Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: By mid-century which one do you think will be the most dominant city of Ohio?
Columbus 42 46.67%
Cincinnati 17 18.89%
Cleveland 31 34.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times

Advertisements

All you have to do is look at the status quo and the average growth percentage to know that what you say isn't likely. The Columbus area simply will not gain 1.2 million people in 15 years. At its current rate, it would take 60 years to do that. And I think everyone knows that growth is not a constant and lot can happen in 60 years. You simply cannot assume that any such trend is perpetual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 07:17 PM

368 posts, read 638,772 times
I dont think anyone projects the columbus csa to top 3.5 million in 15 years.But the growth has been pretty predictable since the 1940 census,never being a boom and bust economy ..very steady almost boring economy like a swiss watch..but thats what makes the region so stable.As metro areas grow the rate becomes smaller due to the increase in size..But total number of people added increases due to that fact that the critical mass of population is larger and natural increase will be larger,and the number of workers needed to service the larger population will bring in migration.The columbus msa is adding close to 250,000 per ten years and that number will be larger each census due to natural increase .By 2050 if you take in the whole csa...thats 4 more census counts..the columbus csa will almost certainly be over 3.5 million.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Cleveland and the metro have stopped the "bleeding" regarding population losses. With the current population explosion downtown and surrounding inner city neighborhoods.. Its really hard for me to believe cleveland wouldnt reverse to positive growth again by 2050

Old 09-29-2018, 10:28 PM

20 posts, read 24,221 times
Columbus may continue on as the biggest city, but a million, but Cleveland 1st, and Cincinnati 2ndly, are the two most famous Ohio cities, and they beat Columbus. Columbus however, is not a bad city. It is actually quite nice

Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 PM

20 posts, read 24,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I didn't say the CIN economy is poor. Perhaps CLE has 3 pro teams because the CLE-AKR-CAN metro area is 3.5 million people and NEO is about 4.5 million. That would do it.
Cincinnati/Dayton/Columbus

Old 09-30-2018, 04:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
It's unsettling to see this thread revived after such a long hiatus, considering in 2014 how it imploded with such a mix of bad feelings, sense of impasse and exhaustion. By coincidence, today this same topic is being discussed on a similar City vs. City thread entitled: "States poised to be undergoing a paradigm shift within the next 3-4 decades: new top city." Although that thread also asked for input concerning four other states, Ohio has dominated the conversation. As for myself, I'm doubtful that this thread can benefit from such a bump unless we agree to venture with our own predictions no further ahead than the next five years or so (say, to 2025). At this time there are too many variables at play making accurate predictions impossible, unless you're a futurist like Ray Kurzweil.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
At this time there are too many variables at play making accurate predictions impossible, unless you're a futurist like Ray Kurzweil.
Apart from man-made climate change, my perception is that many intellectuals, especially those with a technology background, most worry about the impact on human society of artificial intelligence and the "singularity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

We haven't even begun to discuss or deal with this issue, but developments in China worry me immensely. The Chinese social credit system employing massive big data crunching, pervasive cameras with robust facial recognition capacity, and significant rewards/punishments for all citizens, is frightening. More frightening is that they will likely export this technology to other nations seeking to control their citizens.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ns-sovereignty

And, as described in the above article, the technology may be employed to influence even Ohioans through corporations, media companies, etc.

How much of this technology will be developed and employed in the U.S.? Obviously in Ohio we're offended by traffic cameras, but we don't elect politicians who emphasize privacy of our personal data, or how this data is being collected and used to impact our personal lives -- credit scores can impact employment opportunities and even insurance premiums.

How many of our politicians and media leaders, let alone average Ohioans, have even heard of, let alone are concerned by the collection and use of "unstructured data" about our lives. Reportedly, television providers and cable companies are allowed to collect our entire viewing experience and sell the results. Shouldn't this at least be banned or highly regulated? Yet what Ohio politician has raised this issue???

https://www.investopedia.com/article...-insurance.asp

If anybody has seen a media report in Ohio about the collection and use of personal data, please post it. I've seen none, apart from issues regarding GPS tracking of mobile phone users.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:36 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
I would think that anyone concerned about cable companies collecting data would now be using a modded fire stick via VPN and use a VPN also on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio