Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:03 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times

Advertisements

Hmm, the OP hasn't been back for a long time, and the holidays are over. If that means the promotion didn't go through, then I wish them better luck next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjazz View Post
You should check out city-data's crime rate statistics on Youngstown, and the ethnic make up of the city.
I just saw on wkbn.com that a 14 year old robbed a 57 year old woman, then shot her once in the face and twice in the arm.
There are a number of other stories there that would give one pause, also.
I agree that looking up the crime statistics would be very helpful in determining whether they want to move to Youngstown but what does the city's demographics have to do with their move? If you're upset that Youngstown has a large Black population then you need not worry because Whites are moving in rapidly as well as Hispanics while Blacks are moving out. If you don't want to live around Blacks then I'm sure you'll love Poland, North Lima, Springfield and Beaver township but don't add racial components to the discussion when it's not necessary.
Also before you say that they may want to know about the ethnic makeup, I think they would prefer to know whether they're new potential neighbors would glare, stare or even call them names for being a same sex couple as most residents of the aforementioned towns would.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
For what it's worth I live in Pittsburgh (prepares to duck the cyber-shoes that will soon be thrown at my head!), but I have absolutely fallen in love with Greater Youngstown.

White House Fruit Farms in Canfield has the best honey crisp apples and homemade blueberry donuts I've ever eaten.

Mill Creek Park's trails are fantastic---rivaling Pittsburgh's Frick Park for my favorite urban parkland trails in the Rust Belt.

Fellows Riverside Gardens? Free.

Butler Institute of American Art? Free.

Traffic jams? Non-existent.

People? Friendly.

The urban blight literally everywhere is depressing, but then again I grew up in a similarly economically-depressed MSA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA) and currently live adjacent to one of Pittsburgh's worst ghettoes (Hill District) so I'm used to it.

I also find Boardman to be unabashedly ugly. Boardman-Canfield Road could REALLY use some landscaping and trees to help beautify the struggling strip malls and drive-through chain restaurants. Then again every MSA needs to have a Boardman, so I guess it serves its purpose.

People keep bragging about how "dirt cheap" Pittsburgh is, but it has ratcheted up in price astronomically, especially for renters, just since I moved here in 2010. Youngstown? Still dirt cheap. When I see I can buy a move-in ready older 2-BR/1-BA on a 0.25-acre lot in Youngstown for <$50,000 my tail wags. I mean, I currently earn $15/hr. and could easily afford a home like that. Pricing like that in Pittsburgh only exists for fixer-uppers in questionable neighborhoods these days.

I was recently dumped by my boyfriend (like the OP I'm also part of the LGBT community). Youngstown has really piqued my interest for potential relocation in 2018. It's a shame nobody ever discusses it on this forum. The Ohio forum is always just a depressing p*ssing contest between residents of the "Three C's".

Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjazz View Post
Yes, of course, how foolish of me.
Nowhere will one be attacked simply for being white.
I don't know about "nowhere," but I think it would be pretty unlikely in Youngstown.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM

162 posts, read 149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
For what it's worth I live in Pittsburgh (prepares to duck the cyber-shoes that will soon be thrown at my head!), but I have absolutely fallen in love with Greater Youngstown.

White House Fruit Farms in Canfield has the best honey crisp apples and homemade blueberry donuts I've ever eaten.

Mill Creek Park's trails are fantastic---rivaling Pittsburgh's Frick Park for my favorite urban parkland trails in the Rust Belt.

Fellows Riverside Gardens? Free.

Butler Institute of American Art? Free.

Traffic jams? Non-existent.

People? Friendly.

The urban blight literally everywhere is depressing, but then again I grew up in a similarly economically-depressed MSA (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA) and currently live adjacent to one of Pittsburgh's worst ghettoes (Hill District) so I'm used to it.

I also find Boardman to be unabashedly ugly. Boardman-Canfield Road could REALLY use some landscaping and trees to help beautify the struggling strip malls and drive-through chain restaurants. Then again every MSA needs to have a Boardman, so I guess it serves its purpose.

People keep bragging about how "dirt cheap" Pittsburgh is, but it has ratcheted up in price astronomically, especially for renters, just since I moved here in 2010. Youngstown? Still dirt cheap. When I see I can buy a move-in ready older 2-BR/1-BA on a 0.25-acre lot in Youngstown for <$50,000 my tail wags. I mean, I currently earn $15/hr. and could easily afford a home like that. Pricing like that in Pittsburgh only exists for fixer-uppers in questionable neighborhoods these days.

I was recently dumped by my boyfriend (like the OP I'm also part of the LGBT community). Youngstown has really piqued my interest for potential relocation in 2018. It's a shame nobody ever discusses it on this forum. The Ohio forum is always just a depressing p*ssing contest between residents of the "Three C's".
Urban blight literally everywhere? Travel the Mon Valley lately? Visit Beaver County? As much as everyone likes to highlight Pittsburgh as a success, Western PA seems forgotten outside of certain areas in Pittsburgh.

Seriously? Do you not read the PA forum? That forum is a joke when it comes to the fighting between Pittsburgh and Philly. Page after page of constant bashing. I also don't understand why Pittsburgh forumers need to take little jabs and throw down undertones and act like they are some superior city when it comes to places in Ohio. Guess what, you're not superior. Maybe at some point someone can explain that incessant need to put down say Columbus or Cincinnati? And as much as Pittsburgh posters want to act like they are a big bad Northeast city, they sure mention Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati a lot in their posts.

Quick question about your Boardman comment. It's a busy retail corridor that gets a lot of PA and WV shoppers. You talk about how it needs landscaping. How is this any different than McKnight Road with its stuggling strip malls and ugly overhead power lines that exist there? Or heading out by Robinson? Welcome to ugly surface parking lots and shopping centers. Boardman and the 224 corridor is no different than what you find in Pittsburgh's suburbs. Canfield and Poland are very attractive southern suburbs with beautiful homes in each. There are also a lot of great neighborhoods in Boardman between 224 and Midlothian Boulevard.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:23 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
Urban blight literally everywhere? Travel the Mon Valley lately? Visit Beaver County? As much as everyone likes to highlight Pittsburgh as a success, Western PA seems forgotten outside of certain areas in Pittsburgh.

Seriously? Do you not read the PA forum? That forum is a joke when it comes to the fighting between Pittsburgh and Philly. Page after page of constant bashing. I also don't understand why Pittsburgh forumers need to take little jabs and throw down undertones and act like they are some superior city when it comes to places in Ohio. Guess what, you're not superior. Maybe at some point someone can explain that incessant need to put down say Columbus or Cincinnati? And as much as Pittsburgh posters want to act like they are a big bad Northeast city, they sure mention Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati a lot in their posts.

Quick question about your Boardman comment. It's a busy retail corridor that gets a lot of PA and WV shoppers. You talk about how it needs landscaping. How is this any different than McKnight Road with its stuggling strip malls and ugly overhead power lines that exist there? Or heading out by Robinson? Welcome to ugly surface parking lots and shopping centers. Boardman and the 224 corridor is no different than what you find in Pittsburgh's suburbs. Canfield and Poland are very attractive southern suburbs with beautiful homes in each. There are also a lot of great neighborhoods in Boardman between 224 and Midlothian Boulevard.
Wow. Overreaction much to a balanced review of Greater Youngstown?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. Overreaction much to a balanced review of Greater Youngstown?
No, not really. Balanced? It reeks of negative undertones, especially when coming from Pennsylvania, which has some of the worst blight in the North. Just calling it like I see it. My questions were legitimate. Not once were they answered.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:43 PM

18 posts, read 19,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseofPlace View Post
No, not really. Balanced? It reeks of negative undertones, especially when coming from Pennsylvania, which has some of the worst blight in the North. Just calling it like I see it. My questions were legitimate. Not once were they answered.
Agreed. That poster is off of their rocker. Some of the ugliest suburban neighborhoods I have seen are in Pittsburgh. If you don’t believe me drive through the suburbs for 30 miles along the mon river. Talk about an abandoned dump. It can easily get mistaken for West Virginia. The other funny thing is they commented on how suburban heavy youngstown is. Really? Pittsburgh is mostly made up of suburbs with a very small city at the core. Is there even 300k in Pittsburgh city anymore? Everybody I talked to or know that is from Pittsburgh live in the suburbs because of the high taxes, crime and undesirable city neighborhoods in pittsburgh

Old 10-29-2017, 03:29 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
oh Jesus.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
oh Jesus.
Something to add? Please, do so. I asked questions and still have yet to get answers. I have noticed for a long time now Pittsburgh has a superiority complex. Why is that? It seems evident by long-time Pittsburgh posters.

I'll be waiting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio