Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
And you would be correct.
There will always be racism. The media likes to fuel the fire. Its a waste of energy on something that will always exist.
I'm saying there are more pressing issues this country is facing that can be addressed and fixed.
Blaming the media is an excuse. US history is factually full of racism, and it continues today. It is widespread. The media didn't create that, and merely reporting it does not make them instigators. Sure, sometimes something called racist probably isn't and the claim of racism should be used with care and rational thought, but most of the time, I think it's called out pretty accurately.

And the idea that racism can't be fixed is silly. It's not about changing every single viewpoint, it's about making racism so disgusting in all its forms that those who wish to engage in it will be mitigated or shamed into silence. Civil society doesn't need that bs. It contributes absolutely nothing. It's fear mongering, it's ridiculously shallow thinking and it's morally abhorrent. It should never be tolerated.

In any case, racism can be addressed along with plenty of other issues at the same time. It's not like talking about foreign policy means that we can't tackle anything else.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Hey person who messaged me to say I am pathetic for calling out an obvious trend on ALL boards on this site: at least send a direct message. You are already hiding behind a keyboard and you're even unwilling to attach an anonymous username to your insults. Who's actually "pathetic" here?

All race conversation Is ridiculous. On all the forums on this site, not one person has ever been like "oh you're right, people are racist" or "oh you're right , maybe not everyone is racist." It's always a dumb conversation. Always. I've never seen an online forum thread about race that was at all eye opening or thought provoking. Same thing here.

And also, go ahead and look at other forums. You will find the same threads in all of them. In terms of the forums, this thread is a cliche.

Signed,

Bjimmy24

Old 10-09-2015, 06:02 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Blaming the media is an excuse. US history is factually full of racism, and it continues today. It is widespread. The media didn't create that, and merely reporting it does not make them instigators. Sure, sometimes something called racist probably isn't and the claim of racism should be used with care and rational thought, but most of the time, I think it's called out pretty accurately.

And the idea that racism can't be fixed is silly. It's not about changing every single viewpoint, it's about making racism so disgusting in all its forms that those who wish to engage in it will be mitigated or shamed into silence. Civil society doesn't need that bs. It contributes absolutely nothing. It's fear mongering, it's ridiculously shallow thinking and it's morally abhorrent. It should never be tolerated.

In any case, racism can be addressed along with plenty of other issues at the same time. It's not like talking about foreign policy means that we can't tackle anything else.
The media is a huge problem in this country when it comes to racial issues and racism. Didn't the media invent the term "white Hispanic" ? And why didn't the media report that michael brown deserved to die. He was a thug trying to take a cops gun, but I never heard the media say the truth. Its not news worthy if a black shoots a white guy is it? We only hear the story if a white cop kills a black... And you think we get good news? I'm done with this stupid conversation.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:06 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
The media is a huge problem in this country when it comes to racial issues and racism. Didn't the media invent the term "white Hispanic" ? And why didn't the media report that michael brown deserved to die. He was a thug trying to take a cops gun, but I never heard the media say the truth. Its not news worthy if a black shoots a white guy is it? We only hear the story if a white cop kills a black... And you think we get good news? I'm done with this stupid conversation.
How could the media invent something that always existed? "Hispanic" can be of any race. Here in Mexico, I have seen native-born Mexicans who were black, white, Asian, and of course, Native American. Most Mexicans are actually mixed race, and you will find that to be true in most Latin nations. Most Americans just consider them all brown, which adds a layer of racism on top of their general dislike of immigrants in that debate.

In regards to the Michael Brown case, you were dealing with an all-white police force in a majority black neighborhood, which shouldn't exist in the first place. You also had a cop who had been part of a previously disbanded police force because of corruption, who was again found to be in questionable circumstances. He also had associations with white nationalists. So to say the cop was reliable in a case that directly dealt with race and the honesty of a story that only one side could tell is laughable. To top it off, the case highlighted the reality that there is widespread systemic racism in the justice system as well as the controversial use of deadly force by police officers nationally. None of these facts did the media make up. There were so many elements to the story that were questionable from the beginning. IMO, the cop got away with murder in the same way that George Zimmerman did. And BTW, stealing from a grocery store is not actually a capital offense.

We hear about it because white cops aren't generally gunning down whites as a matter of practice. It happens, but on a much different scale than it does with blacks. They're treated differently, and there are countless examples of that. On the wider view, I also just think cops in the US tend to use deadly force far more often than needed. The militarization of police forces is a big problem.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:21 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
The only immigrants that I resent are law breaking, tax dollar sucking illegals.
There ya go! You are 100% correct.

But, back to the original question, WTF?

There isn't a major, and probably minor, city in the state that does not contain a mix of cultures. Hispanic, Asian, Indian, West African, African American, Caucasians from everywhere as well as almost every religion on earth.

Where did the OP come up with this crap?

If it was about segregation, many old neighborhoods were segregated in the past. Those areas are now becoming melting pots. Look at OTR, The West End, Price Hill, Westwood (very mixed including large West African population that immigrated recently). Even the very segregated cities within Cincinnati's boundaries like Norwood and St Barnard are becoming integrated.

I am sure that Ohio like any Midwest state has it's haters, but is no worse than others.

The only truly segregated areas of Cincy (and most likely other cities) are the older poorer areas where the elderly cant move out. That will change just like the West End and OTR did recently.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Sure, and the immigrants and non whites are just dummies seeking to disperse and live up according some academic definitions of "diversity" instead of huddling together for jobs, community and human warmth. I know firsthand that "normal" American life the native borns created for themselves scares hell out of many immigrants who are not used to the American levels of rootlessness, superficial relations if not isolations. It takes certain personal traits for a generic immigrant to abandon ethnic base and delve into American mainstream that, to a large extent, would treat an immigrant just the same as it treats everybody else, i.e. in the ways many immigrants find terrifying.

Last edited by RememberMee; 10-11-2015 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 08:38 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
So true... But The sheep are supposed to be arguing about racism. And abortion. About white cops killing blacks. About religion. About kardashians. About fast food. Etc. Etc. This way the sheep are not paying attention to the Big picture.. You know, things like the democrats and Republicans robbing and squandering our tax dollars. Or how Putin is taking the middle east and bombing the rebels we are training. ... The powers that be, Want us divided..
OK, where were we? Oh yes, racism
Can't rep this enough.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:51 PM

19 posts, read 36,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There ya go! You are 100% correct.

But, back to the original question, WTF?

There isn't a major, and probably minor, city in the state that does not contain a mix of cultures. Hispanic, Asian, Indian, West African, African American, Caucasians from everywhere as well as almost every religion on earth.

Where did the OP come up with this crap?

If it was about segregation, many old neighborhoods were segregated in the past. Those areas are now becoming melting pots. Look at OTR, The West End, Price Hill, Westwood (very mixed including large West African population that immigrated recently). Even the very segregated cities within Cincinnati's boundaries like Norwood and St Barnard are becoming integrated.

I am sure that Ohio like any Midwest state has it's haters, but is no worse than others.

The only truly segregated areas of Cincy (and most likely other cities) are the older poorer areas where the elderly cant move out. That will change just like the West End and OTR did recently.

Containing a mixture of cultures and being accepting of them are two different things. Minorities are tolerated here.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hey person who messaged me to say I am pathetic for calling out an obvious trend on ALL boards on this site: at least send a direct message. You are already hiding behind a keyboard and you're even unwilling to attach an anonymous username to your insults. Who's actually "pathetic" here?

All race conversation Is ridiculous. On all the forums on this site, not one person has ever been like "oh you're right, people are racist" or "oh you're right , maybe not everyone is racist." It's always a dumb conversation. Always. I've never seen an online forum thread about race that was at all eye opening or thought provoking. Same thing here.

And also, go ahead and look at other forums. You will find the same threads in all of them. In terms of the forums, this thread is a cliche.

Signed,

Bjimmy24

It's called freedom of speech. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion it may be ridiculous to you but to some it's worth discussing.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Signed,

Bjimmy24

Only thing that's dumb is calling a conversation about racism dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio