Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: By mid-century which one do you think will be the most dominant city of Ohio?
Columbus 42 46.67%
Cincinnati 17 18.89%
Cleveland 31 34.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM

11,055 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No, I think people just assume that when I post stats, which I rarely do here anymore because people go completely bonkers, assume that I'm saying they mean more than they do. When I posted that link, did I say that it meant that Columbus was more cultured than most places? Nope. Did I say it was more cultured than Cleveland or Cincy or NYC? Nope. Did I preface that the link had nothing to do with quality or total? Yes. The only point was to show that Columbus had a fairly decent ratio of institutions to population. That's literally the only thing measured. But even that tiny scrap is enough to send in the denial brigade. Because as is always the point, no one in Ohio can ever be happy for another Ohio city that they don't live in. Ever. No matter what the news is, no matter how insignificant. Hell, even when I was happy when Cleveland won the RNC and repeatedly said so, I was accused of being angry and jealous. You just can't win. Honestly, the more I post here, the more it seems that there is just something wrong with everyone. I have never found Ohioans to generally be unhappy or miserable people, but on here... I just don't know anymore.
You seem to frequently confuse me with other posters, or just lump everyone together. I said nothing about the RNC. I couldn't care less about the conventions. Period. What's this have to do with this conversation, aside from resorting to a woe is me narrative? I didn't say anything about the study that you're assuming. The world is not out to get you. I'm also not really an Ohioan anymore, by residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 01:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You seem to frequently confuse me with other posters, or just lump everyone together. I said nothing about the RNC. I couldn't care less about the conventions. Period. What's this have to do with this conversation, aside from resorting to a woe is me narrative? I didn't say anything about the study that you're assuming. The world is not out to get you. I'm also not really an Ohioan anymore, by residency.
Everyone here is pretty much the same, for the most part. This forum is truly unique in that way. No other Ohio forums I frequent are like this (or any other, for that matter). The combative posts, the lack of support on anything positive, the general intellectual dishonesty... Yeah, it's pretty much mostly just here. Your post here is an example of just how backwards things are. You have taken an example used to make a point (the RNC and my congratulating Cleveland) and then make that example a claim that was never made (that you brought it up or cared about them). It's the ultimate creation of strawmen to tear down and it happens constantly here. I used to think that maybe it was me, but it's really not. I'm not a victim because I have chosen repeatedly to post here. This current discussion was started by me even though I knew that the link would be met with the same old tired insanity, and yet I went ahead and posted it anyway. So shame on me, I guess.

So time for a break. Someone else can update the development thread if they want or debate fruitlessly with you people over things that aren't actually said. I'd rather develop my websites with all the "useless" information and stats. As it turns out, there is quite a lucrative market for it, and is there anything better than doing something you love and making craptons of money from it? The answer is no, there isn't.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Lets end this. Columbus does not have a navigable port to help bring supplies in by water. Cleveland and Cincinnati does. That will be very important as fossil fuel runs out by that time.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Because that wasn't the measurement they were doing and they're not obligated to give you the answers you want?
I don't "want" any specific answer from it. I'm simply pointing out that it is an absurd metric, especially when gauging access to cultural institutions.

Quote:
How does sprawl have anything to do with this? It's population divided by # of institutions. The sizes of these places has no bearing at all. NYC is much larger in square miles than Columbus. Sometimes I just think you bring up sprawl because you have no other argument to fall back on.
Well, just look at the metric that I proposed. I changed the entire dynamic of what they were saying simply by using a different divisor which, unfortunately for your argument, completely underscores how sprawl affects the entire picture. NYC is approximately 90 sq. mi. larger, yet it has 3+ times the cultural facilities per square mile.

It's not an argument to "fall back on." It's an argument that underscores how spread out everything is in Columbus. You may not like it, but the facts are what they are.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Everyone here is pretty much the same, for the most part. This forum is truly unique in that way. No other Ohio forums I frequent are like this (or any other, for that matter). The combative posts, the lack of support on anything positive, the general intellectual dishonesty... Yeah, it's pretty much mostly just here. Your post here is an example of just how backwards things are. You have taken an example used to make a point (the RNC and my congratulating Cleveland) and then make that example a claim that was never made (that you brought it up or cared about them). It's the ultimate creation of strawmen to tear down and it happens constantly here. I used to think that maybe it was me, but it's really not. I'm not a victim because I have chosen repeatedly to post here. This current discussion was started by me even though I knew that the link would be met with the same old tired insanity, and yet I went ahead and posted it anyway. So shame on me, I guess.
Tbh, you just seem to have a real problem with people who don't agree with you. Instead of playing the melancholy card, how about explaining why the article makes a truckload of sense rather than saying any refuting of what the article says is just a lack of support for the positive? I mean, really, ranking Columbus ahead of NYC, SF, Chicago, etc. when it has to do with anything cultural is just silly. I'd think/hope you would know better. Cleveland has many cultural highlights, but I'd never put Cleveland in their collective ranks because I know that it's disingenuous to do so.

Quote:
So time for a break. Someone else can update the development thread if they want or debate fruitlessly with you people over things that aren't actually said. I'd rather develop my websites with all the "useless" information and stats. As it turns out, there is quite a lucrative market for it, and is there anything better than doing something you love and making craptons of money from it? The answer is no, there isn't.
You are correct, there is a HUGE market for misleading information. We call them the lowest common denominator. Happy crapton-ing.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
No response needed, other than to thank you for injecting a sense of mirth into an otherwise moribund thread.
Quote:
I expected nothing more from you guys. Good news on Columbus must be silenced or rejected as worthless immediately.
Good grief! The only time in my life that I ever actually thanked you for your stats, I'm berated for it? See if I ever compliment you again!

Old 08-28-2014, 03:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Lets end this. Columbus does not have a navigable port to help bring supplies in by water. Cleveland and Cincinnati does. That will be very important as fossil fuel runs out by that time.
I agree. Lake Erie is Cleveland's and Ohio's greatest resource/asset. Our great lake will continue to help keep Cleveland as the dominant city in Ohio.. BTW I hear the first ever direct container shipping to Europe on the great lakes is off to a good start!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Quote:

...So time for a break. Someone else can update the development thread if they want or debate fruitlessly with you people over things that aren't actually said. I'd rather develop my websites with all the "useless" information and stats. As it turns out, there is quite a lucrative market for it, and is there anything better than doing something you love and making craptons of money from it? The answer is no, there isn't.
Seems like a good decision on your part, considering all the unbearable things you've experienced on C-D when mentioning the name "Cbus." A reprieve from relentlessly having to do that with so little to show for it will probably be a relief for you--and something that others of us can be thankful for too.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 PM

11,055 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:

In response to me, you talk about other people's opinions about things I never talked about. Look up the definition of a straw man. I'm not even making up an argument. You just don't actually pay attention to what anyone is actually saying. My example was that you brought up the RNC. What the hell does the RNC have to do with me disagreeing with the usefullness of that statistic? You are a professional martyr sometimes. I said your stat was kind of irrelevant for practical purposes and explained why. According to you, this is because I hate positive things about Columbus. I don't remember ever saying that. I actually even went out of my way in my posts to mention Indy and NYC so that I would not provoke your unequaled defensiveness, but I guess I knew it was coming anyway. You don't seem to think that anyone who doesn't see the world like you do has a valid opinion. Then you defend a stat which you ALWAYS say is just a number (ohhhh why, oh why, do people get so angry at me for posting numbers??!?!?!?) and then go to quite an extent to defend it like it were something more than just a number.... interesting.

And yes, people love misleading statistics. You are just in the rookie leagues of misleading stats though. Set your sights high, you're wasting your time on City Data. I'm sure some political party would love to spin some numbers.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 08-28-2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 AM

368 posts, read 638,772 times
It doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at stats and trends to see that columbus will be the most important city in ohio in say 2030..doesnt mean cleveland wont have the best orchestra..which it will have..or cincinnati the best natural landscape..which it will always have.Just means ohio will have 3 amazing cities each with unique assets.We need to promote ohio in general ..i love ohio..have lived in every corner..I root for all cities in ohio..i want toledo to be prosperous..I actually visit dayton frequently..it has alot to offer if you are open minded.I propose a league of cities..just like wilson did before world war 2.And we should all pledge to support ohio.We are blessed to live in ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio