Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 13,070 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving from Madison, WI to either Columbus or Cincinnati. She'll be matching into a pediatric fellowship program, and we are fortunate that she can pick either city and get in. Her fellowship would last 3 years. I currently work in higher education administration, so OSU and UC are both attractive institutions for job prospects. I'd also be open to other public sector jobs. From what I can tell, the cost of living in both cities is reasonably similar.

We don't have kids right now, but plan on starting a family within the next couple of years. We are looking to rent an apartment (2 bedrooms) or house/condo in either location. We wouldn't pay more than $1500 (high-end) and would ideally like to pay no more than $1200. We'd be open to any commute 45 minutes or less (we are use to much longer commutes). The ability to do activities outdoors (hiking, camping, biking, fishing, hunting) is a big draw for us, but so is nightlife and cultural activities (restaurants, bars, sports, plays, concerts, festivals, etc). We love Madison because it gave us easy access to both.

Our biggest concerns are:

-Ability for me to get a good job in the public sector (higher education, state government, city government)

-Good neighborhoods (affordability, safety, commute times, etc)

-Entertainment options (outdoors, nightlife, cultural)

-Cost to fly back to Milwaukee/Madison to visit family

Given these factors, any thoughts on which city and/or neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM

465 posts, read 658,547 times
You're going to hear a lot of partisans from either city, and both I think are great choices for your situation. My partner works at a college near Columbus, and we've started a company in Cincinnati as well as owning our house/rental property here, so I hope I can help given it's a somewhat similar situation.

First, public sector work is easier to find in Columbus, but there's enough in Cincinnati that if you're qualified it shouldn't be a problem in either city.

Cincinnati is going to be slightly more affordable than Columbus currently, but both have nicer neighborhoods within your price range that will be relatively close to work. A couple of Cincinnati's less safe neighborhoods are close to UC and one's pretty close to downtown where most of the public sector work is, but the situation is rapidly improving. My partner and I have our house relatively close to both downtown and UC, and haven't had any safety issues in the six plus years we've lived here. The neighborhoods around OSU don't have quite the same blight as a couple of the neighborhoods around UC, and you and your wife are probably going to be less on guard in Columbus.

Cultural activities will be where I'm going to say that Cincinnati leads, and I'm expecting you'll hear otherwise from those in Columbus, but Cincinnati has the better theater district in OTR with several companies doing really interesting work (particularly KNOW and Ensemble Theater) better musical offerings (both popular -see Bunbury or MidPoint Music Fest as examples) and classical (the symphony and opera are a couple tiers ahead of Columbus, the ballets are about equal). Columbus has more art galleries, but it's close, and Cincinnati has the more prominent museums of the two.

A few years ago, Columbus had the better bars, but that's been equalized of late, and the same goes with restaurants. On either of those I'd really say it's a coin flip right now as to which city is best. In fact, there's a lot of interbreeding going on with restaurants of either city opening branches in the other.

Others will be better equipped to answer the outdoors part, I'm guessing it will be relatively equal. I like biking in and around both cities, but haven't had much opportunity to go camping.

The cost to fly back will definitely be cheaper out of Columbus, we either fly from there or Dayton usually, but Cincinnati's airport is getting a bit better at this.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
This will simply morph into an argument as to whose city is more awesome, but the truth is that they both have positives and negatives to consider. Your best option is to come up with a list of things that you want. Do your research into both, but more importantly, plan to visit if you can. It's one thing to hear people prop up where they live, as assuredly most of the answers here will do. It's another to see a place live and experience it for yourself. No matter how much I may like a place or someone else may like a different place, you'll be the one that has to deal with the consequences if you don't like it. Everyone has biases, but the only ones that will matter in this case are your own. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccloew View Post

-Ability for me to get a good job in the public sector (higher education, state government, city government)

Given these factors, any thoughts on which city and/or neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.
Overall, from a very objective point of view as a Daytonian, Columbus should be the place where you look, not Cincinnati.

Why?

1. Many more opportunities in the public sector - this is inherent from the presence of the State Capitol, the numerous agencies it has which are present in Columbus, and OSU.

2. I might get some pushback for saying this, but Columbus is a safer city overall. And while its architecture might not measure up to Cincy, places like German Village and the Short North are lightyears ahead of OTR for being revitalized and stable.

3. Columbus wins on entertainment/nightlife IMO too. OSU and its very large, diverse student population ensures the nightlife and entertainment options are excellent. Short North and Arena District will probably become your go-to's for culture and nightlife, respectively, although the Short North has a good nightlife scene too. And where better to take in the outdoors than Hocking Hills, only an hour away?

4. Airport - I don't know. Columbus has a smaller airport, I think, but Cincinnati is also no longer a Delta hub. Midwest Air used to run a flight from Dayton to Milwaukee, so maybe just make an hour drive from either city and fly from there?

As for neighborhoods, I'd look in this order given your interests
1. German Village - couple good bars, easy walk to downtown and to the bike trails along the river which lead to nice parks. Here's one place which meets your criteria:
778 1/2 City Park Ave, Columbus, OH 43206 is For Rent - Zillow

2. Short North - more good bars, great access to OSU and downtown. Depending on where you live you can get within decent walking distance of both if you're working on the northern side of downtown. Downside is no easy access to parks. Here's a place there (dated but big, lots of other options):
78-80 E 4TH Ave, Columbus, OH 43201 is For Rent - Zillow

3. Grandview Heights - decent number of young people there, but not as many as the other two. Good access to OSU and downtown, but you'll have to drive or bike. Also will be a little bit harder to get to nightlife. Upside is excellent schools, autonomy from Columbus (if you want it - tax reasons might lead you to not), and a more old-money suburban feel. Great access to the bike trail though, and to parks along the Scioto too. Here's a place there:
1467 Elmwood Ave, Columbus, OH 43212 is For Rent - Zillow

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,714 times
Cincinnati is supposedly the most expensive airport to fly to/from in the US, so it should cost less to fly from Columbus.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:20 PM

416 posts, read 700,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Overall, from a very objective point of view as a Daytonian, Columbus should be the place where you look, not Cincinnati.

Why?

1. Many more opportunities in the public sector - this is inherent from the presence of the State Capitol, the numerous agencies it has which are present in Columbus, and OSU.

2. I might get some pushback for saying this, but Columbus is a safer city overall. And while its architecture might not measure up to Cincy, places like German Village and the Short North are lightyears ahead of OTR for being revitalized and stable.

3. Columbus wins on entertainment/nightlife IMO too. OSU and its very large, diverse student population ensures the nightlife and entertainment options are excellent. Short North and Arena District will probably become your go-to's for culture and nightlife, respectively, although the Short North has a good nightlife scene too. And where better to take in the outdoors than Hocking Hills, only an hour away?

4. Airport - I don't know. Columbus has a smaller airport, I think, but Cincinnati is also no longer a Delta hub. Midwest Air used to run a flight from Dayton to Milwaukee, so maybe just make an hour drive from either city and fly from there?

As for neighborhoods, I'd look in this order given your interests
1. German Village - couple good bars, easy walk to downtown and to the bike trails along the river which lead to nice parks. Here's one place which meets your criteria:
778 1/2 City Park Ave, Columbus, OH 43206 is For Rent - Zillow

2. Short North - more good bars, great access to OSU and downtown. Depending on where you live you can get within decent walking distance of both if you're working on the northern side of downtown. Downside is no easy access to parks. Here's a place there (dated but big, lots of other options):
78-80 E 4TH Ave, Columbus, OH 43201 is For Rent - Zillow

3. Grandview Heights - decent number of young people there, but not as many as the other two. Good access to OSU and downtown, but you'll have to drive or bike. Also will be a little bit harder to get to nightlife. Upside is excellent schools, autonomy from Columbus (if you want it - tax reasons might lead you to not), and a more old-money suburban feel. Great access to the bike trail though, and to parks along the Scioto too. Here's a place there:
1467 Elmwood Ave, Columbus, OH 43212 is For Rent - Zillow

Good luck!
The Short North is one of the most active urban neighborhoods in the Midwest. But OTR is certainly one of the most unique neighborhoods in the country, and one can have just as good of a time and find just as many interesting options in both neighborhoods. Light years ahead? No.

As someone from neither, OP, both are great cities. Welcome to the Ohio forum, we have a few large cities in this state so egos and personal preferences get in the way sometimes. Cincinnati and Columbus are two very different cities. Both have amazing and active neighborhoods with a variety of places to chose and live in from each. Both have great park systems, are not far from larger state parks, and have an array of cultural options to chose from. If you are looking for something similar to Madison, you will find more of that in Columbus (think a bigger, more diverse Madison). Both UC and OSU are great universities with national and internationally recognized programs. I am deciding between the two for grad school in urban and regional planning. I could see myself living in both, as they are big enough and diverse enough to offer the options I want out of a larger metro area.

For flight options: Dayton International Airport and Port Columbus will suit your needs just fine. Cincinnati's airport is in Kentucky and that state has been incompetent on getting anything done for Cincinnati/NKY. Just read about the airport and bridge and you will know how Frankfurt just doesn't understand Cincinnati issues.

As I stated before, both have great neighborhoods and can easily get you to UC or OSU under your 45 min commute time frame.

Neighborhoods to check out in each within your budget:

Cincinnati- Downtown, OTR (Over-The-Rhine), Pendleton, Mount Adams, Hyde Park, Mount Lookout, Columbia-Tusculum, Clifton, CUF

Columbus- Downtown (Arena District, Gay Street area, Riversouth is really booming), Short North, Italian Village, Victorian Village, German Village, the Brewery District, Clintonville

Both cities have really good inner-ring suburbs as well with lots of character and walkable downtowns.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times
^Some pushback! haha

Anyways, I was absolute with my statements, so I figured someone would call me out. MahValley, the reason I said German Village & Short North were "light years ahead" of OTR is because they have been solidly gentrified for at least the past 10 years, where OTR has really only been solidly gentrified for the past 5. Wasn't trying to get at anything else there haha.

Otherwise OP, I still think Columbus is by far your best bet.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccloew View Post
My wife and I will be moving from Madison, WI to either Columbus or Cincinnati. She'll be matching into a pediatric fellowship program, and we are fortunate that she can pick either city and get in. Her fellowship would last 3 years. I currently work in higher education administration, so OSU and UC are both attractive institutions for job prospects. I'd also be open to other public sector jobs. From what I can tell, the cost of living in both cities is reasonably similar.

We don't have kids right now, but plan on starting a family within the next couple of years. We are looking to rent an apartment (2 bedrooms) or house/condo in either location. We wouldn't pay more than $1500 (high-end) and would ideally like to pay no more than $1200. We'd be open to any commute 45 minutes or less (we are use to much longer commutes). The ability to do activities outdoors (hiking, camping, biking, fishing, hunting) is a big draw for us, but so is nightlife and cultural activities (restaurants, bars, sports, plays, concerts, festivals, etc). We love Madison because it gave us easy access to both.

1) Columbus will be better for public sector...but if you're looking for University work, they are pretty equal w/ good universities and colleges (Miami University is only 45 min from Cincy so I'm including that there)

2) Cincy neighborhoods are more beautiful architecturally and provide nicer views in some of them but Columbus ones are probably a bit safer. Commute times are negligible for either city.

3) I think Cincy is now ahead of Columbus in nightlife and culture plus in sports w/ 2 pro teams in the 2 most popular leagues. I think museum quality is pretty equal. Cincy has some better cultural amenities in live theater as well as the live music scene...but Columbus has more festivals (Cincy focuses on 2 big ones, Taste of Cincy and Oktoberfest Zinzinnati)...in terms of outdoors, both cities have great parkis, but because of all the hills, and the Ohio River and the creeks that form different valleys, Cincy is a little better for outdoors stuff...but Columbus is only an hr from Hocking Hills, by far Ohio's best state park for hiking and camping..so both cities are pretty good for outdoor activities. A bonus is both cities climates will be more mild in winter than what you get in Madison.

4) Cost to fly to Milwaukee/Madison will be much less out of Columbus...and like has been said, Dayton actually has pretty good flight costs too and is only an hr from either city. CVG though is still very expensive to fly out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio