Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: By mid-century which one do you think will be the most dominant city of Ohio?
Columbus 42 46.67%
Cincinnati 17 18.89%
Cleveland 31 34.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:45 PM

30 posts, read 40,047 times

Advertisements

Okay I have to jump in and defend jbcmh81 and Columbus a bit.

What drives me insane on these boards is that a majority of CLE and CIN promoters incessantly b*tch about CBUS annexation. All thats ever posted is about annexation being the reason for CBUS sprawl and inflated population numbers... but then you boast about CLE sprawling 50 miles east to west and 20 miles south? CLE spawl, as proved above is not denser than CBUS. Though many are adapting, density and suburb are two concepts that are not often found together. So how can we be too sprawling yet CLE isn't then? If CBUS is sprawling suburban wasteland than so is CLE.

Oh then claiming that CBUS just cant grow that much? 1watertiger, CLE is on a lake (a great asset honestly) but if you cut CBUS in half at downtown and shift those suburbs to the east, west, and south... there you go. East, west, and north CBUS each span about 15-20 miles from downtown. Now you basically have that 50 mile long metro you are boasting about.

Yes CLEs CSA and MSA are larger... nobody is fighting that, but CBUS is growing significantly more than CLE still, so those gaps CSA and MSA are growing smaller and will for the foreseeable future.

I don't question CLE remaining a power by 2050 but I think CBUS will emerge the dominate power with CIN in third place still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,841,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb919 View Post

What drives me insane on these boards is that a majority of CLE and CIN promoters incessantly b*tch about CBUS annexation. All thats ever posted is about annexation being the reason for CBUS sprawl and inflated population numbers... but then you boast about CLE sprawling 50 miles east to west and 20 miles south? CLE spawl, as proved above is not denser than CBUS. Though many are adapting, density and suburb are two concepts that are not often found together. So how can we be too sprawling yet CLE isn't then? If CBUS is sprawling suburban wasteland than so is CLE.

Oh then claiming that CBUS just cant grow that much? 1watertiger, CLE is on a lake (a great asset honestly) but if you cut CBUS in half at downtown and shift those suburbs to the east, west, and south... there you go. East, west, and north CBUS each span about 15-20 miles from downtown. Now you basically have that 50 mile long metro you are boasting about.

Yes CLEs CSA and MSA are larger... nobody is fighting that, but CBUS is growing significantly more than CLE still, so those gaps CSA and MSA are growing smaller and will for the foreseeable future.

I don't question CLE remaining a power by 2050 but I think CBUS will emerge the dominate power with CIN in third place still.
Really? Still? You think Columbus is ahead of Cincinnati? Besides education. Cincinnati is ahead of Columbus in just about every category.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 AM

152 posts, read 187,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Really? Still? You think Columbus is ahead of Cincinnati? Besides education. Cincinnati is ahead of Columbus in just about every category.
Flatness, Columbus wins that one too don't forget. Unfortunately, the flatness factor is what Columbus has going for it. It is much easier and way cheaper to develop on flat nothing than hilly terrain. I'm ok with Columbus being larger, I will argue that bigger is not better. I prefer quality over quantity so I will take Cincinnati's topography, history, architecture, arts, entertainment, sports , neighborhoods, and economy over Columbus' any day. I've not been to Cleveland, it's downtown looks great in pictures I would very much like to visit some day. My prediction is by 2050 the 3cs might switch places population wise but I still don't see any one dominating .

Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,083,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Flatness, Columbus wins that one too don't forget. Unfortunately, the flatness factor is what Columbus has going for it. It is much easier and way cheaper to develop on flat nothing than hilly terrain. I'm ok with Columbus being larger, I will argue that bigger is not better. I prefer quality over quantity so I will take Cincinnati's topography, history, architecture, arts, entertainment, sports , neighborhoods, and economy over Columbus' any day. I've not been to Cleveland, it's downtown looks great in pictures I would very much like to visit some day. My prediction is by 2050 the 3cs might switch places population wise but I still don't see any one dominating .
It took longer than I thought before the usual "Columbus is awful in every way compared to my city" posts came to this thread. You guys are slipping.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It took longer than I thought before the usual "Columbus is awful in every way compared to my city" posts came to this thread. You guys are slipping.
I reread my post and I didn't see where it was suggested Columbus is awful in anyway. Sensitive much?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:37 PM

11,071 posts, read 12,471,033 times
I actually like how flat Columbus is. It was not too physically taxing to get around on my bike anywhere I went, which was awesome. Where I live now, even though there are a lot more bike lanes and bikers in general, that doesn't really help when you live on top of a hill...

Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I actually like how flat Columbus is. It was not too physically taxing to get around on my bike anywhere I went, which was awesome. Where I live now, even though there are a lot more bike lanes and bikers in general, that doesn't really help when you live on top of a hill...
There's a place for everyone.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:46 PM

11,071 posts, read 12,471,033 times
Quote:
There's a place for everyone.
I don't live in Columbus. I just think the word "flat" gets thrown around too much as an insult for some reason. Seems to be flat=bad, boring; hills=omg awesome and amazingggggg! This is just silly to me.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,378,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb919 View Post

I apologize for not making my point clear. What I was trying to convey was, I think many clevelanders see NE Ohio as having 13 counties with almost half the entire
States population, connected by a extensive freeway grid, on top of good transportation system with light and heavy rail. It doesnt matter if u travel from Medina to mentor or Avon to twinsburg. Its all metro Cleveland. Not to mention Cleveland and akrons suburbs connect already along rt8 and I77. Then when we visit central Ohio it just seems small and disconnected from everything surrounded by (do I dare say it?), corn... And most of Columbus is newer and more suburban/bland... But maybe in 50yrs that will be interesting archectectur... And I agree with you regarding Cleveland being on great lake. Our fresh water great lake is Cleveland's and the state of Ohio's greatest asset. That's why Cleveland will still be the states dominant city in 50yrs.

Last edited by 1watertiger; 08-15-2014 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,083,951 times
Quote:
I reread my post and I didn't see where it was suggested Columbus is awful in anyway. Sensitive much?
Uh huh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio