Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,693 times

Advertisements

Is this real? Are taxes really like this in the state of Ohio? I'm from Montgomery county, So based on Montgomery county's property tax, they take the 100% appraised value and then tax it at 35%. So say I have a property appraised at 78,000, so its 35% tax value would be 27,300. Then based on the tax rate for my area, it's 81.35 (even after all the reductions 10% rollback, 2.5% etc blah blah blah), which simply means I pay $81.35 for every $1000 on my 35% property tax value. So 81.35 x 27.3 or 27,300 x 0.08135 = 2,220.8. So all in all, I would be paying over $2,000 a year ALONE on property taxes for a property that isn't even worth that much? Even when you divide the amount to figure your property tax rate its about 8.1% of the 35% that you pay or 2.8% of $78,000 the total appraised value? Is this for real? I checked into other states and I didn't realize how high Ohio is in reference to some of the other states. Actually I should know, I came from Louisiana, they have the lowest property tax rate in the country, I also grew up in Utah, Montana and Ohio but I never owned property anywhere. My family was in Ohio so I ended up investing here for the time being, but now most of my family either died or left somewhere else and I'm planning on moving back to Louisiana for good this time. Based on property taxes in Ohio, I say I have a damn good compelling argument why I should leave. The jobs are gone around here, what are people supposed to do? That's why Detroit when in the **** hole. Property taxes for Wayne county where Detroit is were horrible even after all the manufacturing jobs left. I guess Ohio politicians aren't smart enough to for see any disaster for the state in the future. By the way, I own my property out right, so I don't have a mortgage or anything. It's "free and clear" from any bank which doesn't mean jack**** if I'm still paying the county over $2K just in taxes, which means I could still lose it if I fall behind.

What am I to say about this? Is this really right or am I just misunderstanding something about property taxes in Ohio especially Montgomery county? I'm all for supporting police departments, firefighters and other services, thats not the problem. It just seems like for that amount of money, I don't know what they do. I know where it goes. I just don't know what to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I hardly think Detroit's problems could be attributed solely to property taxes.

$2,200 sounds awfully good to me.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I hardly think Detroit's problems could be attributed solely to property taxes.

$2,200 sounds awfully good to me.
Vs Less than $1000 a year in Terreborne Parish in Louisiana where I was from. Maybe the problem is me then. Plus I think Louisiana does have the option for all homeowners that they can apply for Homestead tax exemption on properties appraised up to $75,000, so property taxes stay fairly low if you know what you're doing. Ohio does have the homestead option but its only for 65 or older I believe.

My aunt lives in Scottsdale, AZ. She paid over $500,000 for her home. I think from what I remember she said it was appraised at somewhere around $334,000. But her taxes yearly are around $3,400. Just $1300 off from what I'm paying.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
I live in Cuyahoga County. My taxes are under $2,000 for a property worth more than $100,000. I think you'd be best off checking your math. Ohio is middle of the road when it comes to taxes.

Besides, if you're planning on moving back to Louisiana regardless, why complain about something that won't affect you anyway? Just move back there.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepecheMode View Post
Is this real? Are taxes really like this in the state of Ohio? I'm from Montgomery county, So based on Montgomery county's property tax, they take the 100% appraised value and then tax it at 35%. So say I have a property appraised at 78,000, so its 35% tax value would be 27,300. Then based on the tax rate for my area, it's 81.35 (even after all the reductions 10% rollback, 2.5% etc blah blah blah), which simply means I pay $81.35 for every $1000 on my 35% property tax value. So 81.35 x 27.3 or 27,300 x 0.08135 = 2,220.8. So all in all, I would be paying over $2,000 a year ALONE on property taxes for a property that isn't even worth that much? Even when you divide the amount to figure your property tax rate its about 8.1% of the 35% that you pay or 2.8% of $78,000 the total appraised value? Is this for real? I checked into other states and I didn't realize how high Ohio is in reference to some of the other states. Actually I should know, I came from Louisiana, they have the lowest property tax rate in the country, I also grew up in Utah, Montana and Ohio but I never owned property anywhere. My family was in Ohio so I ended up investing here for the time being, but now most of my family either died or left somewhere else and I'm planning on moving back to Louisiana for good this time. Based on property taxes in Ohio, I say I have a damn good compelling argument why I should leave. The jobs are gone around here, what are people supposed to do? That's why Detroit when in the **** hole. Property taxes for Wayne county where Detroit is were horrible even after all the manufacturing jobs left. I guess Ohio politicians aren't smart enough to for see any disaster for the state in the future. By the way, I own my property out right, so I don't have a mortgage or anything. It's "free and clear" from any bank which doesn't mean jack**** if I'm still paying the county over $2K just in taxes, which means I could still lose it if I fall behind.

What am I to say about this? Is this really right or am I just misunderstanding something about property taxes in Ohio especially Montgomery county? I'm all for supporting police departments, firefighters and other services, thats not the problem. It just seems like for that amount of money, I don't know what they do. I know where it goes. I just don't know what to say.
People who only look at taxes when factoring in cost of living are missing a TON of other important things. Food, healthcare, utilities, etc. are all important as well. Ohio has the 13th lowest overall cost of living out of the 50 states plus DC. If you think living in Ohio is expensive, you're not looking hard enough.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,807 times
Heck of a lot cheaper than renting a house for a year, so assuming the value on it doesn't tank, $2k ain't too bad. But like Cleveland_Collector says, you should check your math. Or just hightail it to (Shangri-)LA and fuhgeddaboudit.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Property taxes are local. Look at your tax bill and see what you are paying for. Are you getting the same services in La?

Your aunt in Az. most likely pays into an HOA that covers some of the things your taxes would cover in Ohio.

Always look at the sales tax differences too. Are they the same rate? Do they fund things in La that are funded by property taxes in Ohio? That is a big difference in Arizona. I pay 6.3% while some people in the same county pay as much as 3.5% more.

Your taxes seem SLIGHTLY high compared to what I paid in Ohio. That little bit you pay should not be a factor on where you live. If you were in New England I could see moving for that reason, but not for the little bit more you are paying now in Ohio.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,824 times
Quote:

DepecheMode--

As a percentage of appraised value, Montgomery County has one of the highest property tax rates in the state - I think it's second out of 88, behind only Cuyahoga County. It's because of a lot of levies that subsidize various programs - Sinclair College, RTA, Dayton Metro Library, local school districts, etc. - that jack the taxes up across the board.

Owning property in Montgomery County is generally a poor investment for that reason, as the taxes add significantly to any cost of ownership - often several hundred dollars per month.

If you ever get a chance, get off I-675 at Wilmington Pike and head south towards Bellbrook. Ever wonder why all the development and shopping is on one side of the road? That side of the road is in Sugarcreek Township, in Greene County. The only big thing on the Montgomery County side of the line is Miami Valley Hospital South - and that's because Premier Health Partners is a nonprofit, so they're exempt from a lot of taxes.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 PM

225 posts, read 462,213 times
I paid over 10k a year in taxes in Houston, Texas...I have since moved to Ohio bought a house worth the same and pay 4k a year. On top of that due to much lower insurance rates my monthly payment is 700 dollars less than my house in Texas. I love it here.

I have spent a lot of time in Louisiana, my best friend is from West Monroe. He says the schools there are very poor, which could explain the low property taxes since property taxes are the main source for funding local public schools.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Property taxes for Wayne county where Detroit is were horrible even after all the manufacturing jobs left.

Completely untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio