Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 AM

645 posts, read 1,538,696 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For those who may not know, "ISO" stands for "In Search Of".

I have been looking for months, for a modest 1200sf or even smaller, single level stick built with garage and basement, 2BR+/1.5 bath, very private, lowish taxes, and not a complete rundown heap. I am absolutely perplexed and frustrated at how little I have even seen that fits that description, let alone worth anywhere what folks are asking... I mean houses with severe water damage, septic systems completely shot, structural issues, and they are still asking $80-$90k... Crazy. Missed one in Brookfield, that had 4 others in front of me.

What I mention seems to be the nearly defacto home for the area, yet it seems I am seeking something that does not exist. I have what seems an army of RE agents who are not delivering on what I am asking for, and seem generally worthless. Maybe with the big spring push coming, the situation will change. So, anywhere/anyone I might really focus my efforts around Salem, Columbiana, around Ytown, East Palestine, even north toward Cortland? Have any places like this you can point me to?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:03 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Location, location, location. Search around. The most desirable areas, which are all on your list, are going to be the most expensive.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
Check out Bazetta Twp (Cortland zip 44410), Lordstown, Weathersfield, Newton Twp, Braceville, Bristol, Mecca, Kinsman, Vernon, Hartford, Vienna, Fowler, Burghill, Masury, etc.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:05 AM

I did a quick search of Trumbull Co and although there are several homes that meet your criteria, most of the ones in rural areas have neighbors too close. The properties that have more than one bath are located in these types of areas..........country with 1-5 acres, but the neighbors are within a few hundred feet. It seems there are some more secluded ones, but they only have one bath. It seems you might have to change some of your criteria or buy some land and build. I'll post anything that I think might work.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Wow, thanks lot. I grew up in Beaver County PA near the PA 51/OH 14 border, but it seems I might as well be in another country, with regard to knowing this NE OH area.

I like that it is generally more flat in NE OH, taxes seem to be a bit better for homes, and I can't wait to not have to have my vehicles inspected/IM. I am early retired, no kids anymore to fret over schools, and it really comes down to finding the home I really connect with. Again, thanks!

BTW, and forgot to ask; what about all the homes with cisterns? I have only had actual wells, and it would seem to me a cistern means that the water volume may be low, too low to actually have water pumped on demand to a pressure tank?

Last edited by Jay_F; 04-08-2015 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 AM

One advantage in Ohio is that taxes are lower and you can vote for school levies. Lack of inspection is another plus. If schools aren't an issue you can really live anywhere.

One thing to be aware of in Ohio, and especially Trumbull County, is the septic issue. Make sure that any home you're looking at either has sewers (unlikely in the country) or that the septic system meets county and state criteria. If a system needs updated make sure the homeowner pays for the upgrade, buyers almost never pay for the upgrade ($10k-$20k in Trumbull County due to county regulations and I believe the state may have adopted the same) unless it's a foreclosure.

If i were you I would do a mls search of Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana Counties, not particular municipalities with your criteria. Many areas have a Warren, Cortland, Youngstown zip code, but they aren't actually in those cities. Howland and Champion both have Warren zips and many rural areas surrounding Cortland have a Cortland zip, but aren't actually in the city. I saw there were a couple of properties on St. Rt 46 that met your criteria in Bazetta Twp that might have sewers, but I'm not sure and they are within a couple hundred feet to the neighbors.

I really don't know anything about cisterns (i've always lived with city water). I thought most people only used cisterns for clothes washing and that weren't really legal as far as drinking water, but I could be completely wrong on that. I've never actually a cistern on a listing before. Hmm.......

If you have any questions about a particular street or area in Trumbull County I would be more than happy to help you with that. I know the county quite well, especially the central part of the county.

BTW, are you totally against two stories or 1/2 stories (cape cod's)? I saw some capes that met your criteria in Trumbull County as well. After looking yesterday it seems that most homes in Trumbull County that are "in the country" are actually pretty close to their neighbors, this seems to be the case all over the county on both state and country roads. It seems you would almost need to find a really unknown dirt or gravel road to find what you're looking for.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:02 AM

Thanks so much CG... I had pretty much drafted a post concerning Septic issues that I just posted. Thanks again for the tips, and sharing your knowledge... I will definitely take you up, on helping me with my questions.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:54 PM

Awesome. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,308 times
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M42196-55025

This just went up for sale 4/14. Not sure if the split level style is an issue. Great price and low taxes ($664.60) for the land (5.64 acres). It's about 15 miles south of Salem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: