Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Here is the main thrust of the agreement that I signed with my company to work as a Tower Climber. It also includes a non-compete clause and a confidentiality clause. I am wishingthat I hadn't signed this. The conditions at this company are not as promised and things are not going well here. It feels a little bit like slavery, to be honest. Is this agreement legally enforceable? Could the company sue or try to garnish wages if a worker quits during this time frame. I'll probably just gut out the nine months, then quit, but it's a crappy situation that is destroying my home life. They promised 3 week rotations and now we work five weeks out, one week home. They promised more pay. They promised opportunity for advancement. They promised work in our home states. Non of this is happening and the more successful and hard working a guy is the more they get thrown under the bus. PLEASE HELP

Here's the wording, minus my companies name:

In addition to your compensation, (MYCOMPANY) will provide you with a two week Cell Tower Safety program that includes
certification and a three week field vetting. (MYCOMPANY) is committed to making a significant investment in training you.
If your employment with (MYCOMPANY) is terminated due to your resignation or your termination with cause prior to you completing nine months of employment with (MYCOMPANY), you will be responsible for reimbursing (MYCOMPANY) for all or a portion of (MYCOMPANY) $15,000 investment for the training costs.
We have established a repayment plan based on months of service as follows:
6 months or less =$15,000
6-7 months=$11,250
7-8 months=$7,500
8-9 months=$3,750
9 months=$0
We recognize that you retain the option, as does the Company, of ending your employment
with the Company at any time, with or without notice and with or without cause. As such, your
employment with the Company is at-will and neither this letter nor any other oral or written
representations may be considered a contract for any specific period of time.
Should your employment with (MYCOMPANY) terminate, you will not during the twelve month period following such termination of your employment directly or indirectly perform duties or
responsibilities as a consultant, employee or otherwise for any person or entity in the United States that is devoted to or engaged in a business which is substantially similar to the business of (MYCOMPANY)

Last edited by towerdog; 05-19-2014 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: it ws screwed up
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,187,455 times
Did you get any of the other "promises" in writing? If not, they have no obligation to keep their word. If they are in writing and they aren't meeting their end of the deal, my guess is that they would not attempt to enforce the agreement you signed if you were to quit. In any case, these contracts are legal and binding. What they could not do is withhold hourly pay. They would have to sue you for the reimbursement. From what you have posted, they would probably receive a favorable judgement because they did provide you with a measurable training expense (they would have to likely prove the actual value of the training). If you have real concerns about this, it would be smart to consult an attorney.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio