U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM

6,150 posts, read 11,695,483 times

Advertisements

It seems that Ohio is thinking about making smokers pay more, ie $5 more per pack of smokes more. You go for it Ohio, make them suck it up and please don't use any of the extra money for sports at any level. Use it for cancer research were it is truly needed and for childhood illnesses.

Now with all that said: I'd like to hear your views on this matter Ohio and any other who'd like to add in on this matter in reference to your states smokers issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 02:26 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,710,548 times
As an occasional smoker, I say "fine with me." Smoking has a lot of negative effects on people other than the smokers themselves. They should contribute to fixing the problems they create/perpetuate. It's not your right to bring problems to other people. To me, it's a question of personal responsibility.

I'm glad the Republicans are doing it; otherwise, we'd see an extra ton of feigned outrage at "government".

Old 09-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Being a former smoker myself and glad that I quit years ago. I'd like to see the cig tax hike go through. But I still don't want to see a dime of that money going back to the smokers in any way, they, like myself know of its (smokings) damaging effect and need to deal with it on their own. To bad Obamacare isn't able to allow the insurance companies to charge smokers and alcoholics to pay more on their premiums. But no, the rest of us have to carry them on ours in one way or another.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,717,114 times
Fine with me, as a non smoker I can't stand that smell and inhaling it second hand is something I don't like doing. When it comes to something like this, tax away.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:50 PM

What gets my goat is that I'm a local truck driver and if you let your truck get a little dusty, they yell atcha for it. But the smokers truck absolutely reek of smoke and they say nothing to them. Especially when they use a non-smokers truck and light up in as if there's no problem and the company says nothing to them for that either.

But it does makes me laugh when they (the smokers) sit there complaining amount not making enough money (as they light up another one) and make the same as I do. So the state can tax away their paycheck if they're dumb enough to keep on smoking. I still think they should make them pay more of they insurance than the non-smoker do.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,710,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
I still think they should make them pay more of they insurance than the non-smoker do.
I can sympathize with this idea, but it makes me wonder where the line is to be drawn. Do we charge fat people more for insurance? Should we monitor people's diets and exercise habits? What's to stop people from lying about smoking? How is it determined if they're lying? How much do you have to smoke in order to be considered a smoker? (That one concerns me, since I like to indulge occasionally, but I can go months without any, or perhaps polish off a pack over the course of a week or two.) Should spouses of smokers pay more, too?

The tax seems like a reasonable way to make smokers cough up some penance for the damage they inflict on society, and it works directly in proportion to how much they're doing it. Charging them more for insurance is fraught with logistical, and perhaps Constitutional, problems.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 AM

6,673 posts, read 6,559,321 times
Smokers do pay more for insurance. There are tobacco rates and non tobacco rates. Check out ehealthinsurance and you will see they pay a big difference.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 AM

13,828 posts, read 12,240,703 times
Many of the worst drinkers and smokers don't carry insurance and/or are unemployed anyway, and hospitals & doctors pass the cost of their care onto everyone else. They should be taxed at the source (tobacco & liquor sales), but that money should go to help offset health care costs for everyone, or be used to fund Medicare/Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio