Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times

Advertisements

What about Deanntredo? (adding Toledo's 34 to whatever Ann Arbor and Metro Detroit score).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 PM

994 posts, read 778,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
What about Deanntredo? (adding Toledo's 34 to whatever Ann Arbor and Metro Detroit score).
I'm guessing that would be higher than anywhere in Ohio since Detroit probably still has a massive GDP due to the auto industry.

But if you're going there, might as well just include it with the Chi-Pitts mega-region, which represents the world's 7th largest economy (No. 2 in the U.S.)

The Mega-Regions of North America | Martin Prosperity Institute

Old 03-30-2017, 07:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
I'm guessing that would be higher than anywhere in Ohio since Detroit probably still has a massive GDP due to the auto industry.

But if you're going there, might as well just include it with the Chi-Pitts mega-region, which represents the world's 7th largest economy (No. 2 in the U.S.)

The Mega-Regions of North America | Martin Prosperity Institute
Better yet, The ChiPitTor, of which Toledo is the center!

Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Updated for 2016:
1. Cincinnati-Tri State 132 (28)
2. Columbus 131 (29)
3. Cleveland-Elyria 129 (30)
4. Dayton 41 (68)
5. Akron 37 (75)
6. Toledo 33 (79)
7. Youngstown-Warren-Boardman 20
8. Canton-Massillon 16
9. Lima 6
10. Mansfield 4
11. Springfield 4
12. Weirton (WV)-Steubenville 4

Numbers are in billions, rounded to the nearest billion (with ties broken).
Numbers in parentheses are national rank. Cleveland and Akron really, really should be one metro area.

When combining for region:
Northeast Ohio (Cleveland + Youngstown + Canton + Akron)=202
Central Ohio (Columbus + Springfield)=135
Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati + Dayton)=173

Ohio still displays economic clout as a whole (certainly among Top 10 US states, at least). If combining the Three C's + their surrounding regions, less than 5 American MSAs would outrank them. I also found the comment about the Chicago-Pittsburgh mega-region being the world's 7th largest economy interesting.

The other two C's jumped Cleveland in the MSA category this year, but it wasn't any huge jump. The 3 will likely continue to remain around the same area for upcoming decades, unless something new especially good or bad happens in one of them, which I don't foresee. Good to see numbers still going up in the Big 3, but would be really nice to see some more growth in some of the smaller spots on the list too.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
^ I can understand that, after dominating Ohio for well over a century, Cleveland's fall from the #1 spot is a hard fall to take. That doesn't change the results or the significance of the report.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:23 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ I can understand that, after dominating Ohio for well over a century, Cleveland's fall from the #1 spot is a hard fall to take. That doesn't change the results or the significance of the report.
Wading into the fire

Seriously, though, I still don't really get the importance of the CSA/PSA beyond media market. MSA is better in terms of actual core city regional influence. It seems the only time anyone cares about the CSA is when trying to inflate numbers, either by population or economics. Cleveland may not be the top MSA anymore, but it's still in the same sphere of importance. It needs to do better, though, if it wants to stay there. Even a $50-$60 billion gap even accounting for the CSA can close faster than you think when growing at half the rate as others.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 AM

I'm not really all that competitive, it's just a rational thought with the two so close to one another, sharing in a significant amount, and even a number of areas counting as "Akron MSA" having more direct ties (and commuters) going to Cleveland. But, if were really going to look at it like that though:
MSA Size (in sq. mi.)
Cleveland 2,004
Cincinnati 4,398
Columbus 3,984

I understand as a person from Cincinnati, that seeing those numbers with those two ahead would certainly be a positive. But, can you honestly say that is a completely equitable measure of comparison? Just food for thought. Even when adding Akron's MSA in, it's still only 2,910, well under that of the other two. Urban Area might be a more fair means of comparison, if looking at immediate core, IMO.

Actually also, since you mentioned Media Market, Akron I believe is considered a part of Cleveland's.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I'm not really all that competitive, it's just a rational thought with the two so close to one another, sharing in a significant amount, and even a number of areas counting as "Akron MSA" having more direct ties (and commuters) going to Cleveland. But, if were really going to look at it like that though:
MSA Size (in sq. mi.)
Cleveland 2,004
Cincinnati 4,398
Columbus 3,984

I understand as a person from Cincinnati, that seeing those numbers with those two ahead would certainly be a positive. But, can you honestly say that is a completely equitable measure of comparison? Just food for thought. Even when adding Akron's MSA in, it's still only 2,910, well under that of the other two. Urban Area might be a more fair means of comparison, if looking at immediate core, IMO.

Actually also, since you mentioned Media Market, Akron I believe is considered a part of Cleveland's.
I don't think land area size has literally anything to do with GDP. All 3 metros are similar in population. However, in Columbus' and Cincy's cases, you could make an argument that the vast majority of the metro GDP is created in a limited number of core counties, probably not much more than the 5 in Cleveland's metro area. You would no doubt see some kind of drop in the total without those other counties, but probably not as significant as you think. Columbus, for example, is extremely compact. Over 60% of the entire metro lives just in Franklin County alone, with the majority of the rest in Licking and Delaware counties. Just those 3 likely provide probably 80-90% of the GDP.

In any case, the question remains why Cleveland continues to struggle a bit with economic growth.

Media markets are generally about the same size- or a bit larger than- CSAs.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I don't think land area size has literally anything to do with GDP. All 3 metros are similar in population. However, in Columbus' and Cincy's cases, you could make an argument that the vast majority of the metro GDP is created in a limited number of core counties, probably not much more than the 5 in Cleveland's metro area. You would no doubt see some kind of drop in the total without those other counties, but probably not as significant as you think. Columbus, for example, is extremely compact. Over 60% of the entire metro lives just in Franklin County alone, with the majority of the rest in Licking and Delaware counties. Just those 3 likely provide probably 80-90% of the GDP.

In any case, the question remains why Cleveland continues to struggle a bit with economic growth.

Media markets are generally about the same size- or a bit larger than- CSAs.
I'll give you that on Columbus being more confined, but there still is the issue with Cleveland itself of places that many would associate with Cleveland, being considered a part of the MSA. In Cincinnati's case esp. too, it is a tri state metro and while there isn't that much happening in the Indiana side of things, there is a fair amount, including the airport, over into Kentucky. As to the question about GDP and Economic growth, the answer is quite simple. Cleveland fell much harder post heavy industry era, due to it's economy being MUCH more directly tied to mfg. That isn't just the case in Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh are seeing similar results also. But, I think also, many would agree that Cleveland's worst days are behind it, and that it takes time for a city/region to essentially fully overhaul it's economy, something that Columbus, a far newer city in terms of growth, didn't have to do.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:56 PM

994 posts, read 778,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
It's splitting hairs, but when looking at it from the micro standpoint, Cincinnati benefits from getting credit for all of Butler and Warren counties, when the Dayton area should get credit for some of that. Areas like Middletown, Franklin and Springboro are all closer to Dayton than Cincinnati.

On the flip side, Akron gets credit for all of Summit County, when Cleveland should get credit for the northern part .... IE, Macedonia and Twinsburg (and maybe even Richfield). All three of those areas are more Cleveland oriented (Richfield is debatable between Cleveland-Akron ... probably like say Middletown or Springboro is for Cincy-Dayton), but since all three are in Summit County, their GDP goes to Akron.

With all that said, fwiw (and not much in the grand scheme of things), "Cleveland" probably still has the highest GDP in Ohio.

IMO, a truer picture of the Cs, at the micro level, would be:

Cleveland-Akron-Canton: 182 (Youngstown is NEO, but weird in while it's close ... Youngstown to Akron is about as close as Akron to Cleveland ... it doesn't share the same connectivity at the local level).

Cincinnati-Dayton-Springfield: 180 (Springfield seems connected to Dayton)

Columbus: 131
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio