Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:17 PM

279 posts, read 587,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Proud Miami grad here. However, it ain't for everyone. There are left-of-center folks on campus, and you don't have to look TOO hard, but they certainly don't predominate. It is a Public Ivy and acts the part: huge Greek life, driven on traditional ivy-walled college aspects such as a terrific Glee Club, with the possible exception of OU in Athens and "parts" of OSU it is THE terrific state university. Great business college, solid school of education, great social sciences. Arts are there, but they definitely don't drive the school and one might even argue that they are somewhat of an afterthought. Sports are there, important as much for tradition as anything. Ungodly proud in the Alumni department. Earned and deserved chest-thumping (on an LL Bean cardigan, mind you) in that way.
It is definitely the kind of place where undergrad legacies from Rocky River and Grosse Pointe and Winnetka drive shiny new Miatas. As a commuter student, I did get tired of the geography professors asking "how many of you are going to EUROPE for spring break?" and HALF the class raising their hands. Unbelievable as a working student to comprehend.
As a result, the town of Oxford seems overwhelmed by the school sometimes. there is a definite Young Student Vs Older Townie vibe at times, but not hostile or uncomfortable (as can be the case in other schools...I'm thinking of Oberlin which I witness about every other day, where the town and its surroundings are small town Ohio, and the students and faculty are left of Lenin). Oxford is spectacular in the fall. It is not Madison or Ann Arbor though...it's too small and both of those college towns are larger and more "stereotypically academic"...politically and socially. Not to mention their identity drives them. Oxford really is not like that. Oxford somehow balances small town Ohio with College Town.
Despite the narrow mindedness of many at Miami, I truly treasured my time there. And the Miata-driving undergrads weren't nearly as insufferable as I had thought they'd be. And Cincinnati and Dayton are about 45 minutes away if I ever needed to get out of town. It can feel isolated there....like you are on a college island. Again...not for everyone.
The town and the college are like out of a movie. Great place to raise kids. Lots to do culturally and socially as a result of the college, and the local schools also.
Stop at Mac & Joe's (in an alley downtown) for lunch and have a burger for me.
The most honest assessment by an alumni I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:33 PM

233 posts, read 409,894 times
[quote=HPY1;45858543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebush1 View Post

Honestly, you are the only person I've known to speak so highly of the student body there. I've never heard of it being the envy of the Ohio public university system either. The campus itself is nice. Ohio University is just a nice. There is a distinct difference between the student body at Miami, Athens, Bowling Green, Kent, etc.
I don't resent success, maybe you do.
I'm very proud of Miami students I have known.
Of course student bodies are different at different colleges. But I don't put any of them down.
Of course one particular school isn't for everyone.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:46 AM

6 posts, read 6,827 times
i dont know what the job market is like but i went through oxford with family in june 2015 for fireworks.

every street corner we drove past we had to stop because of college age people always jay walking even in the middle of the road. it seems that people, at least the college crowd, is very obnoxious.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:22 AM

1,777 posts, read 2,190,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioShroomed View Post
i dont know what the job market is like but i went through oxford with family in june 2015 for fireworks.

every street corner we drove past we had to stop because of college age people always jay walking even in the middle of the road. it seems that people, at least the college crowd, is very obnoxious.
That is universal. Don't get me started on Oberlin. Their "pedestrian cluelessness" is a serious major source of the tension between townies and students. Lots of bikes but no bike lights, jaywalking galore. Love the school and the town but after several near misses (just this month) while driving I get the frustration.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:03 PM

279 posts, read 587,855 times
[quote=Rosebush1;45858791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post

I don't resent success, maybe you do.
I'm very proud of Miami students I have known.
Of course student bodies are different at different colleges. But I don't put any of them down.
Of course one particular school isn't for everyone.
Resent success? It is possible to be successful and be humble. It is possible to be successful and raise children that are humble. I simply advised that many people feel the Miami U student body is heavily engaged in conspicuous consumption along with an innate ability to brag about it. You clearly perceive that as an insult, which is your choice.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,860,831 times
I am from the Cincinnati area originally. I looked at Miami when I was in prep school but I did not really have good vibes about the place. The campus is beautiful and it is a highly ranked public school in Ohio but I did not really like the small town university scene. I also wanted to go to a top 20 university like Stanford, Duke or Stanford not to sound like a nerd, it was not my scene.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,082,593 times
If Miami is a "public ivy" then what does that make OSU (or even better ranked schools like Michigan, UNC etc.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:43 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,305,642 times
Default Best teaching

Miami is highly regarded for the quality of its undergraduate education, but doesn't measure up as well in the overall university rankings, which are based (perhaps strangely) on other factors such as R&D dollars.

Best Undergraduate Teaching Programs at National Universities | US News Best Colleges

The Univ. of Michigan and UNC always have been considered as "Public Ivy" universities.

Expanded listings of "Public Ivies" do include The Ohio State University.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

Old 10-22-2016, 08:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,997,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebush1 View Post
...Miami is a wonderful university with wonderful caring students and faculty. it is the envy of the Ohio public university system...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
Honestly, you are the only person I've known to speak so highly of the student body there. I've never heard of it being the envy of the Ohio public university system either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Miami is highly regarded for the quality of its undergraduate education, but doesn't measure up as well in the overall university rankings...
Whether "Public Ivy" or whatever - about Miami, this may be claimed:

*http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/06/16/cincinnati-area-university-is-one-of-best-for.html

*https://miamioh.edu/news/top-stories/2016/06/money-magazine.html

*Fortune's Most Powerful Women 2015 went to these universities

Old 10-22-2016, 09:03 AM

233 posts, read 409,894 times
I love Ohio state but it did not have a great academic reputation until recently and I've never seen it on a list of public ivies. It was an easy to get into school with poor graduation rates and many students on five and six year plans. However this has changed and first year admissions to the main campus are now pretty selective. Freshman classes on main campus are smaller and much more selective with most applicants getting assigned to a branch campus for two years.
OSU also boosted benefits and financial aid for top students.
Their immense research programs are quite impressive. Research dollars are weighted differently by various college rating systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio