the Warren-Youngstown area usually turns into some people bashing the area or others that seem to see things that the bashers are missing. I am equally guilty. Maybe not equally, but guilty just the same.

It is time for a honest conversation without the exagerations from either side.

For a start I would like to mention V&M. Every thread seems to mention it. It is good that they are expanding. It also will not create enough jobs to offset the recently announced job losses at Patriot Water, the Air Reserve Base, Y-Town Post Office, Parker Hannifin, and the local schools, most recently Niles and Austintown. I do not know of any area schools that have had a net increase in jobs.

The drilling. Some people think this is the last hope for major employment gains. I do not know anyone that has gotten a job in that industry. The people I know do not know anyone that has gotten one of those jobs. How far is it from being a sure thing? Will the workers make at least $50,000 + overtime and benefits? Will unions kill it before it has a chance? I do not know any of these answers. If you do, please reply.

The reputation of the cities of the Valley. How true? When a police chief says that 1/2 of the drivers have no insurance or license. The dog fighting arrests, gangs, and property crimes(stripping the vacant houses, burglary, etc.) Does anyone think that it is exagerated?

I think that is enough to start with. The number of public employees vs. the population, a pet peeve of mine, can be added later along with housing prices, school ratings, and the many good things like The Butler.

Be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM

46 posts, read 93,487 times
Like anyone else, I would agree the expansion in great as well, but the job losses don't make it easy for our area.

As for the schools, it is unfortunate. Let's just hope they can keep up their state report card and maintain being an excellent school without being compromised by the layoffs.

In the conversations I have had with people about the job market, there are still jobs to be had, especially in this up and coming oil and gas industry. These jobs I speak of are the indirect jobs, such as the pipe fitting and welding jobs to make the pipes for the oil and gas industry. I think there is a plant in Brookfield, OH? (I also cannot name one person who is a direct employee of this shale industry yet as well). The problem is that some people seem to think it is just like the good 'ol days where you could go from one job to another without having to take the time to look for work. Today is a different story, employers want educated employees who have some sort of skill training or certification, which is understandable. There are so many local universities and career centers offering classes to become certified in these areas of opportunity, but it is ultimately the decision of the person if they want to take the classes or take the easy way out and sit on the couch and collect unemployment because they are lazy or think they are too good to go get certification. The other reason people in this area can't get a job: they can't pass the drug test....which is disappointing.

What about the land owners who just signed lease agreements with BP? In the coming months they get their payments and eventually the "commission" from the production on their land. This of course is only good. This has the potential to pump millions of dollars into the economy.

I think we have just seen the tip of the ice berg with this drilling thing. As the months go by, I am sure we will see more to come. But like you said, I am one that thinks this is a last hope for major employment gains for our area. All we can do is wait to see what happens. With the controversy that surrounds it, I still say bring it on. We have to take what we can get.

The reputation of the cities:
Regardless of what bad reputation both Youngstown and Warren have had in the past. This place is still and always will be home to me. Although I would consider myself as a cheerleader for the area, it is sad to see the number of people with no priorities. Having a job where I deal with the public on a daily basis in the transportation industry, it is sickening to know how many people drive without insurance or just don't have their life together. There is a severe lack of education among these people who choose this lifestyle. It seems like they have fallen into a trap and they don't care about work or doing the right thing. Not to start a war, but the majority of the people without these priorities are the white trash and the minorities in the area, especially the blacks which also seem to be the center of the crimes and gangs in the area. Although, I don't believe there are many gangs left, it is sad to see where they place their priorities. For example, instead of paying their electric bill or gas bill and being threatened with a shut off notice, they spend money on something else. Like 20" rims for their 1992 Chevy Impala. LOL.

Anyway, I feel that it is exaggerated. The media plays a big role in this too. It seems like every chance they get to report bad news, they are all over it. I think they need to focus on more positive news stories.

But lastly, accountability is key. Criminals need to be held accountable along with local law enforcement and politicians to enforce laws and clean up their towns to make it inhabitable and attractive again. I for one know I won't dare live in certain parts of Warren, OH. The drug activity, blight and shady people up to no good keep me away. If the city of Warren cleaned up these neighborhoods, I imagine people would find their way back. Knocking down old homes is a good start, especially when criminals and drug users inhabit them. It is up to the citizens of the community to hold these leaders accountable!

Wow....I did not intend to be so long winded. LOL.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 AM

Good point about the BP leases. That may be the biggest recent plus.
I think I agree with your entire post.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,263 times
it is time to have an honest discussion, but it will not happen. there are too few regulars here that are too polarized. essentially, there are 2 pro-yoers and 1 anti-activist that go back and forth. there will be some temporary pro-yoers that drop by and there will also be some temporary anti-youngstown commenters as well.

forums like this are not taken seriously by the outside world because anyone can just come on and type. only activists will bother trying to bend a conversation that few will ever read to their will by influencing the "drive-by reader" or "random op asking about the city". legitimate journalism is prone to express ideas that differ from the agenda that an activist wants to portray. not being powerful or organized enough to create their own off-line media, making a comment on a forum or blog post takes on exaggerated importance. attempting to restrict conversation to only positive comments, therefore, is a disingenuous power play.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM

46 posts, read 93,487 times
Well, maybe if people would think more positively, more positive things would happen? Easier said then done of course.

In general though, if people are so anti-youngstown and say they hate this place so much, then why not move away? Why stay and be miserable?

I just don't understand why people have such issues with this area. The people of the community have the power to make changes as they see fit. For example: elected officials. (But again, easier said then done). Although this area is very "democrat heavy," what would happen if republicans would be at the helm? Nobody will ever know. LOL.

It is a discussion to be had, but it would most likely go in circles because nobody would agree on anything. LOL.

But all in all, the people who like living here and love the area will continue to defend it. Maybe we see something that others don't see. We see past the negativity against this area and know deep down this place can be great again as it once used to be.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,939,919 times
Of course I'm a booster of this area, I love it here. I guess everyone's experience is different. It probably depends on if you have a good job or not, if you had a good childhood here (if you grew up here), what kind of neighbors you have and just your life experience in general. I can understand not liking the weather, but if you don't like the weather here you're not going to like it anywhere in the great lakes region.

I live in a nice area, went to good schools, grew up in a very family focused, friendly neighborhood, etc. Most of my friends grew up going to church, they had two parents in the home, there were very few broken families. My dad worked at Packard Electric and my parents lived on a tight budget which allowed my mom to stay home with us. We grew up going to Cleveland, Youngstown and Warren as kids and it was always a good experience. I'm not naive enough to believe all the neighborhoods in Warren are Youngstown are safe, there are neighborhoods in those cities and other towns around here that I know are bad and I avoid them.

My parents taught me to appreciate the things this area offers. I went to YSU and Kent Trumbull and was never afraid. I've never been a victim of crime. There aren't drug addicts and prostitutes walking down my street, although there are drug addicts that live in my town. I'm not dumb enough to think that we don't have our share of losers here.

I choose to have a positive outlook on this area and life in general. I'm sick of the negativity of people around here and I've choosen to make my single voice heard in a sea of negative voices. I'm not saying anyone here or in real life has to agree with me, I'm just here stating my opinions and feelings. If you don't feel the same that's fine, not everyone shares the same opinions, likes or dislikes. I will however, challenge someone when they say something that is false and I won't back down from that.

Obviously no town anywhere is for everyone, if this area isn't for you then you should do everything in your power to move on.......

Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 AM

327 posts, read 1,119,677 times
Can you guys tell me if Perkinswood Avenue or around St Joseph Medical Center is a bad neighborhood?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
Can you guys tell me if Perkinswood Avenue or around St Joseph Medical Center is a bad neighborhood?
It is in the city of Warren. I do not know what you are used to. I wouldn't want to live there. The houses around the hospital look ok but go a couple streets over and its not too great. A little farther south is a lot worse. If you are thinking Warren try to stay north east. North of Market and between Genesee and North Road. The NE part of Warren that is west of Genesee isn't too great either. I am sure you will see many For Sale signs. There is quite a selection to pick from.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Perkinswood north of Market is nicer than south, but it's not a terrible area, just don't expect to get a good return on your money if you buy there unless we gain 100k jobs around here.

I have a friend that lives on Oak Knoll 2 blocks south of market and that's closer to Trumbull Memorial Hospital than Perkinswood. Her street is pretty nice the further north you go, but that area between 422 and E. Market is slowly going downhill, sadly. You can usually tell just by driving around which areas are good and which are not, and which areas are on the decline.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM

If you're looking around St. Joe's I would tell you anything east of there is good if not very nice. Eastland is still a very nice street, my dad grew up there and we sold my grandma's home a few years back. The homes and yards in that area are well maintained and many people have lived there for decades. Usually if there are a lot of owner occupied homes it's a good area, areas start getting shady or down right dangerous where there are lots of rentals and foreclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio