Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times

Advertisements

It would be useless to me. I could see it as an alternative to short-hop air travel, perhaps. But I dont see the benefit, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Easy! Redirect some of the money non-users, like me, are "forced" to pay for roads, to alternate forms of transportation, like rail.
Hi JR_C--

The problem with your statement is that the number one source of road construction and maintenance is gasoline taxes - which is only paid by one class of people, and that's whoever buys gasoline to... ahem, use the roads.

Now you could fairly state that gas taxes haven't kept up with the increasing demand to build and upgrade roads - and I would have no problem bringing gas taxes in line with the demand for roads (if they were used for roads and only roads).

But I don't see, short of the gas tax shortfall, how non-users are "forced" to pay for roads.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi JR_C--

The problem with your statement is that the number one source of road construction and maintenance is gasoline taxes - which is only paid by one class of people, and that's whoever buys gasoline to... ahem, use the roads.

Now you could fairly state that gas taxes haven't kept up with the increasing demand to build and upgrade roads - and I would have no problem bringing gas taxes in line with the demand for roads (if they were used for roads and only roads).

But I don't see, short of the gas tax shortfall, how non-users are "forced" to pay for roads.
User-fees (gas taxes, registration fees, etc.) only cover about 60% of the total cost of our roads, in Ohio. Therefore, 40% of the cost of our roads come from other sources.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Quote:
User-fees (gas taxes, registration fees, etc.) only cover about 60% of the total cost of our roads, in Ohio. Therefore, 40% of the cost of our roads come from other sources.
Hi JR_C--

And I would have no problem with bringing gas taxes in line with current demand, even though it probably means a 20-30 cent increase in prices at the pump.

If I had some sort of assurance that the powers that be wouldn't siphon the funds elsewhere.

Such as streetcars.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,414,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
It's called a vote and a tax.
What if I won't use the train? Then I don't have to pay for it, right?

If you answered in the negative to the second question, there is a word for that: theft.

When there is demand for a passenger train within Ohio, the private sector will provide it[provided the government isn't preventing it via regulations, etc]. Until then, you're just asking one segment of society to pay for a luxury that another segment of society wants.

If it requires government subsidies to survive, it isn't necessary.

Last edited by Townes Van Zandt; 04-08-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi JR_C--

And I would have no problem with bringing gas taxes in line with current demand, even though it probably means a 20-30 cent increase in prices at the pump.

If I had some sort of assurance that the powers that be wouldn't siphon the funds elsewhere.

Such as streetcars.
Raising gas taxes so that they come closer to covering the cost of roads would free up other revenue to pay for things like rail infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post

If you answered in the negative to the second question, there is a word for that: theft.

When there is demand for a passenger train within Ohio, the private sector will provide it[provided the government isn't preventing it via regulations, etc]. Until then, you're just asking one segment of society to pay for a luxury that another segment of society wants.

If it requires government subsidies to survive, it isn't necessary.
Schools, libraries, roads, etc. aren't necessary?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post

No, there is a word for that, but it's not theft it's democracy. In democracy, majority rules bub. And if the majority vote in favor of a tax supporting a train, you have to pay it regardless of whether you use it or not. Welcome to America, if you don't like it, you're free to leave.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Schools, libraries, roads, etc. aren't necessary?
Your first mistake: you assume that these things must be provided by the state.

Try again.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
I have no desire to live in this libertarian utopia of yours. It sounds like a nightmare to me. But for you, just realize that it's a pipe dream, bro.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
No, there is a word for that, but it's not theft it's democracy.
LOL. This is the best response I've ever received.

Quote:
Welcome to America, if you don't like it, you're free to leave.
Well, HOWWWW---DY! 'Murica is in the building, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio