Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,109 times

Advertisements

Yeah, whatever. Then no city is unique, because every city is comprised of buildings, parks, and roads, contains people and businesses, etc. And no people are unique because they all p*&s and fart and f$%k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM

If you want to argue semantics, how about we go with "all cities are unique, but some cities possess more unique or rare attributes than others" and consider "more unique" to mean "possessing more unique or rare attributes"?

But, of course, you knew that is what was meant anyway. So I'm not sure why making it explicit is helpful.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,474,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
These comments just reflect how insular Cincinnatians are. Every city has different architectural styles within it, not just Cincinnati, and I can point to people who said Cleveland was the "best location in the nation" at one time too. These things are not unique to Cincinnati. It may have more flavor than anything around it, but it does not have more flavor than any other major city in the country.
Hilarious. ... I list seven cities where I have lived the majority of my life other than Cincinnati but my comments "reflect how insular Cincinnatians are"?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,134,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Hilarious. ... I list seven cities where I have lived the majority of my life other than Cincinnati but my comments "reflect how insular Cincinnatians are"?
Most of the places that you listed were either small towns or medium sized towns. Of course none of them have the character of a major city like Cincinnati. My contention was simply that Cincinnati has no more character or unique attributes than any other major city in the country, yet Cincinnatians seem to believe that they are somehow more special. I believe the reason for that is because it's the only big city in its region, and that many people have lived there their entire lives, and have not experienced living in other great cities in this country. For instance Cincinnatians are so proud of their chili and make it out like its so special, but every city has its own unique dishes, but they don't go shoving it in people's faces to tout how unique they are.

Minneapolis is in the same camp as you guys. The biggest city in their region, and a lot of people who have never left, and they too think their city the best thing since sliced bread... but its not.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,250,674 times
Quote:
Most of the places that you listed were either small towns or medium sized towns. Of course none of them have the character of a major city like Cincinnati. My contention was simply that Cincinnati has no more character or unique attributes than any other major city in the country, yet Cincinnatians seem to believe that they are somehow more special. I believe the reason for that is because it's the only big city in its region, and that many people have lived there their entire lives, and have not experienced living in other great cities in this country. For instance Cincinnatians are so proud of their chili and make it out like its so special, but every city has its own unique dishes, but they don't go shoving it in people's faces to tout how unique they are.

Minneapolis is in the same camp as you guys. The biggest city in their region, and a lot of people who have never left, and they too think their city the best thing since sliced bread... but its not.
Right, and I plainly stated I'm a former New Yorker and spent several years in LA...am I insular too? I've lived all over the country and over a dozen cities of various sizes.

Or maybe I've only lived in small towns and am astounded by the big city of Cincinnati.

Ok, sarcasm aside, Cincinnati is very unique and that's from an outsiders perspective. If anything, native Cincinnatians take Cincinnati for granted with their deep seated, skeptical, pessimism.

Cincinnati style chilli is special and so is Goetta. Face it, Cincinnati has a deep history, a unique flavor, and is a very fascinating city.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,474,711 times
Quote:

Wow, you seem to have something going on with Cincinnati. The chili? Good grief.

You don't think Philly brags on its cheesesteaks? Or Chicago boasts about its pizza? Wisconsin is so proud of its cheese that they wear it on their heads to Packers games and so into its sausage that they race them at Brewers games. Heck, Milwaukee is so proud of its beer that it named its team the Brewers!

But yea, we shove our chili on people's faces.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM

As I explained, it is because of my time away, including years in the NYC metro and, especially, a major European capital, that I recognized just how special Cincinnati is. Certainly not from spending my life in Cincy and seeing it as the Big City!

Maybe you should spend some time outside Cleveland/Ohio, Cleverfield? Or perhaps more time in Cincinnati would help you gain perspective.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
You don't think Philly brags on its cheesesteaks? Or Chicago boasts about its pizza? Wisconsin is so proud of its cheese that they wear it on their heads to Packers games and so into its sausage that they race them at Brewers games. Heck, Milwaukee is so proud of its beer that it named its team the Brewers!

But yea, we shove our chili on people's faces.
Right? Seems like someone is jealous their city isn't known for a dish.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Yeah, whatever. Then no city is unique, because every city is comprised of buildings, parks, and roads, contains people and businesses, etc. And no people are unique because they all p*&s and fart and f$%k.
One could certainly make those arguments. Sorry you don't like the English language.

But anyway, yeah, I've always kinda thought the opposite of some thoughts being expressed in this thread. It's seemed to me that 75% of Cincinnatians were born with inferiority complexes and constantly hate on their own city, kinda like Clevelanders to be honest.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
One could certainly make those arguments. Sorry you don't like the English language.

But anyway, yeah, I've always kinda thought the opposite of some thoughts being expressed in this thread. It's seemed to me that 75% of Cincinnatians were born with inferiority complexes and constantly hate on their own city, kinda like Clevelanders to be honest.
Coincidentally, I just watched this video about shootings in NOLA:

Bourbon Street Shooting 2013; New Orleans Police Say 4 People Wounded

The video that starts immediately afterwards starts off about how NOLA is "one of the most unique cities in the country", using the term in the manner I was. I would argue that language changes with use, and I was using a rather well-established definition of 'unique', one which is not so rigid as yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio