Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: By mid-century which one do you think will be the most dominant city of Ohio?
Columbus 42 46.67%
Cincinnati 17 18.89%
Cleveland 31 34.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 AM

11,071 posts, read 12,471,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I expected nothing more from you guys. Good news on Columbus must be silenced or rejected as worthless immediately.
It's not anything to be proud of. Just a dumb statistic. Not all stats mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:01 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,182,097 times
^That. It's not "good news." It's just another skewed statistical measure. Why didn't they measure the amount of institutions per square mile? Columbus = 2.7, NYC = 8.8. How about the usage and attendance numbers as well?

It's also just another indicator of sprawl through annexation. Columbus, Miami, and Indy flat out do not belong on a list like this. The inclusion of places like Memphis, Jacksonville, Phoenix, Vegas, Charlotte, etc. in the top 20 of cultural anything is simply mind-boggling.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
^That. It's not "good news." It's just another skewed statistical measure. Why didn't they measure the amount of institutions per square mile? Columbus = 2.7, NYC = 8.8. How about the usage and attendance numbers as well?
Because those wouldn't look as good.

Quote:
It's also just another indicator of sprawl through annexation. Columbus, Miami, and Indy flat out do not belong on a list like this. The inclusion of places like Memphis, Jacksonville, Phoenix, Vegas, Charlotte, etc. in the top 20 of cultural anything is simply mind-boggling.
But this point is invalid. Because.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,083,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I guess I'm confused why it mentioned recreational activities if recreational centers aren't counted....

SO if I open 500 galleries and put them all in the same neighborhood, that counts as being accessible to the neighborhood in my city that's 7 miles away. It's the same illogic that is applied to crime rates. One bad neighborhood with lots of crime doesn't make the whole city unsafe. A couple neighborhoods with "cultural institutions" does not make the whole city accessible to them.

This isn't that hard to understand. I stand by my "meaningless" assessment. I never made the argument for quality even. That is all you putting words in my mouth.
You're confusing access with location. They're not the same. Access also just means availability. One may have to travel a few miles, but the institutions still exist and are still accessible to the larger population beyond that single neighborhood.

My comment on quality was just to bring it up before someone else inevitably did. Your attempt to equate Columbus' institutions as a bunch of rec centers probably qualifies.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It's not anything to be proud of. Just a dumb statistic. Not all stats mean anything.
And yet if Cleveland or Cincinnati were near or at the top, someone would be posting it and there would be a gaggle of people congratulating each other. It only doesn't mean anything to the people who don't want it to mean anything. I admit, in the grand scheme of things, it's certainly not the end-all of anything, but it is a positive little thing and god forbid there be anything positive.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post

Because that wasn't the measurement they were doing and they're not obligated to give you the answers you want?

How does sprawl have anything to do with this? It's population divided by # of institutions. The sizes of these places has no bearing at all. NYC is much larger in square miles than Columbus. Sometimes I just think you bring up sprawl because you have no other argument to fall back on.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Because those wouldn't look as good.

But this point is invalid. Because.
Look as good for who? Or what? You do realize I had nothing to do with it and just reposted right?

Because a per-capita measurement has nothing to do with area size. But you know that as you seem like a reasonably intelligent guy. So maybe drop the act.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Look as good for who? Or what? You do realize I had nothing to do with it and just reposted right?

Because a per-capita measurement has nothing to do with area size. But you know that as you seem like a reasonably intelligent guy. So maybe drop the act.
I didn't say you did. I am just always disappointed that you point stats that don't mean anything. It seems that any criticism or investigation, even the mildest forms, are just completely invalid to you. I would be more than willing to jump on some posted about other cities too, but they are routinely posted about Columbus.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I didn't say you did. I am just always disappointed that you point stats that don't mean anything. It seems that any criticism or investigation, even the mildest forms, are just completely invalid to you. I would be more than willing to jump on some posted about other cities too, but they are routinely posted about Columbus.
No, I think people just assume that when I post stats, which I rarely do here anymore because people go completely bonkers, assume that I'm saying they mean more than they do. When I posted that link, did I say that it meant that Columbus was more cultured than most places? Nope. Did I say it was more cultured than Cleveland or Cincy or NYC? Nope. Did I preface that the link had nothing to do with quality or total? Yes. The only point was to show that Columbus had a fairly decent ratio of institutions to population. That's literally the only thing measured. But even that tiny scrap is enough to send in the denial brigade. Because as is always the point, no one in Ohio can ever be happy for another Ohio city that they don't live in. Ever. No matter what the news is, no matter how insignificant. Hell, even when I was happy when Cleveland won the RNC and repeatedly said so, I was accused of being angry and jealous. You just can't win. Honestly, the more I post here, the more it seems that there is just something wrong with everyone. I have never found Ohioans to generally be unhappy or miserable people, but on here... I just don't know anymore.

So if I do a search, how many such studies and rankings will I find posted for Cleveland/Cincinnati? And how many times will I find you calling them worthless?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:

So if I do a search, how many such studies and rankings will I find posted for Cleveland/Cincinnati? And how many times will I find you calling them worthless?
I'd love to know, actually. There arent many such posts at all to which I possibly could have responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio