Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,083,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There is still a ton of room for more people in Dayton and Columbus. Could probably fit double Cbus's current population within its massive borders. A Columbus that stretches to Dayton would be a sprawl nightmare.
Which is kind of ironic considering that people seem to love the sprawl between Dayton and Cincy.

As for the topic... No. Columbus isn't really growing westward because of the natural development limitations from the Big Darby watershed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,166,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Suburban sprawl sucks.

I miss my small farm town I lived in as a kid where I rode my bicycle anywhere I wanted, if I was to ride my bike to work today I would be killed by some jackwad in a hummer talking on his cell phone.
Personaly I am glad we had the foreclosure crisis, the housing bubble bursting will be viewed as the salvation of small town America in the future, although too late.
I'd agree. I'm hoping the crisis is making people realize that bigger is NOT always better. Think about all of the expense and upkeep that has to go into one of those McMansions!

It does seem the average post-crisis homebuyer is far more concerned with a sense of community, amenities and walkability than house size or age. This is boding well for city boundaries within large cities, small, walkable towns, and more sustainable development alike. It's a win-win-win!

(that is, if it does not revert...)

Old 09-08-2013, 02:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,028,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Which is kind of ironic considering that people seem to love the sprawl between Dayton and Cincy.

As for the topic... No. Columbus isn't really growing westward because of the natural development limitations from the Big Darby watershed.
It's really more than the Big Darby watershed. As mentioned by others, Columbus and Springfield are separated by many rural miles, whereas Springfield-Dayton-Cincinnati aren't. No matter how much Cbus may dream for its "Dayton East," it won't happen in anyone's lifetime.

For better or worse, Springfield has long been accepted as a part of the fast-emerging "CIN-DAY," and nothing else. (As was pointed out by another forum-member. Columbus is expanding, but primarily to its northwest, including Dublin, Delaware, and Marysville--but that farmland between Cbus and Springfield is virtually insurmountable and therefore will never be a part of its metro.)

Old 09-08-2013, 02:44 PM

11,074 posts, read 12,471,033 times
I do have to say, you can have the Cin-Day thing if you want, but it's really nothing to be proud of. Cincinnati is cool, but personally I'd never want to live in that inbetween area. It's pretty bad.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:49 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,300,574 times
No, I don't see it happening.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,028,553 times
Nobody's saying that metro-Columbus isn't growing, but nothing significant is happening between it and Springfield, Ohio. (The satellite maps demonstrate this best; if anything, significant growth anywhere in Springfield is southwest towards Dayton and Cincinnati.)

Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,665,407 times
Like OHKID said, Springfield only builds on its northern end, because that's the only part of town which is still seen as safe/desirable to live. It's not growing in any direction toward either Dayton or Columbus; the towns furthest west of Columbus still considered commuter/bedroom communities would probably be London and West Jefferson, and as mentioned they are still quite rural. Dayton will probably not expand much further east or north than where the BC/FB/HH suburbs are now.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:04 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,910,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I do have to say, you can have the Cin-Day thing if you want, but it's really nothing to be proud of. Cincinnati is cool, but personally I'd never want to live in that inbetween area. It's pretty bad.
Hamilton and Middletown have a lot of potential. In general, I agree with you. I think a rail link between the two cities would work wonders, though; especially with stops in Hamilton and Middletown.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 PM

324 posts, read 403,083 times
Because Columbus has arguably the strongest economy in the Midwest, it's just a matter of time before development expands to the west along I-70 and to the southwest along I-71. Remember, Madison County is where Delaware County was 30 years ago. And don't be surprised if Springfield becomes part of the Columbus area in another decade or two.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,083,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
It's really more than the Big Darby watershed. As mentioned by others, Columbus and Springfield are separated by many rural miles, whereas Springfield-Dayton-Cincinnati aren't. No matter how much Cbus may dream for its "Dayton East," it won't happen in anyone's lifetime.

For better or worse, Springfield has long been accepted as a part of the fast-emerging "CIN-DAY," and nothing else. (As was pointed out by another forum-member. Columbus is expanding, but primarily to its northwest, including Dublin, Delaware, and Marysville--but that farmland between Cbus and Springfield is virtually insurmountable and therefore will never be a part of its metro.)
I don't think anyone in Columbus has any eyes on Dayton at all and no one is dreaming of a "Dayton East". For that matter, no one is dreaming of connecting to Springfield, either. Some of you Cincinnati folks are the only ones fawning all over Dayton and its miles of sprawl (and yes, there are many miles between Cincinnati and Dayton too. They're just filled with tract housing and strip centers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio