Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 15,410 times

Advertisements

Hi,

For anyone who has driven through PA…

We will be driving from Brooklyn NY to Ohio this weekend and then back, either on I-80 or the turnpike, and would like recommendations for nice nature areas or parks close by these highways.

We are just looking for a nice green state park-type area to have lunch and run the dog and if possible, be able to see some nice PA nature!

It does not have to be RIGHT off the road; I don't mind if it is 10-15 minutes from the highway, but we don't want to drive 30-45 minutes to get to something, because it just adds too much time to the trip for us.

I may take one of these highways to Ohio and the other one back - so you can suggest nature areas for either highway.

Also, if anyone wants to recommend one highway route over another - please do so!

ps - if you happen to know toll costs on those routes, (not sure if I-80 has any tolls), please feel free to tell me! (I cannot figure it out via the PA turnpike website because I can't tell where I would be entering and exiting).

From googlemaps, it looks like it's 25? minutes longer to take I-80 as opposed to the turnpike, but the turnpike looks like it has tons of construction as well as not being as scenic.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:47 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I can't answer your main question, but just as an FYI there are no turnpikes in OH. The concept of paying to drive through a highway kinda threw me when I went through PA. Not sure to which part of OH you're traveling, but the only other main route from Brooklyn would be 95/76/70, but that only works if you're heading to Columbus or other part of central/southern Ohio.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I can't answer your main question, but just as an FYI there are no turnpikes in OH. The concept of paying to drive through a highway kinda threw me when I went through PA. Not sure to which part of OH you're traveling, but the only other main route from Brooklyn would be 95/76/70, but that only works if you're heading to Columbus or other part of central/southern Ohio.
What are you talking about?!? The Ohio Turnpike runs all the way across the state. It's I-76 from the PA line to Youngstown and then I-80 (and I-90 west of Cleveland) from Youngstown to the Indiana line.

OP, which part of Ohio will you be traveling to? I-80 is definitely the more scenic route through PA, as opposed to I-76 (the PA Turnpike). No tolls on I-80 in PA either. I-80 is also a lot closer to Brooklyn than I-76. I-76 and I-80 intersect about 20 miles into Ohio.

I'd only recommend I-76 if you're going to Columbus or Cincinnati (or anywhere else in Central Ohio), as you'd be exiting I-76 for I-70 in PA.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I meant turnpikes which charge tolls.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM

220 posts, read 330,151 times
Hey Natural, The Ohio turnpike charges tolls. Its def worth it if you're in a rush. :-)

Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I meant turnpikes which charge tolls.
It does charge tolls. Here's the rate calculator.

Also OP, if you don't have an EZ Pass already, get one before the trip! You can buy one in NY or NJ and use it in PA and Ohio (and Illinois, Indiana, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine). You'll save a bunch in tolls by using it.

For example, it's $17 to go all the way across the Ohio Turnpike without an EZ Pass and just $11.50 with one. In PA, It's $43.90 to go from the Ohio line to the NJ Line without EZ Pass and $31.38 with one.

Here's the PA toll calculator as well.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:02 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I-80 is very scenic and has no tolls, it is my route of choice when heading east.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Home - Mill Creek MetroParks In Youngstown is always worth a trip.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Vermilion is nice, they have a lighthouse / park with a beach.

Besides there, the most scenic spot would be Cuyahoga Valley NP, which forms a good chunk of the "Emerald Necklace" around Cleveland. I think Cuyahoga Falls should only be a couple miles off the toll road, probably the most worthwhile stop.

East of Cleveland, you are going to be hitting Ohio's flatter countryside. The country vistas are scenic, but there are fewer parks with natural sights. Seneca Caverns shouldn't be too far off if you are into caves.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 15,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
It does charge tolls. Here's the rate calculator.

Also OP, if you don't have an EZ Pass already, get one before the trip! You can buy one in NY or NJ and use it in PA and Ohio (and Illinois, Indiana, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine). You'll save a bunch in tolls by using it.

For example, it's $17 to go all the way across the Ohio Turnpike without an EZ Pass and just $11.50 with one. In PA, It's $43.90 to go from the Ohio line to the NJ Line without EZ Pass and $31.38 with one.

Here's the PA toll calculator as well.
That is SO EXPENSIVE! $31.38 with EX, which I have is WAY too much. I will take i-80 for sure. Thanks.

It's NYC to Cincy, by the way. Blue Ash actually. But the 30 minutes more on i-80 doesn't matter for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio