Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,364 times

Advertisements

So I know this topic is asked a thousand times here, and yes I've read some threads. I figured this would be easier to outline what we are looking for, I've just confused myself and haven't narrowed it down any by reading any other the previous threads.

Anywho, my husband and I are strongly considering relocating to Ohio due the the high cost of living associated with NJ. I was born and raised down by the shore, and he was raised in NW NJ which is where we reside now, in quite possibly the most affluent/expensive county. We are renting right now and paying 1365 a month for a 500 sq. ft 1bed/1bath apartment... and no washer dryer or hookups of the like (i must say, it is an updated apartment and in a safe area) we COULD go cheaper, but not by much and it would be in a crappy area. Think maybe 300 cheaper and not updated. oh well.

Finding work wouldn't be the issue as I'm an administrative assistant (office manager, receptionist) and my husband is able to switch over any licenses he has to Ohio for work. We have done out research and Ohio constantly comes out on top for salary in my husband's field vs cost of living.

Now to narrow it down to an area. We understand that the winters are drab and there is snow. Living in NW NJ we deal with snow during the winter so it's not a big deal, but on the other hand we would rather no go somewhere where there is gigantic amounts of snow, so I guess that crosses off the north east area and the coast.

We would like:
family friendly (no kids yet, but we will be in a few years)
kind of rural suburban
but not too far from shopping (would be willing to drive 45 minutes to go to a target or walmart for non necessities)
has some farmers markets for produce
friendly people (although anything other than NJ residents would be an improvement)
small town feel
cheaper rent for an apartment off the bat, would be GREAT if we could pay 1000 for a 2bed with washer and dryer/hookups

would be nice:
events through out the year, doesn't have to be IN the town we live, but close by would be nice
more than one grocery store
offers more than just chain restaurants close by
a mall within 30-45 minutes

I realize we sound very bland, but we would rather drive to a city to experience the culture rather than living right in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Here is a map with the average annual snowfall in Ohio:

Here is a similar map of New Jersey: http://www.lightinthestorm.com/wp-co...-Avg-Snow3.png
(I only want to post a link for the NJ map, because it's not on a DOT website, like Ohio's and I"m not sure about copyright)

Unless you want even less snow than where you're coming from, it looks like you can include some of NE Ohio in your search.

I'm sure there are a lot of places in Ohio that would suit your needs. But, having grown up there, I think western and southern Stark County would meet your needs. Lots of rolling hills/farm country, close to Amish country, (in Hol//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/2416237-thinking-about-relocating-nj-oh-need.htmlmes County) but also close to small/medium sized cities like Massillon and Canton. Belden Village, a pretty large mall complex is further north, but still probably less than a 45 minute drive. I don't know about actual farmer's markets, but there are often lots of individual roadside stands, in summer.

Finding an apartment in the "rural suburban" areas might be the hardest part. Most apartments I know of are going to be in the larger towns/cities, like Canton, Canton suburbs, Massillon, Navarre, Brewster, etc. If you want to be more "in the country" you'd probably have to rent a house. But even a house might be available for rent for less than $1000/mo. (not including utilities, of course)

But, like I said, there are lots of places in Ohio that will probably fit what you're looking for, and this is just one.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Here are some threads to ponder:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ve-ohio-5.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...n-squares.html

Regarding snow, you likely only need to avoid the "lake effect snowbelt" northeast of Cleveland.

Here are some links about snow totals across the state:

Average Annual Snowfall Totals in Ohio - Current Results

Note above that western Lorain County, west of Cleveland, and southwest Medina County, southwest of Cleveland, get relatively small amounts of snow. Both areas are relatively close to Cleveland, which has superior cultural institutions and pro sports venues compared to other Ohio cities, if that's a concern. I'm thinking it might be, given your relative proximity to NYC currently.

https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Division...s/Snowfall.gif

Perhaps check out the likes of Oberlin or Wellington.

Here's something else to consider -- avg. number of tornadoes per year. Note that most Ohio tornadoes are small and cause no fatalities.

SE Lincoln, NE USA Weather Website - SPC Watch Summaries by Year

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral...with_deta.html

See maps 2.3a and b here:

https://ohiosharpp.ema.state.oh.us/O...23_Tornado.pdf

See average annual tornado watches here:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ted_States.svg

Where is Tornado Alley? - WBRC Weather

Last edited by WRnative; 07-27-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,364 times
Thank you both for all of the information! It certainly did help, and I think we are going to take a trip out there within the next month or two and see some of it for ourselves to start narrowing it down even more.

I had one other question, while we don't mind the amount of snow we have gotten where we are now the snow removal process.... sucks. To say the very least. How is the snow removal in the areas that will get roughly the same amount of snow?`(30-60inches on average)

Old 07-28-2015, 11:05 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNHLS View Post
Thank you both for all of the information! It certainly did help, and I think we are going to take a trip out there within the next month or two and see some of it for ourselves to start narrowing it down even more.

I had one other question, while we don't mind the amount of snow we have gotten where we are now the snow removal process.... sucks. To say the very least. How is the snow removal in the areas that will get roughly the same amount of snow?`(30-60inches on average)
In northeast Ohio, snow removal capabilities vary by county and by community. Likely, snow removal capabilities are better in communities that get more snow, with capabilities declining as you move south, especially below Route 30, and then again, below I-70.

Some Greater Cleveland suburbs even have sidewalk plows. Communities with sidewalk plows obviously are serious about snow removal.

Rural area snow removal likely varies from county to county and from township to township. Your best bet is ask the locals.

One trade-off is that salaries vary greatly across the state. They are higher near major metropolitan areas. E.g., check teacher salaries as a proxy. Of course, cost of living also similarly varies, but likely by not as much as salaries.

If you plan to raise a family in the community to which you relocate, certainly consider school quality. This site is fairly good.

http://www.greatschools.org/

If you're familiar with some NJ school systems, perhaps check them out as a reference for the site's accuracy.

Here's another thread that may be useful:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ggestions.html

You also may want to research fracking and fracking waste water injection wells, especially if you plan to rely on well water.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-28-2015 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 AM

22 posts, read 43,185 times
Sounds like you would fit in Central Ohio well. You can live in the periphery of the suburbs, have land and be in the open, and still have less than a 30 commute into the city. There are a ton of really great malls (Easton, Polaris) and some great school districts. Rent is super cheap, and the job market is one of the hottest in the state.

That being said, it does get some snow, but nothing compared to anything near Lake Erie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: