Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,961,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Your first mistake: you assume that these things must be provided by the state.

Try again.
And what happens to the economy when travelling anywhere, shipping anything, etc. falls the whim of a private company looking to maximize profits while providing the absolute lowest quality they can get away with? What is a private company's incentive to really do better when consumers don't have other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I must have missed when the ODOT, public schools systems, and every local police and fire department allowed the public to vote on whether or not they should be privatized. Let me know when that vote comes around again.

More importantly, if you allowed the citizens of every state to vote on whether or not the federal government had any power in their respective state, things would not go well for the feds. Perhaps Ohio would want big brother to linger, but there are a number of states which would give uncle Sam the boot in a heart beat.

The moral of the story is that there's a reason governments don't allow you to vote over their existence. Instead, they only allow you vote over who holds power. If they allowed the former, many government entities would be revealed as worthless.
Now there's an idea... privatizing police and fire. You want us to respond to your emergency? How much is that worth to you? Great idea.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,406,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Thanks for the links, JRC. The second link was especially interesting. From the study:

Quote:
While the feasibility study reflected in this report shows that revenue can be expected to exceed operating
costs, we would be less than forthright if we did not acknowledge that there are situational variables in each
corridor – particularly with those that involve any start-up ventures – that must be studied in greater detail. In
addition, there are substantial “unknowns” in emerging federal passenger rail development programs, some of
which center around Amtrak’s ultimate role and funding structures, at the publication of this document.
This study was done in 2004. Given the current state of the federal government, the above can't be good news for proponents of public high speed rail in Ohio.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 PM

Just a heads up: I've already said that I'm not interested in further derailing this thread.

If any of you have a personal axe to grind, feel free to message me. I'd be more than happy to lay out my position on these issues in a more appropriate setting.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,333,772 times
Quote:
Just a heads up: I've already said that I'm not interested in further derailing this thread.
That is to say, he's tired of responding to good points. The thread is pretty on topic, especially for CD standards.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 PM

5,267 posts, read 5,189,202 times
Depending on the cost of use and ease of use, I'd love it...I actually think High Speed Rail between regional Cities would be a better way to travel quickly than flying especially since it's such a hassle to fly now days.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I actually think High Speed Rail between regional Cities would be a better way to travel quickly than flying especially since it's such a hassle to fly now days.
That was one of the points that was made in the study JRC linked to. I think it's a valid point.

According to the same study, one of the main unknowns surrounding a public high speed rail system is federal funding. Since that study was published(2004) the overall health of the economy and especially the federal government have gone downhill.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
That was one of the points that was made in the study JRC linked to. I think it's a valid point.

According to the same study, one of the main unknowns surrounding a public high speed rail system is federal funding. Since that study was published(2004) the overall health of the economy and especially the federal government have gone downhill.
And mass transit use has risen in the same time frame.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,962,956 times
Would never work in America. We're too big and expansive. For example how do you get from one suburb in Columbus to one suburb in Dallas. It would take driving your car to the train station in Columbus, then taking a cab from the train station in Dallas to your final destination. It just doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Would never work in America. We're too big and expansive. For example how do you get from one suburb in Columbus to one suburb in Dallas. It would take driving your car to the train station in Columbus, then taking a cab from the train station in Dallas to your final destination. It just doesn't make any sense.
Not sure how what you're saying is anymore of a negative for rail than it was for highways when they were first growing as a system. You don't start out with a fully built rail system. And rail would not need to be as expansive as highways, anyway. They're meant to be complimentary, not as a full replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio