Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,317,804 times

Advertisements

You are entitled to your opinions, no? Then it would seem that I am entitled to mine.

Have a nice day, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 AM

11,074 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Sounds like a museum to me. And you don't get the "feeling" of New York or Chicago w/o bustling crowds. A city is largely it's people, and Detroit doesn't have too many of those left.

Columbus population: 797,434

Detroit population: 706,585

To try and knock Columbus as a cornfield town, when they have more population than Detroit is kind of funny. I mean really, Detroit is the true cornfield town. They have so much vacant space that urban farming is really on the rise.

Detroit's urban agriculture plans move forward | Michigan news | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
To be fair to Detroit, urban farming is taking off everywhere. Thank Brooklyn hipsters for that!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,249,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
To be fair to Detroit, urban farming is taking off everywhere. Thank Brooklyn hipsters for that!
Findlay Market runs a small farm in OTR, here in Cincy. My point was the scale of urban farming in Detroit, not that it doesn't exist elsewhere.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,379,049 times
imo, detroit has many more things to do. its urban footprint is 3times the size of columbus. columbus is a nice growing city but still small in comparison to detroit ,and for that matter cleveland and cincinnati metros. imo its because of the fact you are in rural/farmland areas after 6-8miles in all directions from the columbus city center(except northside 12miles). its obvious to me when im in detroit ,cleveland or cincinnati that i have many many more options for dining,entertainment or outdoor activities than when im in columbus. maybe some day columbus will exceed the bigger/more developed cities to the north and south. but not in my lifetime.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,249,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
its urban footprint is 3times the size of columbus.
Not sure what an urban footprint, but Detroit is 139 square miles and Columbus is around 225 square miles. Not to mention Detroit has plans to raze vacant neighborhoods and let them return to nature. Detroit is smaller than Columbus. That's just the facts.

Detroit Wants To Save Itself - By Shrinking

And the naked truth is if Detroit's city government cannot figure out how to downsize, the state of Michigan will appoint an emergency manager who will get the job done. Detroit is shrinking, Columbus is growing rapidly.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM

columbus has a larger population within its city boarder, thats all. im not talking sq miles of the cities , but developed urban/suburban sq. miles. sorry if i wasnt clear. let me put it in another context for you. 3 columbus metros (developed urban/suburban land) will fit inside of metro detroits urban/developed areas. you are not in rural/farmland after you drive 6-8 miles from downtown detroit, but you ARE in rural/farmland from downtown columbus... thats my point. columbus metro is small in comparison. imo columbus posters try to portray columbus into some large urban city, and its simply not true. its currently the 3rd largest metro in ohio behind cleveland and cincinnati in population, and a distant 4th in comparison to detroit,cleveland or cincinnati in regards to developed urban/suburban sq. miles of their respective metros. just look at arial maps from space and you will understand what i am saying.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 PM

http://geology.com/articles/night-sa...h-at-night.jpg.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,629,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'm cool with that. Do you have amenities in mind that Detroit has that C-bus does not?

Lake St. Clair
Many inland lakes that offer the option to own a home on a lake.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,629,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Suburbia: Pure Michigan.

I thought sububia is the vast flat suburban cornfields of Columbus.

Last edited by ram2; 12-09-2012 at 01:10 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
imo, detroit has many more things to do. its urban footprint is 3times the size of columbus. columbus is a nice growing city but still small in comparison to detroit ,and for that matter cleveland and cincinnati metros. imo its because of the fact you are in rural/farmland areas after 6-8miles in all directions from the columbus city center(except northside 12miles). its obvious to me when im in detroit ,cleveland or cincinnati that i have many many more options for dining,entertainment or outdoor activities than when im in columbus. maybe some day columbus will exceed the bigger/more developed cities to the north and south. but not in my lifetime.
Columbus is certainly a more compact metro, but that to me just indicates that it doesn't sprawl as much and Detroit, of course, was once significantly more populated than Columbus has ever been. Columbus is at least setting its own population record peak each and every day, unlike Detroit which seems to want to see how far back in time you'd have to go to find it as small as it is now. What are they back to now, 1900? In fact, it's not all that unimaginable that Columbus one day surpasses Detroit's historic peak population before Detroit hits 1 million again.

As far as dining/entertainment, I would think there would be no question 10/20/30 years ago, but that line is disappearing pretty quickly. Certainly outdoors they're very comparable imo, already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio