U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
 
2 posts, read 13,276 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to move in the next 4-6 weeks, and have been trying to decide whether to stay put (In Columbus) or move closer to family in Findlay.

A couple of weeks ago I read an article that stated Findlays unemployment rate was the 4th largest in the state! YIKES! So now I'm leaning towards staying in Columbus as I have a well paying job working in a warehouse.

I guess I was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation from within Findlay. It would be nice to move closer to family, but I have my own family to support....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Findlay, OH
656 posts, read 2,230,906 times
Reputation: 329
Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklingwaters View Post
I'm getting ready to move in the next 4-6 weeks, and have been trying to decide whether to stay put (In Columbus) or move closer to family in Findlay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklingwaters View Post

A couple of weeks ago I read an article that stated Findlays unemployment rate was the 4th largest in the state! YIKES! So now I'm leaning towards staying in Columbus as I have a well paying job working in a warehouse.

I guess I was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation from within Findlay. It would be nice to move closer to family, but I have my own family to support....
Interesting. Where is this article? While I wouldn't be one to discount it off the bat, I do find it interesting that it went from the 7th lowest in 2004 to the 4th highest. That's a pretty big swing in 4 years.

You say you have family in Findlay? What do they have to say about the economy? Have you read any local economic press in The Courier that would shed light on the situation? Also, did you look at the classifieds while you were at it?

Here's an article for you:

Courier, The (Findlay, OH)
Jobless rates increase in most Ohio counties

LOU WILIN
STAFF WRITER
Published: January 23, 2008

Findlay and Hancock County's unemployment rates increased in December, but so did almost everybody else's.


Hancock County's jobless rate climbed to 4.7 percent from 4.3 in November, according to the Ohio Job and Family Services Department. Findlay's rate rose to 4.7 percent from 4.4 percent. Jobless rates also had increased in December 2006, but not as much. City and county rates then were 4.4 percent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, Columbus is only really two hours away (if driving the correct speed limit). That's really not too far, unless you're give house care to family. If that warehouse job of yours is well-paying enough, take the money and make frequent visits to Findlay.

Last edited by Yac; 01-28-2008 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the article.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 6,556,061 times
Reputation: 619
Unfortunately the nation is experiencing a high jump in unemployment. Just from November to December, there were large jumps all across the board.

Columbus's last recorded unemployment rate sits at 4.5%

Lima, close to Findlay was at 5.9%
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Findlay, OH
656 posts, read 2,230,906 times
Reputation: 329
Default Apples and Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Unfortunately the nation is experiencing a high jump in unemployment. Just from November to December, there were large jumps all across the board.

Columbus's last recorded unemployment rate sits at 4.5%

Lima, close to Findlay was at 5.9%
Which would probably shock outside observers, because Findlay's is 4.7% (per the article). The two towns function fairly independently of each other. Lima put its eggs into the manufacturing plant basket (i.e. the BP Refinery), while Findlay had better fortune with upper management setting up shop over the years (i.e. Marathon Oil and Cooper Tire & Rubber HQ's). I do also know there's a lot of old blood (100+ years residence) that help family out when needed. The downside is it isn't a city of change. Simply put: it is what it is.

Which is why it takes keen foresight to realize those company HQs won't last forever in a globally competitive market. The trick would be to hold down whatever's left presently and entice more upper level management to relocate to the city. This increases the demand of financial and high-end services (restaurants, shops, entertainment, etc.) and therefore increasing the tax revenue flowing into the grubby little hands of the local government.

I do know, though, you can get more money at a job in Columbus than you would in Findlay. I would even be bold enough to say it's greater than the cost of living adjustment between the two cities.

With that said, if I were in the OP's shoes, I'd keep the well-paying job and just take several trips over the year to see family. I guess I don't see a couple of hours as that much of an obstacle. Three to four may be pushing it, but two, not so much. The cost (financial and opportunity) would be greater than the benefit of being 10-15 minutes away from family.

This is with the caveat, of course, they are not tending to their elderly relatives. In that case, they would definitely need to be within the city limits. Then again, there would be no dilemma in the first place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 6,556,061 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Which would probably shock outside observers, because Findlay's is 4.7% (per the article). The two towns function fairly independently of each other. Lima put its eggs into the manufacturing plant basket (i.e. the BP Refinery), while Findlay had better fortune with upper management setting up shop over the years (i.e. Marathon Oil and Cooper Tire & Rubber HQ's). I do also know there's a lot of old blood (100+ years residence) that help family out when needed. The downside is it isn't a city of change. Simply put: it is what it is.

Which is why it takes keen foresight to realize those company HQs won't last forever in a globally competitive market. The trick would be to hold down whatever's left presently and entice more upper level management to relocate to the city. This increases the demand of financial and high-end services (restaurants, shops, entertainment, etc.) and therefore increasing the tax revenue flowing into the grubby little hands of the local government.

I do know, though, you can get more money at a job in Columbus than you would in Findlay. I would even be bold enough to say it's greater than the cost of living adjustment between the two cities.

With that said, if I were in the OP's shoes, I'd keep the well-paying job and just take several trips over the year to see family. I guess I don't see a couple of hours as that much of an obstacle. Three to four may be pushing it, but two, not so much. The cost (financial and opportunity) would be greater than the benefit of being 10-15 minutes away from family.

This is with the caveat, of course, they are not tending to their elderly relatives. In that case, they would definitely need to be within the city limits. Then again, there would be no dilemma in the first place.
Thank you for the info. I have heard many good things from people about Findlay. I know it has some really nice parks, and the downtown area is very nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
 
2 posts, read 13,276 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
You say you have family in Findlay? What do they have to say about the economy? Have you read any local economic press in The Courier that would shed light on the situation? Also, did you look at the classifieds while you were at it?
My family isn't very helpful in this respect. My siblings have had the same jobs for almost 10 years. They are fairly insulated from change right now, and they don't have reason to know anything about anything but their own career path.

I have been looking in the Courier. Not much going on unless I want to work in food service.

Things are a bit more complicated than just moving. My ex-h is moving up there which is the only reason I'm considering it. It's important for my young kids, but not so important that I'm willing to live on welfare either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Findlay, OH
656 posts, read 2,230,906 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklingwaters View Post
My family isn't very helpful in this respect. My siblings have had the same jobs for almost 10 years. They are fairly insulated from change right now, and they don't have reason to know anything about anything but their own career path.

I have been looking in the Courier. Not much going on unless I want to work in food service.

Things are a bit more complicated than just moving. My ex-h is moving up there which is the only reason I'm considering it. It's important for my young kids, but not so important that I'm willing to live on welfare either.
Unfortunately, I've not much else to say, but my suggestion is still valid. The rest is your choice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 6,556,061 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklingwaters View Post
My family isn't very helpful in this respect. My siblings have had the same jobs for almost 10 years. They are fairly insulated from change right now, and they don't have reason to know anything about anything but their own career path.

I have been looking in the Courier. Not much going on unless I want to work in food service.

Things are a bit more complicated than just moving. My ex-h is moving up there which is the only reason I'm considering it. It's important for my young kids, but not so important that I'm willing to live on welfare either.
Where are you moving from?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Burkina Faso
422 posts, read 699,995 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklingwaters View Post
I'm getting ready to move in the next 4-6 weeks, and have been trying to decide whether to stay put (In Columbus) or move closer to family in Findlay.

A couple of weeks ago I read an article that stated Findlays unemployment rate was the 4th largest in the state! YIKES! So now I'm leaning towards staying in Columbus as I have a well paying job working in a warehouse.

I guess I was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation from within Findlay. It would be nice to move closer to family, but I have my own family to support....
That's kind of surprising. Findlay is supposed to have a very strong economy, or at least it used to back in the 1990's. The city was known for a strong track record of attracting well paying corporate jobs, especially for a small town. Marathon Oil is in Findlay, and Microsoft used to employ 200 computer programmers there. The public high school in Findlay is one of the best in all of NW Ohio.

I'm not a big fan of Ohio's small towns, but if I absolutely had to pick one to live in it would be Findlay, because it's a lot more white collar, educated, etc. than the other ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2008, 05:54 PM
 
Location: UP of Michigan
1,767 posts, read 2,306,344 times
Reputation: 5719
My daughter works in Findlay. I moved N. 17yrs ago. Since then the city has grown alot! They have most recently had flooding which was the final straw for the local Elks Lodge. Msft bought a software company and I guess some still work there in town (online). Marathon has since moved their hq..... but still a nice place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top