Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:13 PM

1,098 posts, read 900,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
That's all I've had since I moved here is contract and temp jobs, I don't see those as being longstanding careers, whereas in Ohio I think I had more options to start longstanding careers with those companies, but I feel like the competition is extreme here and the people just aren't very nice in general, I don't know what it is, but I feel like I have been treated like crap especially if I tell them I am a transplant.
Oh yeah, There are a couple people in my department who have been 'temps' for 5+ years. It's ridiculous.

I love Natural510's post. If you're going to struggle somewhere at least go somewhere different. If you're only about career, then moving back to Ohio MIGHT be a better option. Who really knows.

I personally would much rather try my luck in a city like Denver, Oakland, LA, Seattle, Portland, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Nashville, Houston, Kansas city, Omaha, San Antonio, Minneapolis, out of the country (if you can pull it off)..really anywhere before moving back to Ohio. I love having options and I don't like the idea of staying in Ohio for most of my life. If that's not your thing, that's perfectly cool. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Jame22; 11-17-2016 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 12:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Honestly, I don't feel you're getting the best advice here. As someone who moved away from Ohio as a teenager and only came back in my 30s for financial reasons, you really should "go big or go home". Ohioans are enamored with Texas, Florida, Arizona, etc but unless you're making good money there, those places suck.
As someone just starting out, if you're going to scrape by in order to live somewhere new, it should be somewhere you're going to be continually evolving....whether through cultural enrichment, just plain partying or whatever. If you're gonna fight to survival somewhere, it should be worth the struggle for a bigger reason, otherwise you're just selling yourself short. If you're going to struggle, if should be somewhere like New York, LA, Bay Area, or outside the country, not friggin Austin. You can do much better for yourself here and use that money to travel where you like.
Excellent post.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:10 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,081 times
Quote:
Columbus actually has two pro sports teams and 3 other major stadiums, which means Columbus has 5 major stadiums, and Austin is lucky to have 2.

Here are the 5 major stadiums:
http://www.columbuscrewsc.com/matchda

Welcome to Nationwide Arena!

Huntington Park: Home of the Columbus Clippers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Stadium

The best stadium in the whole damn land:
OhioStateBuckeyes.com :: The Ohio State University Official Athletic Site

The 3 major malls (successful) again it may not matter to you, but to many Americans its does:

About The Mall at Tuttle Crossing® - A Shopping Center In Dublin, OH 43016-1537 - A Simon Property

Mall Hours | Columbus, OH | Polaris Fashion Place

Easton | Shopping, Dining, Living, Entertainment | Columbus, OH

Columbus has the best zoo in the nation:

https://www.columbuszoo.org/

Which zoo is No.1? | The Columbus Dispatch

And I could go on and on. Plus all of the FREE state parks you have around Columbus, which I hate about Texas is you have to pay to go into state parks here.

Btw sorry for the late reply I've actually been sick for the past week or so.
You have to pay to go in state parks?

Old 11-18-2016, 02:07 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,081 times
Quote:
Columbus actually has two pro sports teams and 3 other major stadiums, which means Columbus has 5 major stadiums, and Austin is lucky to have 2.

The 3 major malls (successful) again it may not matter to you, but to many Americans its does:

About The Mall at Tuttle Crossing® - A Shopping Center In Dublin, OH 43016-1537 - A Simon Property

And I could go on and on. Plus all of the FREE state parks you have around Columbus, which I hate about Texas is you have to pay to go into state parks here.

Yes, and the pro sports teams in Cincy and Cleveland (including Lebron and the NBA champs and the 2016 American League pennant-winning Indians) are short hops away from Columbus Ohio's second tier cities...Dayton, Toledo, Akron, Canton, etc. also offer many amenities as well, as do the nearby cities of Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Lexington, etc.
Just saw in the news today that the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton is embarking on a six hundred million dollar expansion and upgrade.
We have two world-class roller coaster theme parks.
My hometown of Dayton is the hub of Air Force research and development. Fuyao is establishing the world's largest auto glass manufacturing plant there, bringing in thousands of jobs. One of the country's most talked about sporting events, the NCAA men's basketball tournament, also begins in Dayton, with the opening games (the First Four) being played there since 2001. Also, UD Arena has hosted more NCAA tournament games than any current arena in the country. It is one of the most historic arenas in college basketball...a who's who of college basketball greats over the past half century have played there.
Our major cities are seeing very significant levels of investment in the inner cities. As part of this not only has there been a large increase in the amount of new construction taking place but...dearer to my heart... numerous histirical architectural gems are in the process of being restored.
Due to Ohio having had been a prosperous state with significant urban areas for the better part of its history, which us the better part of US history (since independence. In fact, Cincinnati was the first major new US city to develop after independence), we have a large number of architecturally and aesthetically significant older buildings and neighborhoods relative to newer regions
Many blighted and polluted abandoned former industrial sites have been cleaned up and either demoed or renovated in recent years. The success rate in getting these sites redeveloped once remedied has been very high.
Access to water. Something we don't even have to think about.
Numerous Fortune 500 companies are based here in Ohio. Many more have very large and important operations here.
It is one of the nation's most important auto producing states, including new companies with an extensive Ohio presence established over the last three decades, such as Honda, the aforementioned Fuyao, etc.
We have numerous colleges and universities...running the gamut from major universities to small colleges...some if which are very prestigious.... to a very extensive and well thought of community college system.
Ohio is only thirty-fifth in the nation territorially speaking but is seventh in the nation in population, so we have one of the highest population densities in the nation. Many of the states with higher populations have that population spread outvover a much, much larger geographical footprint. If we covered as large of a land area as Texas or California Ohio could easily include,depending on how the borders were drawn, not only it's present cities but also Chicago, Detroit (and metro Detroit is still one of America's centers of wealth and innovation, the issues of much of inner city Detroit aside), Indianapolis, Louisville, St Louis, Lexington, and numerous small metros which would also make important contributions to such a state (South Bend and the Lafayette-West Lafayette, for instance, which would give us Notre Dame and Purdue and a massive Caterpillar industrial complex), Fort Wayne, Evansville, Grand Rapids, and a number of others. The several hundred thousand people who live in the Kentucky and Indiana suburbs of Cincinnati would be in Ohio (as would be Cincinnati's airport and all of the industrial development around it).

Point being...people often forget how small Ohio is geographically relative to most of the other major states and what is nearby that would most likely be included in the state if Ohio was as large, geographically speaking, as those states. I think this is why some underestimate Ohio and this part of the country. ..there is actually a great deal that happens here and a great deal of innovation, production, culture, education, sports, history, etc., and potential here and in neighboring areas. We are not flyover county.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 11-18-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 02:26 PM

1,098 posts, read 900,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
You have to pay to go in state parks?
Yeah, and they aren't that impressive. I've visited Mckinney State Falls in Austin and Bastrop State Park. If I remember right, the admission price is somewhere around $6. It seems like most of the scenic land is Texas is either occupied by rich landowners or out in the middle of nowhere i.e. Big Bend National Park.

I can already think of 4 parks in the east/south Dayton suburbs that are much much better..and FREE.

1) Sugarcreek Metropark
2) John Bryan State Park
3) The Narrows reserve
4) Caesar's Creek State Park

and I'm sure there's a few more

Old 11-18-2016, 08:28 PM

730 posts, read 774,574 times
Quote:

Haven't watched pro sports, outside of super bowl parties, since all those millionaires went on strike against the billionaires 20 some years ago.

Have zero interest in tOSU sports. I did not grow up here nor did I attend tOSU. You probably feel the same way about my Horns.

The Columbus zoo is highly overrated. Go to the San Diego zoo and come back and tell me the Columbus zoo is better. I'm a member of the Columbus zoo and donate in addition to my membership in hope it will some day meet the hype.

I'm a man: I only shop when I really need something and Prime Now can usually put it on my doorstep in a couple of hours if not Prime will in 2 days. And no, malls no longer matter to many Americans which is why they are dying. Do Northland Mall, Eastland Mall, Westland Mall, Southland Mall, and City Center ring bell? Because Tuttle Mall is close on their heels to being the 6th dead mall in Columbus.

Sorry you think the $70 bucks that an annual pass costs is too hard to support Texas Parks. Did you think about that when you had zero state income taxes in Texas? Did you think if I and every other Texas resident were paying a ~3% state income tax this park could be funded already? When gas tax was 40% lower per gallon in Texas did you wish you were paying 28 cent a gallon tax in stead of 20 cents a gallon tax so that users of Texas parks didn't have an entrance fee?

Where are the; major local lakes, McKinney Falls, McKinney Roughs, Pedernales State park, Bastrop-Buescher, Blanco State Park, Inks, Palmetto, Enchanted Rock, Pace Bend, etc within 90 minutes, or so, of Columbus? Hocking Hills is about the only comparable one within that distance. Not to mention; tubing on the rivers and swimming at, Hamilton Pool, Blue Hole, Krause Springs, etc.

Now I sound like a CBus hater when I really enjoy living here and feel it is on Austin's growth/development track in transitioning to a unique urban city but trailing by about 20 years.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 11-18-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 10:18 AM

224 posts, read 296,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Haven't watched pro sports, outside of super bowl parties, since all those millionaires went on strike against the billionaires 20 some years ago.

Have zero interest in tOSU sports. I did not grow up here nor did I attend tOSU. You probably feel the same way about my Horns.

The Columbus zoo is highly overrated. Go to the San Diego zoo and come back and tell me the Columbus zoo is better. I'm a member of the Columbus zoo and donate in addition to my membership in hope it will some day meet the hype.

I'm a man: I only shop when I really need something and Prime Now can usually put it on my doorstep in a couple of hours if not Prime will in 2 days. And no, malls no longer matter to many Americans which is why they are dying. Do Northland Mall, Eastland Mall, Westland Mall, Southland Mall, and City Center ring bell? Because Tuttle Mall is close on their heels to being the 6th dead mall in Columbus.

Sorry you think the $70 bucks that an annual pass costs is too hard to support Texas Parks. Did you think about that when you had zero state income taxes in Texas? Did you think if I and every other Texas resident were paying a ~3% state income tax this park could be funded already? When gas tax was 40% lower per gallon in Texas did you wish you were paying 28 cent a gallon tax in stead of 20 cents a gallon tax so that users of Texas parks didn't have an entrance fee?

Where are the; major local lakes, McKinney Falls, McKinney Roughs, Pedernales State park, Bastrop-Buescher, Blanco State Park, Inks, Palmetto, Enchanted Rock, Pace Bend, etc within 90 minutes, or so, of Columbus? Hocking Hills is about the only comparable one within that distance. Not to mention; tubing on the rivers and swimming at, Hamilton Pool, Blue Hole, Krause Springs, etc.

Now I sound like a CBus hater when I really enjoy living here and feel it is on Austin's growth/development track in transitioning to a unique urban city but trailing by about 20 years.

But the thing is to go and do all of those things even a remote of those things, you have to burn a whole day, because of traffic and the infrastructure here is horrible, I mean literally horrible. So you will spend 2 to 3 hours going anywhere here that is close to any of those places you are speaking of. Not only that, they don't want to pay anyone anything here at all. So you don't have money to go out and enjoy those things, especially with the higher cost of living and etc.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Yes, and the pro sports teams in Cincy and Cleveland (including Lebron and the NBA champs and the 2016 American League pennant-winning Indians) are short hops away from Columbus Ohio's second tier cities...Dayton, Toledo, Akron, Canton, etc. also offer many amenities as well, as do the nearby cities of Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Lexington, etc.
Just saw in the news today that the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton is embarking on a six hundred million dollar expansion and upgrade.
We have two world-class roller coaster theme parks.
My hometown of Dayton is the hub of Air Force research and development. Fuyao is establishing the world's largest auto glass manufacturing plant there, bringing in thousands of jobs. One of the country's most talked about sporting events, the NCAA men's basketball tournament, also begins in Dayton, with the opening games (the First Four) being played there since 2001. Also, UD Arena has hosted more NCAA tournament games than any current arena in the country. It is one of the most historic arenas in college basketball...a who's who of college basketball greats over the past half century have played there.
Our major cities are seeing very significant levels of investment in the inner cities. As part of this not only has there been a large increase in the amount of new construction taking place but...dearer to my heart... numerous histirical architectural gems are in the process of being restored.
Due to Ohio having had been a prosperous state with significant urban areas for the better part of its history, which us the better part of US history (since independence. In fact, Cincinnati was the first major new US city to develop after independence), we have a large number of architecturally and aesthetically significant older buildings and neighborhoods relative to newer regions
Many blighted and polluted abandoned former industrial sites have been cleaned up and either demoed or renovated in recent years. The success rate in getting these sites redeveloped once remedied has been very high.
Access to water. Something we don't even have to think about.
Numerous Fortune 500 companies are based here in Ohio. Many more have very large and important operations here.
It is one of the nation's most important auto producing states, including new companies with an extensive Ohio presence established over the last three decades, such as Honda, the aforementioned Fuyao, etc.
We have numerous colleges and universities...running the gamut from major universities to small colleges...some if which are very prestigious.... to a very extensive and well thought of community college system.
Ohio is only thirty-fifth in the nation territorially speaking but is seventh in the nation in population, so we have one of the highest population densities in the nation. Many of the states with higher populations have that population spread outvover a much, much larger geographical footprint. If we covered as large of a land area as Texas or California Ohio could easily include,depending on how the borders were drawn, not only it's present cities but also Chicago, Detroit (and metro Detroit is still one of America's centers of wealth and innovation, the issues of much of inner city Detroit aside), Indianapolis, Louisville, St Louis, Lexington, and numerous small metros which would also make important contributions to such a state (South Bend and the Lafayette-West Lafayette, for instance, which would give us Notre Dame and Purdue and a massive Caterpillar industrial complex), Fort Wayne, Evansville, Grand Rapids, and a number of others. The several hundred thousand people who live in the Kentucky and Indiana suburbs of Cincinnati would be in Ohio (as would be Cincinnati's airport and all of the industrial development around it).

Point being...people often forget how small Ohio is geographically relative to most of the other major states and what is nearby that would most likely be included in the state if Ohio was as large, geographically speaking, as those states. I think this is why some underestimate Ohio and this part of the country. ..there is actually a great deal that happens here and a great deal of innovation, production, culture, education, sports, history, etc., and potential here and in neighboring areas. We are not flyover county.
Yeah I agree, Ohio isn't as bad as what people make it out to be. I had to learn that by moving away from Ohio, however I don't like the cold winters and wanted to get away from it, but I would rather be doing well financially, then be in a state were it never gets cold and struggle financially.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Yeah, and they aren't that impressive. I've visited Mckinney State Falls in Austin and Bastrop State Park. If I remember right, the admission price is somewhere around $6. It seems like most of the scenic land is Texas is either occupied by rich landowners or out in the middle of nowhere i.e. Big Bend National Park.

I can already think of 4 parks in the east/south Dayton suburbs that are much much better..and FREE.

1) Sugarcreek Metropark
2) John Bryan State Park
3) The Narrows reserve
4) Caesar's Creek State Park

and I'm sure there's a few more
Yep it is still $6 bucks, to me I'm not paying $6 bucks to see a state park at all. I would much rather pay state tax in Ohio then not have a state tax like they do here, the taxes equal out, for every single road they build now is a toll road, so you have to pay to be on the toll roads and toll roads are king here, not only that you have higher local taxes, so I really don't think your really saving all that much tbh, in fact I would argue that you not saving anything.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Oh yeah, There are a couple people in my department who have been 'temps' for 5+ years. It's ridiculous.

I love Natural510's post. If you're going to struggle somewhere at least go somewhere different. If you're only about career, then moving back to Ohio MIGHT be a better option. Who really knows.

I personally would much rather try my luck in a city like Denver, Oakland, LA, Seattle, Portland, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Nashville, Houston, Kansas city, Omaha, San Antonio, Minneapolis, out of the country (if you can pull it off)..really anywhere before moving back to Ohio. I love having options and I don't like the idea of staying in Ohio for most of my life. If that's not your thing, that's perfectly cool. Just something to think about.
Yea I have an opportunity to be a contractor for a full year before they hire me, I'm like I'm half tempted to start my own business if that is the case.

Btw I love SA but I'm worried about their economy. I really don't want to move back to Ohio, but I really don't want to struggle financially. I hate struggling financially, I know I can't even afford to pay my student loans back bc wages here are so low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio