Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'd take snow over cold and rainy. At least snow freshens up the landscape.
I agree. We have snow here, but, most is the pretty, white, fluffy kind. We rarely have that black, dirty ice balls. I'll have a foot on my front lawn in the morning, &, it's melted, gone, by the afternoon as we are usually sunny. lol I take snow over rain & gray as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Charlotte's average temp in January is 51 degrees and sun,
my kids wear shorts year round. My kids do look forward to the 2 snow day where we get a couple inches of the white stuff, different strokes for different folks
Snow days? What are those? lol We have 2 or more FEET of snow, & school has never been cancelled here. I'm lucky my kids are so close to school, they can walk. PS, for me, 51 is too hot. I keep our heater at 60 at night in the winter, & 62-64 during the day. Like you said, even though I'm skinny, different strokes. =) I like cooler. =) I love fall & spring. =)

Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Honestly, as much as I have defended the state and its cities, I have to admit that the best time I ever had in my life was when I wasn't living here. I never realized how much animosity existed between people and cities here until recently. We are NOT in this together, and sometimes you are forced into taking a hard look around and realizing that what you love is not enough. Ohio is where I am from... where I was born and raised. Less and less, however, does it feel like home.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Honestly, as much as I have defended the state and its cities, I have to admit that the best time I ever had in my life was when I wasn't living here. I never realized how much animosity existed between people and cities here until recently. We are NOT in this together, and sometimes you are forced into taking a hard look around and realizing that what you love is not enough. Ohio is where I am from... where I was born and raised. Less and less, however, does it feel like home.
I'm crushed to say I agree. It's almost easier in a state w/ one 'big' city, like where I live now, Utah, SLC is the 'big dog', where all the media, etc is located, & the news is statewide. Not 3 C's trying to be the 'best'. FWIW, Cleveland has always been the big one, but, Columbus caught up & passed them. Cincy, well, I've been told if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything, so, I'll keep quiet. lol It's nice to visit there though. & we have family close to there.

I miss the food. The humidity is what kills me. =(

Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I'm crushed to say I agree. It's almost easier in a state w/ one 'big' city, like where I live now, Utah, SLC is the 'big dog', where all the media, etc is located, & the news is statewide. Not 3 C's trying to be the 'best'. FWIW, Cleveland has always been the big one, but, Columbus caught up & passed them. Cincy, well, I've been told if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything, so, I'll keep quiet. lol It's nice to visit there though. & we have family close to there.

I miss the food. The humidity is what kills me. =(
I guess I'm just getting over the attitudes here, and I'm not just talking about online or anything like that. I try to be positive and present a positive picture, but let's face it, Ohio is not doing great. It had one of the lowest growth rates for the Census, fueled almost exclusively by immigrants. If it weren't for them, we'd be as crappy as Michigan, which actually DID lose people. And then there's the cities... It's a who's who of decline, high unemployment rates, and the butt of national jokes. It's embarrassing. And the one city doing relatively okay seems to be universally hated by the rest of the state, mostly by people who seem to think that a few new buildings and a video of a helicopter fly-over of downtown is going to somehow reverse 60 years of the state and city leadership destroying our reputation and industries. But hey, I hear shale will save us!! As if we weren't already one the most environmentally devastated states in the nation.

And hey Akron, how in the h*ll do you allow crime to go up over 50% when we are seeing rates drop nationally to the lowest levels in 40 years??

I'm surprised Cleveland still wants you in their MSA... but let's face it, they need all the people they can get. Losing 60% of the population since 1950 is almost best in the nation. I can almost hear the sucking sound as your metro loses people to the Sunbelt, which actually sees sunshine. "Mistake on the Lake" would be appropriate, except access to it is blocked by a highway and an airport. Good planning there, guys. But hey, you can still high-five each other on the Terminal Tower. It's been your greatest accomplishment since Rockefeller, because absolutely nothing has happened since.

And Toledo, your two claims to fame are Katie Holmes and... yeah I've got nothing. You make even Detroit look awesome. Seriously, I can't believe we fought a war for you.

Dayton.. wow you've been pretty sad since that 1913 flood... you know, the one where NCR converted production to flatboats and saved lives. Where's NCR now? Oh yeah... But hey, you still have Wright Patt. Tough break on that whole Shuttle thing, but let's be honest, who comes to that museum except other Ohioans who can't think of anything better to do.

Cincinnati... you haven't been the "Queen City" since 1845, it's time to move on. The hills are nice, but frankly, it makes your roads freaking awful. Anytime Mother Nature farts a snowflake, you had better prepare to spend 4 hours in traffic. And what exactly do you do there, anyway? Touchdown Jesus burned down, so your biggest tourist attraction is the 2nd best amusement park in the state. Yippee. I suppose you could visit one of the two other states in your gigantic, sprawling metro, but come on, who wants to visit KY or southern Indiana?

Youngstown... you haven't been cool since the Mafia was popular. And newsflash to city leaders... bulldozing half of your city is not actually considered economic development.

And finally Columbus... so you're the biggest city in the state, right? Oh, I know NOT metro, can't forget that, but come on, you can't put in some mass transit? Is your goal to be the largest city in the world without a gd train? Yet you're willing to put down a few billion to resurface a few miles of highway? Priorities?? And let's face it, if it wasn't for your gays fixing up your few urban neighborhoods, Cleveland would not be the most embarrassing big city in the state. Way to go bulldozing your density away back in the '60s. It's done wonders for you. And for the love of god, no more malls.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 10-03-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 06:20 AM

20 posts, read 44,157 times
Quote:
I guess I'm just getting over the attitudes here, and I'm not just talking about online or anything like that. I try to be positive and present a positive picture, but let's face it, Ohio is not doing great. It had one of the lowest growth rates for the Census, fueled almost exclusively by immigrants. If it weren't for them, we'd be as crappy as Michigan, which actually DID lose people. And then there's the cities... It's a who's who of decline, high unemployment rates, and the butt of national jokes. It's embarrassing. And the one city doing relatively okay seems to be universally hated by the rest of the state, mostly by people who seem to think that a few new buildings and a video of a helicopter fly-over of downtown is going to somehow reverse 60 years of the state and city leadership destroying our reputation and industries. But hey, I hear shale will save us!! As if we weren't already one the most environmentally devastated states in the nation.

And hey Akron, how in the h*ll do you allow crime to go up over 50% when we are seeing rates drop nationally to the lowest levels in 40 years??

I'm surprised Cleveland still wants you in their MSA... but let's face it, they need all the people they can get. Losing 60% of the population since 1950 is almost best in the nation. I can almost hear the sucking sound as your metro loses people to the Sunbelt, which actually sees sunshine. "Mistake on the Lake" would be appropriate, except access to it is blocked by a highway and an airport. Good planning there, guys. But hey, you can still high-five each other on the Terminal Tower. It's been your greatest accomplishment since Rockefeller, because absolutely nothing has happened since.

And Toledo, your two claims to fame are Katie Holmes and... yeah I've got nothing. You make even Detroit look awesome. Seriously, I can't believe we fought a war for you.

Dayton.. wow you've been pretty sad since that 1913 flood... you know, the one where NCR converted production to flatboats and saved lives. Where's NCR now? Oh yeah... But hey, you still have Wright Patt. Tough break on that whole Shuttle thing, but let's be honest, who comes to that museum except other Ohioans who can't think of anything better to do.

Cincinnati... you haven't been the "Queen City" since 1845, it's time to move on. The hills are nice, but frankly, it makes your roads freaking awful. Anytime Mother Nature farts a snowflake, you had better prepare to spend 4 hours in traffic. And what exactly do you do there, anyway? Touchdown Jesus burned down, so your biggest tourist attraction is the 2nd best amusement park in the state. Yippee. I suppose you could visit one of the two other states in your gigantic, sprawling metro, but come on, who wants to visit KY or southern Indiana?

Youngstown... you haven't been cool since the Mafia was popular. And newsflash to city leaders... bulldozing half of your city is not actually considered economic development.

And finally Columbus... so you're the biggest city in the state, right? Oh, I know NOT metro, can't forget that, but come on, you can't put in some mass transit? Is your goal to be the largest city in the world without a gd train? Yet you're willing to put down a few billion to resurface a few miles of highway? Priorities?? And let's face it, if it wasn't for your gays fixing up your few urban neighborhoods, Cleveland would not be the most embarrassing big city in the state. Way to go bulldozing your density away back in the '60s. It's done wonders for you. And for the love of god, no more malls.

This. Times a thousand.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,060 times
Quote:

Kind of shocking coming from you. I was always impressed with how you handled yourself in other threads, and made it a point to prove people wrong, and did a good job at it. I was also impressed on UrbanOhio how you stood up for Columbus against Keith. Still, shocked to see you say this. What changed for you?

I travel for work, and barely ever get the time to come on here anymore, and I am assuming things must have changed for you between that time. I find most people on CD express their opinion and everyone goes ape sh** when they hear the wrong opinion. This site is slowly becoming a big waste of time; especially considering the non-educated people you have on here.

Anyway, between my travels, I thank god everyday Ohio has not become like Michigan, Florida, or any of the other depressed states economically. Other states that lack any real diversified topography, or cities that have no history at all, and a good night consists of going to the suburbs. Going to states that have no diversity in their economy. I don't know I guess, I think it takes people that are from outside of the state who have moved here or visited here to realize Ohio is just like any other state. Or all the people that have moved away and came back to Ohio because they realized it was better here... Ohio is a state full of people who have that grass is greener mentality. You have the extremely negative people who do nothing but bi*** 24/7, then you have the people that come here and are extremely successful and find all the great things Ohio has to offer. This state offers so much more than other states, but the negativity has got to go. The only thing that holds Ohio back is Ohioans....

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Kind of shocking coming from you. I was always impressed with how you handled yourself in other threads, and made it a point to prove people wrong, and did a good job at it. I was also impressed on UrbanOhio how you stood up for Columbus against Keith. Still, shocked to see you say this. What changed for you?

I travel for work, and barely ever get the time to come on here anymore, and I am assuming things must have changed for you between that time. I find most people on CD express their opinion and everyone goes ape sh** when they hear the wrong opinion. This site is slowly becoming a big waste of time; especially considering the non-educated people you have on here.

Anyway, between my travels, I thank god everyday Ohio has not become like Michigan, Florida, or any of the other depressed states economically. Other states that lack any real diversified topography, or cities that have no history at all, and a good night consists of going to the suburbs. Going to states that have no diversity in their economy. I don't know I guess, I think it takes people that are from outside of the state who have moved here or visited here to realize Ohio is just like any other state. Or all the people that have moved away and came back to Ohio because they realized it was better here... Ohio is a state full of people who have that grass is greener mentality. You have the extremely negative people who do nothing but bi*** 24/7, then you have the people that come here and are extremely successful and find all the great things Ohio has to offer. This state offers so much more than other states, but the negativity has got to go. The only thing that holds Ohio back is Ohioans....
There is nothing shocking about it. The Ohio forum on C-D lives for just two cities, Cleveland and Cincinnati. God forbid if you actually like Columbus and state as much. Or worse, if you provide actual, real statistics that may not show those cities as the most wonderful vibrant cities in the entire country. It gets old. It's easier to just play the game. And it's not just C-D. I've encountered this on just about every other forum. So why not be negative? You're definitely right about the last point... Ohioans hold this state back, and when I really get down to it, maybe I'd rather live somewhere where the worst enemies are not fellow residents.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,060 times
Quote:
There is nothing shocking about it. The Ohio forum on C-D lives for just two cities, Cleveland and Cincinnati. God forbid if you actually like Columbus and state as much. Or worse, if you provide actual, real statistics that may not show those cities as the most wonderful vibrant cities in the entire country. It gets old. It's easier to just play the game. And it's not just C-D. I've encountered this on just about every other forum. So why not be negative? You're definitely right about the last point... Ohioans hold this state back, and when I really get down to it, maybe I'd rather live somewhere where the worst enemies are not fellow residents.
Hey, I like Columbus and stick up for it. Did you read one of my recent posts in the skyline thread? No matter where you go (this is coming from a resident of another state, and like I have said before, travel for work more than I am home) you are going to encounter people who hate where they live. When I go to Michigan everyone talks down on how shi**y life is there, or go down to Florida where everyone complains about the heat, traffic and nothing to do outside of going to the beach (which gets old). Go to the middle part of the country where there is absolutely nothing to do besides praise yourself for how the oil boom is doing you well, or a new farm went up on 350 acres of land. Everywhere you go, you find people who complain about an areas problems.... that is life in America, we are never happy and are a very transient society.

Don't stoop down to the negative and haters level. If you want out of Columbus, go for it. I find it to be an awesome up-and-coming city that plenty of people have good things to say about. Who cares what people in Cincinnati and Cleveland say, that is what happens when you live in a state of 11.5 million people and have big cities. It happens in Florida, Texas, California, Pennsylvania, Missouri, etc. People love to compete in state as well. Take a trip around the forum, you will see that Ohio is not alone in the rivalries of its cities.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Hey, I like Columbus and stick up for it. Did you read one of my recent posts in the skyline thread? No matter where you go (this is coming from a resident of another state, and like I have said before, travel for work more than I am home) you are going to encounter people who hate where they live. When I go to Michigan everyone talks down on how shi**y life is there, or go down to Florida where everyone complains about the heat, traffic and nothing to do outside of going to the beach (which gets old). Go to the middle part of the country where there is absolutely nothing to do besides praise yourself for how the oil boom is doing you well, or a new farm went up on 350 acres of land. Everywhere you go, you find people who complain about an areas problems.... that is life in America, we are never happy and are a very transient society.

Don't stoop down to the negative and haters level. If you want out of Columbus, go for it. I find it to be an awesome up-and-coming city that plenty of people have good things to say about. Who cares what people in Cincinnati and Cleveland say, that is what happens when you live in a state of 11.5 million people and have big cities. It happens in Florida, Texas, California, Pennsylvania, Missouri, etc. People love to compete in state as well. Take a trip around the forum, you will see that Ohio is not alone in the rivalries of its cities.
I do like Columbus very much, despite the vast negativity that exists from both within and outside of it, but you make a good point. I used to think that Ohioans were just unhappy people in general to always be complaining so much about a state I always found to be underrated. In my travels, however, I have found this to be true for just about everyone. The only time I didn't experience this was when I lived in Mexico. For all their terrible problems with the drug cartels, poverty, etc... you would think they were living in paradise. Perhaps that's one reason why I see things differently. In comparison to a good portion of the world, Americans have it pretty good, and yet so often we are the biggest whiners. I was reading and article the other day about the Wall Street protests going on in NYC, and there was a student interviewed who said something to the effect of, "I don't think we want much, just that we don't have to settle for beans and rice every day." I thought, most people in the world would kill for that every day. It's a staple. Maybe our expectations are just completely unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio