Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,835 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Pittsburgh native here. I'm 28, white, single and work as a technician in the steel industry. I was offered a transfer and a leadership position and I have the choice of 3 places: Youngstown, Hammond Indiana or Pueblo Colorado.

I have never been to Youngstown and honestly I have only heard bad things (a lot of comparison to Detroit and stuff). I Am considering then other places but Youngstown is appealing because it is so close to home that I would have to make minimal life changes and would still be able to regularly see friends and family. However I don't want to live in a hell hole or have to commute from the suburbs to feel comfortable.

I don't need a ton of nightlife or anything, but I would like to live in a safe urban neighborhood with young people and things to do. Does Youngstown have anything to offer a young guy like me who doesn't like suburban life or a "ghetto" atmosphere?

since Youngstown is so often overlooke, it seems to me that if there are any cool young people neighborhoods they would be relatively untouched by the urban pioneer/gentrifier set. Which is cool because I liked my city much more when it was still a genuine, blue collar town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 AM

912 posts, read 1,741,189 times
Is the job in downtown Youngstown?

I'm 25 and grew up in Youngstown. Almost everyone I know, myself included, has moved away from the area. The few people I know who are still there all live downtown. There are a few newly renovated apartment buildings downtown that attract younger residents. Downtown is actually very safe, and it has a decent bar scene, plus a few new restaurants. Youngstown State is just north of downtown, and while most students commute to campus from the suburbs, a good amount live around the area and frequent downtown.

All that being said, I'd choose Hammond if I were you. You have all the grit/blue collar feel of Youngstown, but you're a quick drive or train ride to Chicago.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 AM

5,520 posts, read 9,543,768 times
I also think downtown Youngstown might be the best fit for you. Being downtown, it's the most urban neighborhood in the city, with the highest concentration of restaurants/bars.

Here are some apartment websites:
Realty Tower | NYO Property Group
Affordable Apartments Located by Youngstown State University and Downtown (I've heard that this building is targeted more toward college students, and can have some of the drawbacks of living in a dorm)
The Wick Tower | NYO Property Group (according to their site, this building is scheduled to open this month)
The Federal Building | Apartment Rental

Another option might be the neighborhood just north of YSU, the Wick Park Neighborhood. I live here, so I'm probably biased. It's less vibrant, rougher around the edges, less urban, and you might be at slightly greater risk of being a victim of petty crime (i.e. getting your car broken into) than downtown. But I've heard some people complain that downtown is too corporate, and dominated by bros. (I work downtown, and don't get this impression, but I don't go out there, a lot.) Here is a photo tour I did last summer of this neighborhood: https://www.city-data.com/forum/35999567-post82.html

Old 01-03-2015, 09:35 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,210,415 times
You could practically stay in or near Pittsburgh. Depending on which are of the metro you're coming from, Youngstown to Pittsburgh is less than a 1 hour drive. Hammond/Gary, Indiana is worse than Youngstown, IMO. Much of the direct South Side of Chicago is dodgy, at best. The cost of living is also much higher. If you want to swing in Chicago, make sure the relocation and wage premium for the Chicagoland area is around 50% more than what you would make in Youngstown. Otherwise, it probably isn't worth it (I speak from experience on this).

Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,915,001 times
Pittsburgh would be a terrible commute in the winter and the COL is almost twice that of Youngstown. You might be surprised by what Ohio offers. I was.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:43 AM

8,313 posts, read 8,749,138 times
I am far from a Youngstown booster but I would take Y-Town over Hammond any day.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:57 AM

32,636 posts, read 77,875,137 times
We live right next to Downtown Pittsburgh and frequently day-trip in Greater Youngstown. Prior to moving to Pittsburgh from Northern Virginia I had always heard that Youngstown was some "huge ghetto". Nevertheless I love day-tripping to explore new things and decided one day to give Youngstown a shot since it was only an hour northwest of us. I'm so glad I did!

Youngstown packs a punch well above its size because it used to be a much larger city and metropolitan area in its heyday. We love the Butler Institute of Art (FREE!); the Fellows Riverside Gardens (FREE!); Mill Creek MetroParks (FREE!); the Jamba Juice on Youngstown State University's campus, which is also nicely-landscaped; White House Fruit Farms in nearby Canfield; etc. There's an industrial history museum in town, too, that I've always wanted to scope out and will do so soon. The main suburban commercial drag in Boardman is somewhat ugly (some shade trees would help), but otherwise we really liked the area.

I would pick Youngstown FIRST. Pueblo, CO is not only far from Pittsburgh, but it's also relatively isolated from Denver and the major Colorado ski areas. As has already been mentioned, Hammond, IN/Gary, IN is just as bad, if not worse, in terms of disinvestment and decay as Youngstown, AND it's near the bad parts of Chicago, too. At least with Youngstown you ARE only an hour away if you should decide you want to see family/friends more often to help you transition away from your hometown.

Pittsburgh is rapidly rising (hence my screenname), and Cleveland, while not revitalizing itself as rapidly, is also definitely heading in the right direction. Youngstown being nearly midway between both should only help it to continue to have some success in the coming years.

I'd agree with others who recommended Downtown Youngstown to you. It's not like you'd be "far" from anything, anyways, no matter where you settled there. When we first drove into town on I-680 we couldn't believe how few other people were on the road.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:03 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,972,996 times
Will you be working for LB Foster? I work at a local mill in the office and we do business with them. I would pick the Youngstown area as well. What part of town will you be working in? I'm 36 and live in Cortland, but I'm from here so I know a lot of people my age. You would probably best be in downtown Ytown, Boardman or Austintown, it seems that's where all the young people live as far as young and single. Young with families live in Canfield, Poland, Howland Cortland, etc. I think you'll find that this area is smaller yet comparable to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio