Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,371 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious how important "gay rights" are to Ohio voters.

Does a candidates stance on this issue affect your decision to vote for them?

The perception is that Obama is the pro-gay rights candidate in the presidential election. Is this perception true? What has Obama actually done as president that favors gays? Please, do not list what he has said in the past about the issue. I'm interested in actual action.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
It wouldn't be the only reason I would vote or not vote for a candidate, but it's important to me that candidates have social views that are in line with the 21st century and are supportive of equality.

Obama has come out in support of gay marriage, has not defended DOMA, and DADT ended under his administration. These are significant, imo.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:56 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
I don't think gay rights are a huge issue to voters unless it affects them (or someone in their family) directly. Most people who vote down party lines usually do so because of social issues, though there may be a few who switch candidates this election with gay marriage still being a fairly hot-button issue.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Sometimes I'm embarrassed to live in a country with such obvious discrimination against a segment of the population. Though I am not gay, it's troublesome to see some of the homophobic sentiments out there. It's just the wrong side of history to be on. I do believe that Obama is much more pro-gay rights.

Here's a pretty good list: eQualityGiving - Accomplishments by the Administration and Congress on LGBT Equality

Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,179,487 times
Gay rights are only truly an issue to gays and to the part of the voting public who wishes to oppress them. I personally don't have any great push either way, but I believe all people should have equal rights under the law. So, naturally, I would consider voting for any law or candidate which would further that situation for anyone provided that I wasn't at odds on stronger issues.

Obama: Against DOMA and DADT (repealed during his 1st term).

Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Gay rights are only truly an issue to gays and to the part of the voting public who wishes to oppress them.
And those who simply don't believe people should be treated different based on whom they are attracted to...and those with close friends or family who are gay....and those who are worried about theocratic candidates advancing in public office....and those who simply believe in individual FREEDOM to be who you are without institutionalized discrimination.

Your quote is like saying "Women's rights are only important to women and those who wish to oppress them." Um, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio