Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM

549 posts, read 848,638 times

Advertisements

It doesn't even need to be high speed for me to ride it, I would take the 9 hour ride from Cincinnati to Chicago on the Cardinal if it was RELIABLE and came at a DECENT HOUR. As an avid transit user, I find that slower travel speeds are worth it if I can accurately plan my arrival and if I have a comfortable work environment on the vehicle. Give me a 9 hour train with Wifi and working outlets and have 4 trains per day and have it be ON TIME. I'd easily pay $100 to ride that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM

129 posts, read 236,402 times
Laughable. Will never happen. Too expensive. Existing railroad corridors are privately owned. Can you even take a regular speed Amtrak train from Columbus... to anywhere? You also have to realize that the government's version of high speed is maybe 110 MPH, which is not really high speed rail.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac59 View Post
Laughable. Will never happen. Too expensive. Existing railroad corridors are privately owned. Can you even take a regular speed Amtrak train from Columbus... to anywhere? You also have to realize that the government's version of high speed is maybe 110 MPH, which is not really high speed rail.
Too expensive... compared to what? And the idea is to bring back rail to Columbus, that's one of the points.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 AM

65 posts, read 91,760 times
It would take about 10 years to build a rail system linking Columbus to Chicago?! In 10 years time I may not be living in Columbus anyome, or may not even alive (who knows). The Chinese could build a top notch massive network of real bullet train system that is larger than that of Japan and Germany in only 7 (seven) years. And over here the initiative to build such a short track of rail (some ancient rail that already is in place) that is nowhere even close and up to standards of real bullet train speeds would take about 10 years; that is really sad…

The argument that China has more power over its population does not hold much bearing… If the post-war Germany would take 10 years to build a small track of trains, probably most of the German cities would still be in ruins by now. Besides the size, complexity, cost, and legalities of building the freeway system in the USA (with multiple large span lanes, gigantic overpasses, etc) far surpasses that of building a fast rail system

To make things worse, the cost of air-travel within the US is in all time high (during the heyday of airtravel [up to mid 90s] one could easily find a round trip airfare from New York to Los Angeles for less than $100). Comparatively, I can fly in mostly any other country throughout the world for a fraction (3 times less) of the price that I would fly in the US for equivalent distances; interesting enough it used to be the opposite (much cheaper to travel within the US.) Guess an alternative, effective, high performance, and widely available fast rail system linking highly populate metropolitan areas would also introduce a viable alternative of transportation for the populace and some healthy competition.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:20 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Pretty sure our governor killed the train idea in Ohio...

Just one of the many wrong moves the idiotic governor has made...there is no reason the 3Cs shouldnt' be connected by high speed rail to each other and to places like Chicago. Yes i'd go see my stepsister much more often in Chicago if I could hop on high speed rail. I hate flying and the drive is too much on my older car.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:24 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Definitely would have but it's a moot point now.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:44 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I hate flying and the drive is too much on my older car.
That is why I don't travel much either, it would be nice to be able to take a train to see places I would otherwise not be able to.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Not to mention, you wouldn't have to worry about parking your car for $50/day or however much it is in downtown Chicago.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
It would take about 10 years to build a rail system linking Columbus to Chicago?! In 10 years time I may not be living in Columbus anyome, or may not even alive (who knows). The Chinese could build a top notch massive network of real bullet train system that is larger than that of Japan and Germany in only 7 (seven) years. And over here the initiative to build such a short track of rail (some ancient rail that already is in place) that is nowhere even close and up to standards of real bullet train speeds would take about 10 years; that is really sad…

The argument that China has more power over its population does not hold much bearing… If the post-war Germany would take 10 years to build a small track of trains, probably most of the German cities would still be in ruins by now. Besides the size, complexity, cost, and legalities of building the freeway system in the USA (with multiple large span lanes, gigantic overpasses, etc) far surpasses that of building a fast rail system

To make things worse, the cost of air-travel within the US is in all time high (during the heyday of airtravel [up to mid 90s] one could easily find a round trip airfare from New York to Los Angeles for less than $100). Comparatively, I can fly in mostly any other country throughout the world for a fraction (3 times less) of the price that I would fly in the US for equivalent distances; interesting enough it used to be the opposite (much cheaper to travel within the US.) Guess an alternative, effective, high performance, and widely available fast rail system linking highly populate metropolitan areas would also introduce a viable alternative of transportation for the populace and some healthy competition.
The Chicago-Columbus line, according to the planners, was/is set for a 2020 or earlier date of service. It will just come down to funding, I think. Right now, I believe the project is still in the environmental impact study. It's already done an economic feasibility one.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:44 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,140 times
The downfall is that once you get to Columbus you still won't have any great mass transit to get around the city: at least there's that new circulator I saw and I was surprised that they even had maps of the route posted at each stop. Of course, if my parents move by 2020 this HSR line will be years too late for many people including myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio