Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,705 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Ohio and now that I'm retiring from the military I'm ready to return. Our sons are in one of the best school systems in the state but it doesn't compare to the quality of education available in Ohio.

We haven't made a final decision on a community but are placing a priority on a quality school system. We're leaning toward Medina Co but remain open to other suggestions.

Here's what we'd like to find:

Excellent high school
Variety of homes available in the $200-250K range
Job for me (retiring Air Force officer) How's the job market in the Akron-Canton, west Cleveland area?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 06:08 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,105,098 times
We live in southern Lorain County. There are lots of house up for sale here, approx. 2,000 are on the market right now, due to the lack of jobs. Medina is one of the good counties as far as I'm concerned, if you choose wisely where you want to move to. Take your time, look around and ask lots of questions about the community and not just the schools. We have been having a big influx of gang related crimes all over, Look up the term MS13 with local PD's. Its a new gang from South America.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,350 times
Default Chesterland

If you like rural areas close to town we love Chesterland township it is about 25min east of Cleveland. It is a beautiful area with tons of trees and houses set back from the roads. The falls are magnificent. Tons of apple orchards and about 5 min from Walmart and strip malls. They have a good small highschool with lots of individual attention. A small close knit community with good old fashion values. Many people drive to downtown Cleveland for work.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:06 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,741,382 times
Does Chesterland Township have a website? I think I went there once years ago when I lived in Waterville, OH. If there are some pictures of the main street of town area, I might recognize it.
Thanks.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM

16 posts, read 80,936 times
What sort of work do you do? Some job markets are booming around Akron, some declining. Have you looked at Wadsworth? It's in Medina County, excellent schools, and you get a lot of house for the money!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,486,475 times
If you don't have to return to Medina Co., see what the area around Wright-Patterson AFB offers. (Montgomery, Green & Miami Counties) Despite a decline in the automotive sector, WPAFB is looking to bulk up as an R7D center and is attracting a number of defense contractors to relocate here along with the increasing active duty and civilian personnel under BRAC. There are plenty of nice areas with great schools near the base. AND...no "lake effect" snow!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDTwinsMom View Post
What sort of work do you do? Some job markets are booming around Akron, some declining. Have you looked at Wadsworth? It's in Medina County, excellent schools, and you get a lot of house for the money!
I've been a career aviator and a MAJCOM staff officer. A lot of experience running multi-million dollar weapons development programs. And the usual leadership positions most field graders are exposed to.

I have considered Wadsworth and it's still on my list.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:35 PM

16 posts, read 80,936 times
I've heard that Lockheed-Martin got some new contracts, so they're probably hiring. It's worth checking their website. They have a location in Akron.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:40 AM

138 posts, read 674,409 times
Dayton (WPAFB) is a great area. Great commissary and medical facilities. If you decide on the Dayton area, stay away from Mad River, Trotwood, Fairborn and Dayton city schools. Look into Tipp City and Huber Heights. I don't know much about the Springfield and Enon schools. There are areas "South of Town" that would be worth checking into, Bellbrook, Kettering, Centerville.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,294 times
Cool Have you considered Lake County, east of Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc32566 View Post
I was raised in Ohio and now that I'm retiring from the military I'm ready to return. Our sons are in one of the best school systems in the state but it doesn't compare to the quality of education available in Ohio.

We haven't made a final decision on a community but are placing a priority on a quality school system. We're leaning toward Medina Co but remain open to other suggestions.

Here's what we'd like to find:

Excellent high school
Variety of homes available in the $200-250K range
Job for me (retiring Air Force officer) How's the job market in the Akron-Canton, west Cleveland area?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Mentor has homes and jobs available and east of there the suburbs turn to country. Mentor schools are among the top in academics and sports. (High School football team is going to state finals). Madison schools are top in academics also. Good Hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: