Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 AM

365 posts, read 1,396,118 times

Advertisements

As Realty Trust surveyed its holdings in 1908, it noted:

“The natural scenery of Andrews Hollow possesses more primitive grandeur and beauty than any other spot in the vicinity of Youngstown. For some distance the bed of the ravine is more than 200 feet wide presenting a vast amphitheater, running stream and rocky formations. It would be a matter of small expense to the city to lay out drives on either side of the stream from Wick Avenue to Belmont and make excavations for one or two artificial lakes.”

Realty Trust donated the fifty acres for a park to the city in exchange for the construction of the Fifth Avenue bridge over the ravine. Realty Trust would create Tod Lane and Redondo Road, to flank the park, and the city would–within five years–establish the bridge. Once the bridge–estimated at $50,000–was completed in 1915, the rest of Fifth Avenue and the north side were developed to the Trumbull County line at Gypsy Lane.

Fifth Avenue had been proposed as early as 1903:

“This improvement, together with the one contemplated in Andrews Hollow will give the North Side two of the most picturesque roadways in or about the city.”
It wasn’t until 1913, however, that the road was completed up to Crandall Park, named for the Crandall family, who had owned much of the land. 1913 also saw an important expansion of the city’s limits to Gypsy.

The expansion was needed, as Youngstown’s population–45,000 in 1900–grew during its “Golden Age” to 170,000 by 1930. By 1925, Crandall Park had a lake, tennis courts, and picnic grounds. Its pavilion was added in 1930 and a picnic shelter by 1936. Sledding in Crandall Park | Youngstown Renaissance

Here's a link to a video produced by Ron Flaviano and Mark C. Peyko for the Metro Monthly which shows some of the grand homes back in the 1920's. Many of which still stand today. Youngstown, Ohio - Crandall Park - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 AM

And on with the photos!

Many of the drives and sidewalks are stamped with this

Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Venturing off of Fifth Ave.

One of my personal favorites. I love the home!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 AM

I'll post more as I edit them and/or take them! I'll also try to post some pics of the homes in Crandall Park South, which sadly isn't doing as well as Crandall North.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Thanks for the tour! Looking forward to future installments.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM

8,792 posts, read 15,228,972 times
Thanks for posting! I enjoy checking in to the Ohio forum once in a while and seeing these photo threads (I grew in Mahoning Co).
I am not surprised at how many houses are in poor shape and need work, but at the same time am pleased to see how many look to be very well kept!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM

23,860 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Thanks for the tour! Looking forward to future installments.

Beautiful tour! Beautiful homes. Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I am not surprised at how many houses are in poor shape and need work, but at the same time am pleased to see how many look to be very well kept!
I drive through this area frequently and I never noticed how deteriorated some of the homes were until I walked the neighborhood yesterday. A lot of the homes that I thought were in pretty good shape before looked really rough through the zoom lens.

One home in particular had a huge stack of boxes resting against it's original lead glass windows, literally pushing them from their frame work!! Behind the same home-as well as with several others-there was huge piles of trash, broken down vehicles, trim work and gutters hanging and the landscaping looked like something out of Jurassic Park. Sadly, that's the case with a large number of homes here. It's hard to say if the people living in some of these properties own them, or if they are just renting, but most of these places deserve to be treated better then their owners/tenants are treating them. Basically, there's a large number of people "squatting" in these homes legally.

I've read that a number of the beautiful homes posted above weren't always in such great shape, and thanks to their current owners, many others are being restored or renovated. Hopefully this will be a continuing trend in the area.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 PM

On a side note:

What happened to details like this iron fence? I wish things like this were still done today, or at least on the same scale.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma CTS View Post
I drive through this area frequently and I never noticed how deteriorated some of the homes were until I walked the neighborhood yesterday. A lot of the homes that I thought were in pretty good shape before looked really rough through the zoom lens.

One home in particular had a huge stack of boxes resting against it's original lead glass windows, literally pushing them from their frame work!! Behind the same home-as well as with several others-there was huge piles of trash, broken down vehicles, trim work and gutters hanging and the landscaping looked like something out of Jurassic Park. Sadly, that's the case with a large number of homes here. It's hard to say if the people living in some of these properties own them, or if they are just renting, but most of these places deserve to be treated better then their owners/tenants are treating them. Basically, there's a large number of people "squatting" in these homes legally.

I've read that a number of the beautiful homes posted above weren't always in such great shape, and thanks to their current owners, many others are being restored or renovated. Hopefully this will be a continuing trend in the area.
By your description, one of those sounds like the house Thomas Kelly owns. The house he owns in the Idora Park neighborhood was recently in the news: http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/apr/26/city-gets-courts-ok-to-demolish-idora-ho/

Unfortunately, he also owns a house in the Wick Park neighborhood, on Fairgreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio