Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Cleveland and Columbus OH
11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Reputation: 10385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Okay, fair enough.



Representative of whom? Who is we? It must not include me, because I've never publicly indicated that I want any of the aforementioned services be offered through the government and I did not vote for any of the poltiicians currently in office.

My point is, be careful with these vague notions of "we" and "us". They often mean nothing.
Our system doesn't care what you as an individual really thinks, honestly. Majority rules. Majority voted for something, so it happened, hence the usage of "we." You really don't understand that, or you're just being difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
 
3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
No, we need jobs, just like everyone else.



Okay, let's. Everyone who wants a train can voluntarily donate money toward the cause.

Unless by "let's" you meant using government force so that everyone is forced to pay for your ability to use a laptop while you travel.
This is an unreasonable response to my post. If there was a direct attack in your response I would report it, because I feel the dialogue you are encouraging is negative and derogatory. This is probably evident from your username and its negative connotation. To respond:


Where is your basis that this project won't provide jobs? Who is "everyone else"? Where are your facts?

Voluntarily donate money towards the cause? Did anyone voluntarily donate money for the greatest aspect of our national defense system, the interstate highway system? The railroads, the canals, the National Road, the cow paths?

The Interstate Highway system was the visionary idea of President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who as an army general realized it was nearly impossible to transport the military across our broken highway system. He then went on to fight in WWII and saw the greatness of the German Autobahn, and realized a highway was needed in the USA. The idea was proposed, the funding was allocated, the roads were built. Now we as a nation has enjoyed the prosperity this investment in infrastructure has brought for over 60 years.

We are a globalized society. People can live anywhere in the world. New Ohio college grads like myself are increasingly looking into positions in far-flung places away from Ohio or even the US. An urban, walkable environment is most desirable for these grads and for the American population in general. Less reliance on cars can lead to increased disposable income for the average citizen as well, and bolster communities. Let us as an American populace provide good mass rail transit and pave the way for a new age of connectivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Reputation: 643
I will make this quick, so as to let others give their own opinion of high speed rail in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Where is your basis that this project won't provide jobs?
Where did I say that this wouldn't provide jobs? I said that yp's in Ohio need jobs, not [necessarily] rail. Big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Who is "everyone else"?
Every productive member of society? The last I checked, you need a job in order to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Where are your facts?
I'm not even sure what this statement means. My original post(which you replied to) had 4 sentences. Each sentence was either an apodictic truth or a suggestion. Therefore, your response makes zero sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Voluntarily donate money towards the cause? Did anyone voluntarily donate money for the greatest aspect of our national defense system, the interstate highway system? The railroads, the canals, the National Road, the cow paths?
See the rest of the thread. You will see that we are simply wasting our time discussing this. Focus on high speed rail in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
An urban, walkable environment is most desirable for these grads and for the American population in general.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Less reliance on cars can lead to increased disposable income for the average citizen as well, and bolster communities.
Talk about cutting off the nose to spite the face. Americans would also have more money if they weren't taxed in the first place. And if the government stayed out of transportation, the more efficient, cheaper, and innovative private sector would provide mass transit options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You mix up your subcultures so much it's quite hilarious. I thought I was a hipster? Nobody says gnarly. Not bros. Maybe like teenage girls say yolo. But it is quite obvious you're pretty salty about your lack of logic on any subject, so I'll let it go, bro.
Subcultures? I was just pointing out that you sound like a tool.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Reputation: 643
Anyway, getting back on topic:

Government owned high speed rail projects are obviously very political in nature. The fact that there's a Republican in office tells me that we won't be seeing it anytime soon. Then again, all politicians are hacks, regardless of their party. I could very easily see someone like Kasich flip flopping on this issue if someone waved a large enough amount of cash in his face. Also, he would have to make it palatable to his main voting block(i.e, Billy Bob and Becky Sue from the Cincinnati area). That shouldn't be hard though; just get Fox News to run some two minute piece on how "American" this is, and they will be sold.

Last edited by Townes Van Zandt; 04-09-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Cleveland and Columbus OH
11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Reputation: 10385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Subcultures? I was just pointing out that you sound like a tool.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Again, YOU insulting ME, especially for "being a tool." If that isn't ironic, I don't know what is....

Yeah, better get back to your point. I assume you have one. It's not like you to just go around putting down everyone who didn't drink the Libertariaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Reputation: 5621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Yes.

For starters, I'd be interested in seeing some type of feasibility study done in the past for this sort of thing. I'm sure some organization has looked into the possibility of rail through Ohio. I'd be interested to see what they came up with.
I haven't read these, so don't know exactly what they say. Just did a quick Google search, and they seemed most relevant.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions...ger%20Rail.pdf

http://www.s4prc.org/reports/ohioexecsum.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 PM
 
1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Anyway, getting back on topic:

Government owned high speed rail projects are obviously very political in nature. The fact that there's a Republican in office tells me that we won't be seeing it anytime soon. Then again, all politicians are hacks, regardless of their party. I could very easily see someone like Kasich flip flopping on this issue if someone wagged a large amount of cash in his face. Also, he would have to make it palatable to his main voting block(i.e, Billy Bob and Becky Sue from the Cincinnati area). That shouldn't be hard though; just get Fox News to run some two minute piece on how "American" this is, and they will be sold.
The Taft administration pushed for the 3C line. Rail was not a partisan issue until Obama made it a signature issue and the knee-jerk contrarianism ensued.

You obviously drank some of that TEA, otherwise you would be much more concerned with the socialist boondoggle road system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM
 
1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Reputation: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
The Taft administration pushed for the 3C line. Rail was not a partisan issue until Obama made it a signature issue and the knee-jerk contrarianism ensued.
Which proves my point. It's all about money for both parties, and this an extremely political issue.

It was national news when Kasich tossed out Ohio's former 3C rail plan, so I'd imagine it would take a whole hell of a lot of money for him to flip on this issue. But because he is a politician, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM
 
16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Reputation: 7879
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
What if I won't use the train? Then I don't have to pay for it, right?

If you answered in the negative to the second question, there is a word for that: theft.

When there is demand for a passenger train within Ohio, the private sector will provide it[provided the government isn't preventing it via regulations, etc]. Until then, you're just asking one segment of society to pay for a luxury that another segment of society wants.

If it requires government subsidies to survive, it isn't necessary.
This is not a very rational way to look at transit, especially considering that that roads are highly subsidized by the government and are not run by the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top