Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 09:13 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Perhaps, but with Philadelphia they could latch onto the whole patriotic angle too. If location is all Columbus has to go on, it probably won't work in the end.
I'm still not expecting Columbus to be picked. I don't think the patriotic angle of Philly is more alluring than the strategic location of Columbus, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That's just hyperbole from Coleman to bring the convention here. No one's going to ignore Ohio during election time, and picking Columbus for the reason he stated will just make the Dems look desperate. Of course, in the end it will be good for the state to have both, but it's the GOP who need Ohio more than the Dems.
IF Ohio had gone red in 2012...Obama still had enough electoral votes to win that election, albeit it would have been closer...but he still had enough.

Where the conventions go means absolutely nothing to how the state votes...the Dems were in NC in 2012, but Romney won the state...the GOP was in FL in 2012, but Obama won it handily...

If the Dems don't pick Ohio and they lose the state, it won't be because Cleveland, a very democratic city that is not going to switch to republican is hosting the RNC...it will be bacause they don't have as good of a candidate as the GOP or because Husted won reelection as Secretary of STate this year and continues to suppress the inner city vote of minorities

Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
IF Ohio had gone red in 2012...Obama still had enough electoral votes to win that election, albeit it would have been closer...but he still had enough.

Where the conventions go means absolutely nothing to how the state votes...the Dems were in NC in 2012, but Romney won the state...the GOP was in FL in 2012, but Obama won it handily...

If the Dems don't pick Ohio and they lose the state, it won't be because Cleveland, a very democratic city that is not going to switch to republican is hosting the RNC...it will be bacause they don't have as good of a candidate as the GOP or because Husted won reelection as Secretary of STate this year and continues to suppress the inner city vote of minorities
Exactly. I sincerely hope that the conventions are not going to certain states because either party thinks it will sway the voters to vote its way. If that were the case, then the DNC should go to Birmingham or Phoenix or just keep both conventions in Ohio until such time that Ohio loses its ''importance'' in voting for the winner. I would like to see the DNC in Philly; great city, plenty to do, facilities (although the arena is in South Philly, but the subway is right there); strategically, big, important state if one wants to go that route.

DNC in Columbus? Especially with the mayor's threats, I don't think it would do the DNC any good going there and might seem desperate because the RNC is in Cleveland. Coleman's playing up Columbus as a strategic city only and not as a real convention-destination city. That said, the DNC might just go there although I can't imagine how considering the RNC cut Columbus in the 1st round.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm still not expecting Columbus to be picked. I don't think the patriotic angle of Philly is more alluring than the strategic location of Columbus, though.
Why don't you expect COL to be picked?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:03 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
THere is not one example in recent history of the state where a convention was held just decided to vote for that party that had their convention there. Not one. Even if there were one, good luck trying to prove any kind of influence from the convention.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Exactly. I sincerely hope that the conventions are not going to certain states because either party thinks it will sway the voters to vote its way. If that were the case, then the DNC should go to Birmingham or Phoenix or just keep both conventions in Ohio until such time that Ohio loses its ''importance'' in voting for the winner. I would like to see the DNC in Philly; great city, plenty to do, facilities (although the arena is in South Philly, but the subway is right there); strategically, big, important state if one wants to go that route.

DNC in Columbus? Especially with the mayor's threats, I don't think it would do the DNC any good going there and might seem desperate because the RNC is in Cleveland. Coleman's playing up Columbus as a strategic city only and not as a real convention-destination city. That said, the DNC might just go there although I can't imagine how considering the RNC cut Columbus in the 1st round.
After what you already said, it's impossible to believe that you want Columbus to lose for any other reason than spite.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
THere is not one example in recent history of the state where a convention was held just decided to vote for that party that had their convention there. Not one. Even if there were one, good luck trying to prove any kind of influence from the convention.
Everyone already knows this, including the mayor and the convention committee.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Why don't you expect COL to be picked?
No, I'm not going to play that game with you, but I will say that I'm keeping my expectations to an absolute minimum.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
After what you already said, it's impossible to believe that you want Columbus to lose for any other reason than spite.
Not spite as much as I think Columbus is not qualified to handle this type of event. I think you're referring to the spite and lack of support or endoresements from COL and CIN for CLE after it became one of the four finalists, then during the final competition between CLE and Dallas.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
No, I'm not going to play that game with you, but I will say that I'm keeping my expectations to an absolute minimum.
I don't why you will not elaborate on your ''absolute minimum'' expectations for COL in the DNC competition. I mean you are Mr. Columbus on this forum. I believe it's because you think COL is our of its league in trying to land the DNC and the article from the PD last March about CLE possibly losing to COL was accurate.

Not a big deal but maybe you shouldn't minimize COL in the DNC competition without including a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio