Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 05:14 PM

217 posts, read 283,292 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking to move to Ohio some time soon. It is my plan to move after a one-year project I am going on, after which I should hopefully have approximately $2,000 ~ $4,000, but in the case that I don't go on the project, I may only have $700. I also have no vehicle, and would prefer to walk or bike to work, if possible, or even use a moped. I can get a vehicle, but only if I get the $4,000, and I'd rather not depend on a vehicle if possible.

I have an aunt who lives in Toledo that I may live with, but I am not sure what her living situation is like and how long she would be ok with that arrangement. I was looking for a place where I could also possibly get EMT training or get an Associate's Degree in horticulture, and I saw that Cincinnati has schools that cater to those two things.

So what I may end up doing is move to Toledo, OH in a year's time, then after I get my EMT training and finish my online geography degree, I would move to Cincinnati to get a horticulture diploma or further my emergency response training in some place like Colorado.

I wanted to know, what is Cincinnati and Toledo like in terms of distance to and from work? How expensive is single housing and apartments in both cities? I can afford about $500 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 06:40 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Toledo is cheaper than Cincinnati, and while I don't know the specifics of neighborhoods and such for the city, $500 should be enough for a studio or small 1BR apartment in the area. If I were you, I'd stay with auntie as long as she is willing to help you out, and get a part-time job while in school. Walking or biking will be fine until winter hits, where you'll need a ride or public transit of some type, so you may want to research bus routes in the city when deciding where to live.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:08 PM

That actually doesn't sound too bad. Toledo sounds pretty nice, so far.

I'm still trying to debate whether or not if it's worth getting a moped if I live in Toledo. I'm thinking that it's better than not having a vehicle, but from what I've read, mopeds in Ohio require a license, and pretty much the only difference between the lengthy process for getting a moped license and getting a motorcycle license is that the motorcycle license requires motorcycle insurance, which scares me. I often hear horror stories of how expensive car insurance is, but I guess that's one way I can look at it: I'd have to get insurance for a car if I had one, so I might as well go through with it. Hopefully when I do get insurance, I'll have money for it AND the moped.

The moped I have in mind is suppose to double as a bicycle, and is called a Motoped. Apparently, you can turn the engine off and pedal it like a bicycle, and turn the engine on and ride it like a moped/motorcycle.

I need to get a vehicle at some point, but I don't think I can afford one yet, and after having learned more about them, I honestly want to avoid getting a car for as long as possible, but I know that's not realistic. I just feel like when it comes to a car, I can either get a used car that runs like crap for $4,000 ~ $8,000, or I can make down-payments on a new $20K car and hope I can keep making payments on it and make sure that it still runs well by the time it's paid off.

I thought I remember there being many times throughout my childhood and teenhood where my parents would get a used vehicle, and like, a few months later, it gives them a plethora of issues. Then they use it until it breaks down completely, and then they either get another used one, or they make down-payments on a new or slightly used $20K one. Then they make payments on that and use it, and then just after they pay it all back, it starts acting up, and about a year or two later, they (have to) sell it for another vehicle. Rinse and repeat.

But I don't have money and room to be ****in' around with vehicles like that.

I'm hoping that with a motorized bicycle, I get something that I can easily fit into an apartment, can easily work on it myself, costs less gas, is more versatile, and is dependable without costing over 20 grand, but it may not work like that. I'm really not concerned about the elements as far as riding goes, but maybe I should be. I actually like the feel of riding a bike of any kind, though this is just going off bicycle experience.

Every time I've driven a car, I feel like I don't have a good sense of my surroundings, and I'm always anxious. Of course, that could have just been because every time I've driven a vehicle so far, someone was sitting beside me or behind me -backseat driving- telling me how to drive properly. That, and I lack experience. Riding a bicycle feels much more fun and natural, and it gets my adrenaline going, and I have a better sense of my surroundings. Of course, a motorcycle may be different.

Sorry for that mini-rant.

Last edited by TinBo; 12-07-2016 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM

224 posts, read 297,063 times
Toledo has a lot of issues. Toledo doesn't have good public transportation. The side roads and even some of the main roads are pretty bad.

You can get a good apt for $550 in Toledo, but be very careful where you rent, I'm saying this from experience, some of the places are really bad and have been known for drug havens and gangs.

I honestly think Cincy would be a better overall option and you have more job opportunities there.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:42 PM

224 posts, read 297,063 times
Also to compliment my last post, they don't call Toledo little Detroit for nothing.

Urban Dictionary: little detroit

Old 12-13-2016, 05:54 PM

lol, I'll keep that in mind.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:44 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Cleveland has by far the best mass transit of any Ohio city, and several institutions of higher learning, but perhaps few horticulture degree offerings. Cleveland buses and rapid trains all carry bikes.

How long do you have to be a resident of Ohio to get in-state tuition?

Ohio State in Columbus likely offers agricultural degrees, perhaps also available in Wooster, OH.

Majors | Department of Horticulture and Crop Science

I suspect most junior colleges in Ohio offer EMT degrees, and perhaps Cleveland State in downtown Cleveland, which has superb mass transit connections (both the Cleveland State Line and the Healthline bus rapids).

Perhaps check Craig's List for rental furnished rooms.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Will add in regards to pbracing that he doesn't particularly like Toledo and a lot of people don't.

But honestly it is nothing like Detroit at all. I've lived in Detroit and I currently live in inner-city Toledo, the part that people say is dangerous and gang invested and I've never had a problem with crime at all in Toledo since moving back here.

I also grew up here so I know that gangs in particular and crime is much better than it was in the 1990s when I was in high school. Toledo is pretty quiet and for $500 a month, you can find a decent apartment. A "hood" apartment will be in the $300-$400 range. Since you are from the Memphis area, please know that Toledo on crime is much better than Memphis. I have relatives who rent 2bd duplexes in the inner city for $400 a month. They live there to save money to buy a house but IMO you need to know "the hood" in order to ensure you're okay where you're at. I love my neighborhood even though other people think I should move to Old Orchard near the University of Toledo lol. I can afford to live where I want in Toledo but I bought my house I'm living in for $7000 cash and I don't have a mortgage or any car payments and so I have a lot of disposable income.

Cheapness is the best part of Toledo IMO.

I think I mentioned in the other forum when you were asking around that Toledo doesn't have good public transportation. I do think you should get a vehicle and you can find one cheap here but it may only last a couple years. I recently helped a young relative get a car and it was only $1500 and he loves the car and hasn't had any trouble with it. He bought it with cash.

On job opportunities, as I mentioned Toledo has a lot of job opportunities as long as you don't do drugs and aren't lazy so you can find a place to work while you are in school. Depending on the field you get into though, you can limit your opportunities as Toledo is very heavy on jobs in the medical field and accounting/finance and distribution/logistics/supply chain primarily. Other stuff, you might not be able to find much.

On schooling options, there are quite a few college/education options in the area. I do know that Univ of Cincinnati though is much more highly rated versus Univ of Toledo, but it is also harder to get into. There are also a lot of trade/apprenticeship opportunities in Toledo that you can gain an education from for a specific field and there are a few community colleges in the area like Owens, Penta Career Center, and others in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio