Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times

Advertisements

I have every right to post on this thread and will continue to do so. You guys who have left or are leaving can keep high fiving each other but I can't wait to see all of the complaints you have about your new locales. Your problems and your negative attitudes aren't going to go away just because you left a certain city or state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:53 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
We DO NOT want someone else to pay for our children's education, that's why we sent our kids to Catholic Parochial school and pay private tuition AS WELL AS pay property taxes to support the public school system.
Then I'm sure you realize that Catholic education is greatly subsidized by donations and endowments? It costs much more to fund your child's education than what you're paying to attend a Catholic school. If you really want to pay for every last penny of your child's education, you should choose a private, independent day school. That will only cost you about $17,000-$25,000 a year.

Quote:
And to answer your last question, why don't YOU and OTHERS who don't want to leave Ohio stay OFF of this thread and quit your bullying. Obviously, it's NOT fine that people want to leave Ohio, because you (and others) keep telling them that they're stupid or crazy for wanting to do so. Then if that isn't enough, you have the nerve and audacity to accuse those who are working and paying taxes as being the leeches, the ones that want something for nothing.
These are issues that reach farther than your problems with Ohio. Maybe moving will be good for you and you'll realize that these things don't only happen in Ohio, but they happen everywhere.

I never once said you're stupid or crazy for moving. I do, however, feel that your bashing of Ohio on your way out the door is unnecessary. Your implication is that people are stupid or crazy for wanting to say. That's silly.

Quote:
Then you say that I'm angry and bitter that others like it and have actually found ways to be happy here? Really, is that so? Obviously, YOU and the other bully posters are angry and bitter that others who have lived here for 40 years plus want something different than what Ohio has to offer at this point. Did you EVER think, that just perhaps, people move on at some point in their life???
I don't care that you want something else. If that's the case, then fine, do as you please. I just think it's ridiculous that you need to bash Ohio and expect no one to step in and defend it, especially when this is going on on an Ohio board. Trust me, people like you have come in and ruin many a thread about the good things going on in Ohio.

Quote:
And "Ohio isn't doomed to failure" - who said that it was? Sounds to me like you're the one that's insinuating that someone said that. Maybe you're the one that secretly believes that it is and now you're transferring your belief onto other people.
Nah, you may not have explicitly said it, but it's implied in your posts. And others have said it.

Quote:
At this point, I do NOT care what the state of Ohio does or does not do. My husband and I have gone to school in Ohio our whole lives, have gone to college in Ohio, have graduated college in Ohio, have worked faithfully in Ohio and paid our taxes since I was 14 and he was 16 (the time we started working and paid taxes). So that means that we've paid Ohio taxes for 32 years. If that isn't enough "support" for Ohio, then that's too bad. Maybe the 2nd and 3rd generation Ohio welfare leaches have done much better than we have; they've offered Ohio so MUCH support. If "leach off the system" = "we support Ohio" - then by golly, we ARE the problem because we aren't leaching off of the system enough.

You're going to pay taxes that are going to end up in the hands of "leeches" no matter where you go. And working towards improving a community means more than just paying taxes. Again, like I mentioned about, I think your issue here has more to do with taxes and those who abuse the welfare system.

Quote:
Finally, I thought that this thread was for the people "who are thinking of leaving Ohio." Who wants to post when they're going to get attacked? Perhaps that's your MO (and the MO of those like you). If Ohio works for you, fine. You have no right to attack and belittle those who post on this thread. I have no clue why you take it so personally or why it matters. Maybe you just need to know that you're right. If that's so, then fine, "Oh, you're right, oh you're so right, yeah, you're right" (done in the Marissa Tomei voice from "My Cousin Vinny").
Perhaps it's because of your negative attitude and the general sentiment of this thread? Maybe you can find something somewhere else that isn't in Ohio. That's great, be happy. Just stop with the constant bashing of Ohio like no one can find happiness here.

Quote:
This thread was going fine with a few interruptions from those who couldn't handle other people's comments. Now the people that are posting (that want to leave) have to have a running debate with the ones that want to stay. Why don't you (and the other Ohio die-hards) go to the Cleveland thread entitled "Are you staying or are you going"? That thread will at least offer you a voice and opinion on staying in Ohio.
"Wahhhh! Our bash-fest of Ohio on the Ohio forum was going great until someone who likes the state and likes living here decided to step in and defend it for once. Now we actually have to think about things and perhaps acknowledge that no place is perfect. Boohoo."

Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I have every right to post on this thread and will continue to do so. You guys who have left or are leaving can keep high fiving each other but I can't wait to see all of the complaints you have about your new locales. Your problems and your negative attitudes aren't going to go away just because you left a certain city or state.
Can't rep you for this post, but well said. Especially the part about everyone having the right to post on this thread, no matter their opinion.

The issues I read complaints about are in no way exclusive to Ohio. Y'all are kidding yourselves if you think job issues, high taxes, people with no teeth, and rain will miraculously disappear when you move.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
[quote=Ohiogirl81;7299018]Can't rep you for this post, but well said. Especially the part about everyone having the right to post on this thread, no matter their opinion.

The issues I read complaints about are in no way exclusive to Ohio. Y'all are kidding yourselves if you think job issues, high taxes, people with no teeth, and rain will miraculously disappear when you move. [/QUOTE]

This past summer in our travels we were in N. Dakota, Minn. Wisconsin, NY, Conn. Illinois, Indiana, Maine, N.H. (not in that order lol), and in reading their newspapers there were front page articles of huge budget shortfalls, lay-offs and just plain depressing news. Now it's starting to also affect Alaska. And yes I saw people in those States with no teeth, rain, tornadoes touching down...etc...etc...No perfect place, otherwise we'd all be there.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:16 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

This past summer in our travels we were in N. Dakota, Minn. Wisconsin, NY, Conn. Illinois, Indiana, Maine, N.H. (not in that order lol), and in reading their newspapers there were front page articles of huge budget shortfalls, lay-offs and just plain depressing news. Now it's starting to also affect Alaska. And yes I saw people in those States with no teeth, rain, tornadoes touching down...etc...etc...No perfect place, otherwise we'd all be there.
So Pat, when are you returning to Alaska? Or are you stuck in Ohio for a while?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
So Pat, when are you returning to Alaska? Or are you stuck in Ohio for a while?
Everything is up-in-the-air right now until issues can be resolved with husband's mom's health and other problems she has (we had her in Alaska with us last Spring and she didn't like it there; hard when an elderly person is not in their home they have been in for years). I don't consider us to be stuck in Ohio since it's a choice we made between Ohio and NY. NY is very expensive and just too many people there for me. We still have our house in Alaska. It's really frustrating until things are resolved and which direction they will take. At least in the meantime, I am close to family.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Everything is up-in-the-air right now until issues can be resolved with husband's mom's health and other problems she has (we had her in Alaska with us last Spring and she didn't like it there; hard when an elderly person is not in their home they have been in for years). I don't consider us to be stuck in Ohio since it's a choice we made between Ohio and NY. NY is very expensive and just too many people there for me. We still have our house in Alaska. It's really frustrating until things are resolved and which direction they will take. At least in the meantime, I am close to family.
Keeping your house in Alaska was a good decision. Say, how does Alaska's winter compare to Ohio's? Other than the obvious of course.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
"Wahhhh! Our bash-fest of Ohio on the Ohio forum was going great until someone who likes the state and likes living here decided to step in and defend it for once. Now we actually have to think about things and perhaps acknowledge that no place is perfect. Boohoo."
it is more people on the ohio forum are much more concerned with their own cities rather than the state at large. which is a shame, since most of the state is alright except for youngstown.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
^^I"m sure there's a sizeable number of people in Youngstown who would disagree with you.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,789 times
1) Current or former Ohio location:

Jewett, Harrison County.

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

Living in such a small place felt suffocating and the boredom was intolerable. I felt as though I was more open-minded and 'liberal' than others so it was hard finding like-minded people to befriend.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

Husband lived in San Jose so I moved there. Much more to do and the weather is absolutely wonderful. Our 'winter' is rain and otherwise the most you need is a light jacket. If we want snow, we drive a couple hours north. Want beaches? Drive a couple hours south. EVERYTHING is here and you cannot run out of things to do.

6) Anything else you want to say?

I'm currently moving back to Harrison County. The economy is just as bad here as it is elsewhere but it is Techy central so people are faring a little bit better. A couple places that I sent my resume to said they had gotten hundreds of resumes so it would take them weeks to sort and find a good applicant. The grass might seem greener but it really isn't. We pay $1,800 for a 2 bedroom apartment that is about 1,000sq ft and we are getting a decent deal. Gas is expensive, food is expensive and if you want to do ANYTHING it is going to cost you. I miss the community feeling and the slower pace. Out here, everything is GOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOGO and everyone is in it for themselves. I also haven't heard a bird chirp in days, I miss it.

The husband has lived in San Jose a good portion of his life. He works in the tech industry and has a great job, however when we went to visit family back in Cadiz, Ohio, he LOVED it. He can't wait to move there as well.

I miss home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio