Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,746 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Houston to Findlay. My work location is in Findlay but based on what I heard, its very small town and not many options for family outing. I thought of moving to Perrysburg/Toledo and commute everyday to Findlay from there, but looks like the road to Findlay is always under construction and accident prone. Is that true?

What would be the nearby happening place to live near Findlay? Also, my kid goes to elementary school - so the place should also have good rated elementary schools.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times
Considering the two locations, I suspect your employer's Marathon. That's just playing the numbers though.

Anyway, yes, Findlay's a very small town (roughly 40,000 residents). I'm not entirely sure what qualifies as a "family outing" option for you, but you got it boss.

The entire state of Ohio is under construction. It has been that way since before I was alive. There are plenty of other Northern states that are in the same boat. Is it accident prone? I guess. People aren't always as responsible as they should be on I-75, and that's just being realistic. I drive the strip frequently and have seen some very stupid drivers. I've also driven in Texas, and have seen some very stupid drivers. They're the toilet paper stuck to my shoe: they follow me everywhere.

I guess the next big question is "define what 'happening' means to you." With the way your post is framed, I'm fairly skeptical there is anything to satisfy. I'm not going to go all cheerleader on you, but welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Thanks Art1979!

I actually wanted to know how safe is the travel from Perrysburg/Toledo to Findlay - considering everyday up-down to Findlay (especially in winter-snow). On google map it says the driving time of 40 mins - but if the road is cluttery and too much traffic - then spending everyday in traffic is hell. Then, I would probably choose to live in Findlay itself. Rt?

Secondly, my perception is - people usually prefer living in well-maintained and not-too-much-crowded area rather than woods. So, where does majority of family folks prefer to stay in Findlay or anywhere else near Findlay (and commute everyday to Marathon)?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:07 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
Ohio is generally very good with road clearance, and that it shouldn't be too hard of a commute except on unusually snowy days. 40,000 is not nothing, and so it's not like Findlay is really small. The Findlay school district is relatively decent in both academic and athletic extracurriculars, but I think that there are a number of people who commute from Bluffton (which apparently has a better school district) or the Toledo suburbs if they need more amenities.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou2fdly View Post
I actually wanted to know how safe is the travel from Perrysburg/Toledo to Findlay - considering everyday up-down to Findlay (especially in winter-snow). On google map it says the driving time of 40 mins - but if the road is cluttery and too much traffic - then spending everyday in traffic is hell. Then, I would probably choose to live in Findlay itself. Rt?
Yeah, it's 40 minutes or so. I have a professional contact who drives in from Maumee everyday. He complains that he can never be to our meetings on time because of it, but that's what he does.

I've driven U.S. Route 1 around NJ/PA and I-77 NC/SC several times and tried my hand at I-285 Atlanta. This portion of I-75 is mild driving by far. The biggest headache is the wall of rigs riding to Michigan or Kentucky. I believe all the construction fuss from North Baltimore to Toledo is a third lane addition, but don't quote me on that. It's just hearsay, and I haven't looked into it. You kind of get numb to it all after a while.

In inclement weather, the interstate's usually populated with salt trucks moving snow first. I can only think of two times in my life where driving down that road was a bad idea. One of those times, I was on it. That was a laugh.

You will have some aggressive drivers, like the night a guy decided an on ramp was perfect for passing me. I drive the speed limit; most people don't. Some just want everyone out of their way. Tacit law of the road.

Side streets in Findlay are your real danger in winter. They get the least attention and halite.

Quote:
Secondly, my perception is - people usually prefer living in well-maintained and not-too-much-crowded area rather than woods. So, where does majority of family folks prefer to stay in Findlay or anywhere else near Findlay (and commute everyday to Marathon)?
The vast majority of corporate Findlay lives in or very close to town. That goes for Marathon, Cooper, Whirlpool, Blanchard Valley Hospital (close enough to corporate for me), or Tall Timbers types. Some live out by the Liberty-Benton school district southwest of town, but I've started to see a trend of transfers firmly wanting the Van Buren school district. I could not tell you why. The Catholics love the parochial school St. Michael the Archangel, which incidentally is the only Catholic church in town.

Some commuters come in from McComb, I've noticed, but that's even smaller than Findlay. This town's really out on its own plat, but feels like a suburb... a suburb unattached to a major city.

If you need some names for services (oil changes, that sort of thing) let me know in a PM. I might have one or two for you.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I think that there are a number of people who commute from Bluffton (which apparently has a better school district) or the Toledo suburbs if they need more amenities.
Honestly, I've not seen many commute in from Bluffton. That's not to say a few don't, but I'm doubtful I'd consider the town a bedroom community of sorts. The Bluffton Exempted Village School District seems nice, but I've not heard too much feedback on it.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:24 PM

thanks guys!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,160,534 times
Quote:
Thanks Art1979!

Thanks in advance!
Hey, I know I'm late to this thread but thought I'd offer my two cents.

Many families stay in Findlay. It's a very nice city, actually. Marathon does a lot for town, and it has become a major logistics and manufacturing hub as well. And as far as I know its schools are the best in the area.

Otherwise, if you did want to commute it's not a bad option. The roads are flat, there's not a whole lot of snow normally, and it's a straight shot to Toledo/Perrysburg. But keep in mind there's a lot of shopping and activities right in Findlay, so I would definitely not rule it out.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:15 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I have a friend that works for Marathon. He used to live in Perrysburg right by Levi's Commons. He never complained about the commute..............they live in Atlanta now.............

Old 02-27-2015, 12:02 AM

252 posts, read 349,199 times
The question I always ask people is what amenities do you really need? e.g. Living near the ocean sounds great if you live in Ohio, but my relatives who live in Tampa and LA rarely go to the beach! Most people's everyday lives revolve around everyday events - shopping, dining and movies and Findlay is big enough to have plenty of that. Lima is over in the next county - they have a Macy's, an Elder-Beerman (the Ohio name for Carson, Pirie, Scott) and most of the big box retailers. Toledo is close enough if you need any more than that.

I think WLIO is on cable in Findlay. Not that it matters, but "Greater Lima" is large enough to have its own TV market and ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox/CW stations.

I also think management wants employees who are on a career track to be a part of the Findlay community.

I would live in Findlay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio