Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 PM

279 posts, read 589,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
And I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Do you care to get specific about what I said that isn't supported by facts? The items that I listed have been documented in the past in this forum.

Facts aren't opinions.

So if slashing taxes is going to turn Ohio into a little Texas keep thinking. Maybe if you eliminate income tax completely in Ohio but a reduction won't put you close to a little Texas.

Radioactive water for fracking? Let me hand you a tin foil hat. That is the silliest statement I've heard in a while. And I full on agree with many conspiracy theories. No one is legally dumping radioactive water in oil wells. We. It's know the oil and the radioactive waste water industries are heavily regulated. So find another person to sell that bag of nails to. As for banning hearing, get off your. It, mobilize, get petitions and get it on the ballot. The voter has the ultimate referendum. You can make that difference if you don't like what your representatives are doing. Do you even live where fracking will bother your water source? Fact is, the majority of Preofrssive ohions live in the cities and don't have to worry about this for their drinking water. So get off your. It and do something about it or quit complaining about it.

As for abortion right, it is a State matter & Roe v Wade stands.

As for the toll road, refer above about referendums. And I'd like to mention the idea that co pansies out sourcing unskilled jobs to lower wage polls in other countries is the result of progressive policies. That plus stamping metal and other factory jobs that don't require a high school diploma also should not result in $60k/year in salary plus benefits. Sorry to break the news to you but no skills = low wage. Either way the turn pile fees result in a higher price for the end consumer as does unskilled labor costing $60k/year.

As for gerrymandering, give me a break, you think that is t happening in super liberal states like California, Washington, and New York. Look at this election cycle and the state of Illinois, how do you think all those red counties (most of the state) feel about the few counties around Chicago being blue? They, just like you, feel like they don't have a voice.

Grow up and quit whining every time someone says something you don't agree with.... it is funny, how simply stating I do t want to see Ohio home prices soar and see a revolution in the identity and the culture of the state get changed by people from other states moving in...(mainly California given what has happened in Nevada, Washing, Idaho, Oregon & Colorado) and before you start, I already know what the response is going to be, that I must be a bigot etc. I'm not, I speak three languanges and have lives on three different contentants working as a volunteer.

Last edited by HPY1; 11-24-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM

233 posts, read 411,285 times
I have a sibling who moved to CA after college and has a love hate relationship with it. She loves driving to the ocean and mountains, we have neither. She is fed up with high taxes, traffic and the cost of living. She wants to come back to Ohio but does not because of her job situation.
I feel most of the country has evolved to a live and let live philosophy, Ohio included.
Some posters here see everything through a political lens but thankfully most Ohio residents do not.
You have a significant other to make the move with. Give it a try provided your skills and education will translate into a job.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,244,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
i made the move from cali to ohio....terrible decision made for me before i was 18...but, cali is very over priced. remember that any place in ohio is at risk for severe snow, and it's even worse with water nearby.

i miss the ocean about cali the most. theres nothing like it....actually, nothing in ohio is like cali.

the only upside is the rent is cheaper here.

you dont need a smog check in ohio...unless u live near cleveland. so that'll save you some cash.
car insurance and license plate tags are cheaper as well. i mean by alot.

the small towns are racist here, not all. but you will see some stuff that'll make you wonder how dense people can get.

i STILL do not fit in here in ohio things are in a word "weird" it seems like i went thru a time warp because racism actually exists here.

if you need any more questions answered, i'm here. good luck on wherever you decide to move
What is "severe snow"?

Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,071,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
What is "severe snow"?
Probably the blizzard conditions that exist a few times a year... in rural Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas and Wisconsin.

In all respect to weather, blizzard conditions only hamper Ohio (and in varying localities, not the entire state at once) one a year or every other year. Perhaps even less than that. Remember, Ohio isn't the size of California, but it isn't Massachusetts either.

Being near the lake, especially going from Cleveland on east and northeast, you will see more snow when the lake isn't frozen over. If I understand the weather in that portion of the state correctly, it lessens to a degree once Lake Erie is covered with ice.

But even portions of NW and SW Ohio see lake effect snow, in this case from Lake Michigan. But it isn't as heavy due to the distance. Clippers and moisture pulling north from the Gulf over a cold front tend to cause more bad snow falls in SW Ohio.

Central and SW Ohio don't see much in lake effect. I've been in Columbus for a over a year now including last winter and never had much in the way of heavy snow. Maybe it was a low total snowfall year for this part of the state?

I would say brace most for the lack of sun at times (sun lamps can do wonders!) and the cold, especially when it does clear up at night and the insulation from the clouds trapping the heat disappears.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:43 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,366,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Probably the blizzard conditions that exist a few times a year... in rural Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas and Wisconsin.

In all respect to weather, blizzard conditions only hamper Ohio (and in varying localities, not the entire state at once) one a year or every other year. Perhaps even less than that. Remember, Ohio isn't the size of California, but it isn't Massachusetts either.

Being near the lake, especially going from Cleveland on east and northeast, you will see more snow when the lake isn't frozen over. If I understand the weather in that portion of the state correctly, it lessens to a degree once Lake Erie is covered with ice.

But even portions of NW and SW Ohio see lake effect snow, in this case from Lake Michigan. But it isn't as heavy due to the distance. Clippers and moisture pulling north from the Gulf over a cold front tend to cause more bad snow falls in SW Ohio.

Central and SW Ohio don't see much in lake effect. I've been in Columbus for a over a year now including last winter and never had much in the way of heavy snow. Maybe it was a low total snowfall year for this part of the state?

I would say brace most for the lack of sun at times (sun lamps can do wonders!) and the cold, especially when it does clear up at night and the insulation from the clouds trapping the heat disappears.
I think this is a fairly accurate post. Blizzards are becoming much less common with global warming.

Even some of the heaviest snowfalls in Greater Cleveland are powered by moisture from the Gulf of Mexico, especially after mid-January.

It doesn't take the Great Lakes freezing over to mute the lake effect snow machine. A smaller differential between higher altitude and lake surface temperatures also reduces the potential lake effect snow. That's why some of the heaviest snowfalls occur in November and December when Lake Erie is still relatively warm at the surface.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:27 AM

13,609 posts, read 9,647,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
Please no! Leave the progressives in California. Ohio does not need to be heavily taxed and regulated. Ohio is perfectly balanced at the moment.
The problem with Ohio taxes - and a matter of substantial relevance to folks moving to Ohio - is the patchwork of local taxes and laws, of severe variations from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Cross the street at the border between one town and another, and the income taxes can change appreciably; so can the quality of the schools, and all sorts of lifestyle and financial considerations. Ohio is about average nationwide, in terms of its overall tax burden. Taxes are definitely lower than in California. But it will require considerable research to figure out in which city/town/township to settle.

As for the question about snowfall and winter doldrums, yes, there are some obstacles. Ohio is sufficiently southern, that there isn't a robust infrastructure to deal with winter-severity. There is a southern-style mindset of grumbling over winter extremes. But at the same time, Ohio is sufficiently far north, that in most winters there are several (or more than several) nights of below zero Fahrenheit. That - more than snowfall - introduces complications. Because the climate is so continental, there are plenty of winter days, when it is colder even in SW Ohio, than has in Boston or even southern Maine.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,366,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
But at the same time, Ohio is sufficiently far north, that in most winters there are several (or more than several) nights of below zero Fahrenheit.
I think this statement overstates the severity of Ohio winters, especially as global warming continues to progress.

Note in Cleveland, in the north of the state, there were no days in the 2016 winter when the temperature was below zero degrees F. There were few days with lows below 10 degrees.

Cleveland January Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44113

Cleveland February Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44113

Post 6 and on in this thread has some detailed discussions of Cleveland winter weather, and how it has been impacted by global warming.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...land-area.html

Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,071,365 times
We had some days in Dayton and Columbus with lows in the single digits, and flirted with, if not fell into, the negative digits. With the wind chill, it can certainly feel at night time like -5 or -10 on some of the coldest nights of the year. Usually, I would say that would occur less than 15 days/nights a year. 25 or more would be an exceptionally cold year, but it could happen.

Agree this would be more of a concern than snow. Freezing pipes can be a disaster waiting to happen when they burst, so always keep the residences temperature above 55-60 (I think) and be aware when inspecting a place to make sure pipes are well insulated. Does it happen? Yes. Can it be easily prevented and/or avoided? Yes as well.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:23 AM

911 posts, read 2,595,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
We had some days in Dayton and Columbus with lows in the single digits, and flirted with, if not fell into, the negative digits. With the wind chill, it can certainly feel at night time like -5 or -10 on some of the coldest nights of the year. Usually, I would say that would occur less than 15 days/nights a year. 25 or more would be an exceptionally cold year, but it could happen.

Agree this would be more of a concern than snow. Freezing pipes can be a disaster waiting to happen when they burst, so always keep the residences temperature above 55-60 (I think) and be aware when inspecting a place to make sure pipes are well insulated. Does it happen? Yes. Can it be easily prevented and/or avoided? Yes as well.

i know if we have it bad in the toledo area snow wise, then columbus (your area) is probably getting ice or worse.

terrible conditions at both places sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio