Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM

3,416 posts, read 5,152,091 times

Advertisements

They should start to build a network of commuter trains in Ohio similar to what they have in the Northeast. We have enough large population centers to support it IMO. Start by linking Cleveland to Akron, Dayton to Cincinnati. Then add Cincinnati to Cleveland via Columbus, and Cleveland to Pittsburgh via Youngstown. Is it just a pipe dream or will it ever come to fruition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:10 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,915,543 times
It almost came to fruition. Then the 2010 Teapublican wave happened.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,533,336 times
I would love to see this, but I'm kind of doubtful it will happen in my lifetime.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,234,251 times
Republicans...

Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,528,951 times
Just noticed the talk is typical. Northeast to Southwest via Central with no mention of Northwest or Southeast.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,182,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
They should start to build a network of commuter trains in Ohio similar to what they have in the Northeast. We have enough large population centers to support it IMO. Start by linking Cleveland to Akron, Dayton to Cincinnati. Then add Cincinnati to Cleveland via Columbus, and Cleveland to Pittsburgh via Youngstown. Is it just a pipe dream or will it ever come to fruition?
If Ohio would have left Strickland in office, it would have happened. In fact, the only campaign position I remember Kasich having in 2010 was that he would kill the 3C train proposal on Day 1 as governor, despite the fact the project was almost entirely supported by federal funding. Which he did....

Not to go too political, but if you would actually like it to happen, try voting for the democratic gubenatorial candidate in 2014. The Obama administration had money allocated for mass transit projects in 2010, which has likely evaporated by now but might be feasible come 2014. With a supportive Democrat in office, Ohio might be able to ascertain those funds once again from the federal government and get our train built!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,915,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Just noticed the talk is typical. Northeast to Southwest via Central with no mention of Northwest or Southeast.
Columbus, Dayton, or Cincinnati would kill for the train service Toledo has.

You have to expect the first line is going to be in the most densely populated corridor.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,528,951 times
I was talking about connecting those two corners with the rest of the state. It's true that Toledo has trains passing through between New York and Chicago, but a trip between Toledo and Cincinnati takes either 22 or 25 hours depending on direction. As far as travel between Toledo and Columbus, there isn't even an interstate level highway to connect them.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM

908 posts, read 1,424,536 times
I think that the most profitable line would actually be in the opposite diagonal to the one that people usually talk about, if it used the CSX track from Toledo to Columbus that goes through Bowling Green, and then the I and O track with CSX trackage rights that at the moment has track to Nelsonville and is partially ripped up between Nelsonville and Athens, but could be relaid if the project was given enough money. As someone said, Toledo isn't connected to Columbus by an interstate, and during the weekend, you have four relatively populous universities that often have those students travel to the other three for both social and academic reasons.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 PM

3,416 posts, read 5,152,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I think that the most profitable line would actually be in the opposite diagonal to the one that people usually talk about, if it used the CSX track from Toledo to Columbus that goes through Bowling Green, and then the I and O track with CSX trackage rights that at the moment has track to Nelsonville and is partially ripped up between Nelsonville and Athens, but could be relaid if the project was given enough money. As someone said, Toledo isn't connected to Columbus by an interstate, and during the weekend, you have four relatively populous universities that often have those students travel to the other three for both social and academic reasons.
It's true that Toledo kind of gets forgotten by the rest of the state. I don't know if a train line there would be the most profitable though, considering the size of the metro. Honestly, I think we should start small. People aren't going to be traveling from Cleveland to Columbus to go to work every day. Make some lines that people will actually use, like Canton or Youngstown to Cleveland, or Dayton to Cincinnati. Then worry about the big cross-state lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio