U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 AM

36,476 posts, read 15,621,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Poland, *southern Boardman, Canfield are all good. Have several gay friends
who live in these areas and are all happy there. Poland will be the most
commute friendly for your partner. YOU CAN NOT GO OVER THE SPEED
LIMIT IN POLAND OR THEY WILL PULL YOU OVER. That is a fact.
Pittsburgh to New Castle would be crazy in the winter. I'd stick to
these Ytown suburbs they have everything you could need.

*South Youngstown does not have a good reputation and
northern Boardman sometimes experiences that.
Agreed.

The west side is going to be one heck of a commute to New Castle. Plus the high crime there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 09:14 AM

5,268 posts, read 8,798,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmccoy View Post
I LOVE your photo tour! It's such a shame that so many of those great houses are in disrepair. If I was more handy, I'd love to have one and restore it back to it's former glory!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Overall, I really like it here. It's exciting to see new projects happen, and then watch their progress. But, it's sad when we lose one, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Agreed.

The west side is going to be one heck of a commute to New Castle. Plus the high crime there.
I was playing around with Google maps this morning, and it looks like the commute from Canfield would be as long--or longer--than anywhere on the west side.

I'm only going to address the "high crime" jab to say: if crime statistics are important to you, and you need to live in an area with the lowest crime rate possible, the city of Youngstown, and some of its suburbs, are not for you. But, if having the lowest crime rate isn't a priority for you, then there are many neighborhoods in the area that will work for you.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:45 PM

87 posts, read 136,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm only going to address the "high crime" jab to say: if crime statistics are important to you, and you need to live in an area with the lowest crime rate possible, the city of Youngstown, and some of its suburbs, are not for you. But, if having the lowest crime rate isn't a priority for you, then there are many neighborhoods in the area that will work for you.
Houston has some pretty rough neighborhoods that we checked out when we were looking at homes. Plus, I lived in an apartment complex with prostitutes and meth cookers, so I'm not too scared of things. Plus, we can get security systems (part of what hubby does for his company).

Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 AM

36,476 posts, read 15,621,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmccoy View Post
Houston has some pretty rough neighborhoods that we checked out when we were looking at homes. Plus, I lived in an apartment complex with prostitutes and meth cookers, so I'm not too scared of things. Plus, we can get security systems (part of what hubby does for his company).
Meth is more of a rural problem in Ohio.

But if you like crime Youngstown will deliver.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:56 AM

22 posts, read 22,118 times
Default Youngstown is not as bad as its made out to be

I moved up here from Pit last year. My taxes are much cheaper, gas is cheaper and there are no inspections on your car. I was advised against youngstown but i ended up making the move. I too work in New Castle. i live on the east side and it is a quick 20 minute commute down 422. Glad i didnt listen to the nay sayers, long as you take precautions you are fine

Old 12-28-2016, 02:01 AM

22 posts, read 22,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Agreed.

i disagree, its a 30 minute drive, seems no one in this area takes into account 422, so much quicker then 224

Old 12-28-2016, 04:22 AM

22,617 posts, read 29,228,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubrett2 View Post
I'm originally from the Youngstown area, currently living in Columbus, and I'm proud to be from Youngstown. Many like to look down or speak lowly of the area, but we are proud people. I can get off topic and expand more on this, but I digress.

My first thought, like No_Recess, while reading this was Poland. Poland and Canfield are the 2 top suburbs of Youngstown, but Poland is a few miles from the Pennsylvania border and 15-20 minutes from New Castle. Poland is smaller than Canfield, but Canfield has bigger sense of community IMO. Austintown and Boardman are nice as well, but they're urban townships with less restrictions on zoning, development, etc. and less organized. But that can be a good or bad thing, just depends on how you view it.

If you're looking in the city limits, there are plenty of good neighborhoods on the west side of the city. Mill Creek Park is one of the best city parks in the USA and the neighborhoods that surround it have some of the best homes in the city. We're talking cheap prices too if this were in another major city. There are some mansion-esque type homes on the near north side as well, surrounding Wick Park and just north of the YSU campus. I can't tell you much more beyond that however, since I rarely get to that part of town.

As far as LGBT-friendly is concerned, I am also gay and haven't ran into any issues at all. Granted, I'm not a permanent resident and visit 7-8 times a year, but everytime I've been up, it's no issue. The area barely has any gay-bars, but there is a small community, and I believe Youngstown actually has it's own Pride festival (but I can't provide any other facts beyond that).

Hope this will be helpful!
I agree. I live in Warren and I love it. I enjoy Y'town too. Both are rather diverse and tolerant. Yes. Y'town has a Pride fest. Along with many other festivals.

We are an under rated area. I moved here from the suburbs of NYC. And it was the BEST choice I ever made!

Old 12-29-2016, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,565 times
I wish I had seen this earlier. My husband is from Niles OH- about 10 miles from Youngstown. We recently moved back here in 2015- and I am really enjoying it. We are LGBT by the way- he is transgender and does not pass yet- for what it's worth.

I moved here from CT and so have sacrificed: great dining opportunities, proximity to Boston and NYC, and honestly just overall aesthetics. With that said, I really like this area. Housing prices are legit insane (we bought our 2 bedroom home with 2 garages and .5 of an acre for 39,500.00 in Niles) and there is a gritty soulfulness I enjoy. We prefer the lower cost of living- and then getting to travel more frequently so the lack of food options doesnt really bother us as it allows us to travel more. Plus the distance to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Chagrin Falls (our personal favorite) is great.

I will admit I have my days that I long for restaurants that are not heavy Italian or chain restaurants. I admit sometimes I would prefer more cultural opportunities. The school systems are just okay (altho depends town to town). But I genuinely find life here to be simple and I really appreciate that about the area.

As someone who has lived in the Northeast and Texas- Ohio is somewhere in between friendliness wise. More of the realness that you get with the Northeast- but with the friendliness of the south (but without the fakeness). People are genuinely kind people here and I like their slower pace of life.

For what its worth- we are fostering to adopt. Due to the heroin epidemic in this area- there is a huge huge need for foster parents and while fostering of course does not always = adopting (it depends case to case)- there is a pretty high adoption rate around here because so many of the parents are not able to get off drugs in the time frame the state requires. Lots of small children that need homes. You see billboards everywhere around here.

In terms of towns- I would say This is how I feel about them:

Boardman- too busy for my taste (very big box store-y) but good schools. Not for me.
Poland- adorable and feels very New England esque. It honestly ended up feeling TOO high end for me as I wanted something a little grittier as I got sick of the overly high end feel I experienced in CT- but I know it appeals to a lot of people.
Canfield- pretty much the same as Poland.
Cortland- I really like this town. More country. A little closer to PA which could help you.
Hubbard- I also really really like this town. It's very small town and adorable. Only about 10 minutes from stores- but close to PA which would be really nice for you.
Girard/Niles- Both very affordable and yet not really urban. they feel a bit run down- but I have come to embrace it and not mind it. Plus again- I love the house prices. Schools are only so so but there is a lot of open enrollment. We are not at that point yet in life to have to take schools that seriously yet though.

I personally am not one to want to live in either Warren or Youngstown. I know a lot of people like them and are a wonderful part of them being revitalized- but its just not for me- and so I can't speak much on that.

For what it's worth btw- my husband grew up here and there were about 10 "out" kids in his graduating class of 200. There were 0 in my graduating class of 120 in a very liberal town in Connecticut. I think it just goes to show that people here in Ohio are generally very accepting of the LGBT community.

I hope this helps!

Ps. I used to have an account here and dont remember it- so had to make a new one to respond! In case anyone finds it odd this is my first post.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. I live in Warren and I love it. I enjoy Y'town too. Both are rather diverse and tolerant. Yes. Y'town has a Pride fest. Along with many other festivals.

We are an under rated area. I moved here from the suburbs of NYC. And it was the BEST choice I ever made!
Too funny- so did I. Fairfield County CT. How about you?

I really love it here as well. People think I am nuts when they find out I am from that area and really enjoy this area (especially since we moved to Niles of all towns!)- but our life here has been so much more simple and relaxing and happier. I'm waiting for other people to start catching on that the rustbelt is so inexpensive and actually enjoyable to live in- especially with so many people working from home these days. (Where you can for instance make good good money working from companies in wealthier areas- but with a super low cost of living.)

Old 12-31-2016, 06:26 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,400,576 times
I live in Cortland and owned a house in Niles for six years in the early 2000s. Niles and Girard have some really nice old homes, if you're into that type of thing. They are more urban and the homes are closer together. Surprisingly, Girard actually has an excellent school district. I was shocked when I saw it, but that's how the state rates them.

I'm a Cortland native and moved back seven years ago. It's a great little town on the shores of Mosquito Lake (don't let the name scare you). We are ten to fifteen minutes from downtown Warren and the shopping and restaurants in Howland/Niles. It typically takes us twenty to twenty five minutes to get to Mill Creek Park or downtown Youngstown. That being said, I think the commute to New Castle would be prohibitive. It's likely 40 minutes to and hour from Cortland.

I work in the Girard/Niles area with a woman who lives just outside of New Castle and it takes her over 40 minutes to get to our place or business. I think Mahoning County would be your best best, maybe Hubbard. If it were me I would be looking at Hubbard, Struthers, Campbell, Poland, New Springfield, Boardman areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio