U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 11:58 PM

45 posts, read 44,250 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice to live in either Springfield or Lima which one would it be? If you were a single professional 30 something looking to relocate to western Ohio. Looking to purchase a house (100-150K) meet some new people (especially to date) and find work in business management.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:05 AM

14,202 posts, read 13,083,077 times
There's not a whole lot in Springfield other than some bars, chain restaurants (other than a couple gems) and a brewpub. Its main attraction is being within 15 minutes of Yellow Springs, 20 minutes of Dayton and under an hour to Columbus. The upside is you could get a nice home in one of the better neighborhoods, and you'll have an advantage as a single male professional town (there's a lot of losers for women to pick over here, lol).
I've only stopped in Lima on the way further north, but it did seem it may have a bit more to offer. However, it's pretty isolated in its location. Once outside of town, there's not much else there. Both are old factory towns, so I'm not sure how much is available for business management. You may have better luck in Dayton or one of its suburbs.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:42 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,871,581 times
Move to Dayton instead. Apparently the Oregon District is nice. Still low cost of living but a bit more options for a young professional.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:20 AM

135 posts, read 163,089 times
I grew up in Springfield. My brother lived in Lima for ten years. So I'm pretty familiar with both. My first question is, why? Neither of these cities are magnets for professionals, to put it mildly. (Unless your profession is dealing drugs, in which case you might find the market a bit saturated.) So what is it that's bringing you here?

I might be a little biased, but Springfield is marginally nicer. It's a little bigger, and consequently there are more opportunities. Lima is famous for bulldozing their historic downtown and replacing it with soulless modern office blocks, so there's very little charm in the city. Not a lot of people would describe Springfield as charming, but compared to Lima, it looks like the set of Gilmore Girls. Springfield has a real, semi-prestigious university, and a community college. Lima has a technical school and a branch campus of OSU. Advantage Springfield.

The real advantage of Springfield, though, is how easy it is to get out of. Parts of Dayton are ten minutes away. WPAFB and the Beavercreek mall area are fifteen. Columbus is a 45 minute drive. You don't have to work in Springfield to live there. In Lima, there's nothing for an hour in any direction.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 AM

[quote=kevinbelt;47636988]I grew up in Springfield. My brother lived in Lima for ten years. So I'm pretty familiar with both. My first question is, why? Neither of these cities are magnets for professionals, to put it mildly. (Unless your profession is dealing drugs, in which case you might find the market a bit saturated.) So what is it that's bringing you here?[/QUOTE

I used to live in the Miamisburg area years ago and have fond memories. I am looking for an affordable small town close to either Dayton or Toledo. I just want a town where my money will go far and people are friendly. It doesn't need to be the hippest place on earth. Granted I've haven't visited either City in over 15 years and I'm sure some things have changed. I am in the process of being hired as a district manager for a tool/construction supply manufacturer and western Ohio is part of the territory. But if this opportunity falls through I'm still considering the areas. I just want out of the big city.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:08 AM

135 posts, read 163,089 times
Sound logic; I wouldn't mind doing something similar myself. Are you limited to those two cities? If not, you have some other good options nearby. Urbana (10 minutes north of Springfield) is one of the most charming towns in the state. Don't just take my word for it; Ohio Magazine always names it one of their Best Hometowns. Troy and Greenville are two other western towns that have a great reputation. Troy, in particular, is only ten minutes from the Dayton airport. You get all the benefits of small town life, but you've got easier access to the big city amenities of Dayton than much of the city itself.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:29 PM

888 posts, read 933,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalmoe View Post
If you had a choice to live in either Springfield or Lima which one would it be? If you were a single professional 30 something looking to relocate to western Ohio. Looking to purchase a house (100-150K) meet some new people (especially to date) and find work in business management.
Findlay has Marathon and Cooper Tire based there, so I think I would pick Findlay over Lima. Springfield? I have nice things to say about most places I've been to in Ohio, but I struggle to find anything nice to say about Springfield other than the fact that it isn't awful like Portsmouth. Mansfield is about the same size and in my opinion has better curb appeal. Maybe I just haven't been through the "nice" parts of Springfield so my opinion is jaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbelt View Post
In Lima, there's nothing for an hour in any direction.
Findlay, by virtue of having Marathon and Cooper Tire, probably has "professionals", but for any big city amenities (other than Macy's, that is if you consider it a big city amenity), you have to go to Toledo, Dayton or Fort Wayne.

This may sound stupid to you, but none of those places has a Target store (the one in Springfield closed). The closest Targets from Lima are Huber Heights, Fort Wayne and Toledo. Cities that are so small that they don't merit a Target are probably too small for an outsider to move to.

Last edited by PerryMason614; 03-26-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Findlay has Marathon and Cooper Tire based there, so I think I would pick Findlay over Lima. Springfield? I have nice things to say about most places I've been to in Ohio, but I struggle to find anything nice to say about Springfield other than the fact that it isn't awful like Portsmouth.
I was thinking about Findlay but it seemed a little bit expensive compared to Lima with similar restaurant/entertainment options. I use to stop through Springfield in the early 2000s and thought it to be your quintessential small Midwestern city. Some time has passed. Do you think the city has declined since then? Or is it poised to see some growth in the next decade?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM

888 posts, read 933,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalmoe View Post
I was thinking about Findlay but it seemed a little bit expensive compared to Lima with similar restaurant/entertainment options. I use to stop through Springfield in the early 2000s and thought it to be your quintessential small Midwestern city. Some time has passed. Do you think the city has declined since then? Or is it poised to see some growth in the next decade?
Springfield has never done much for me. I don't know why, I just always had the impression that it was run down. I think part of the problem is that it is too close to Dayton to have it's own personality other than that of a declining industrial town. Lima, Mansfield and Findlay are basically in the middle of cornfields, so that may be why they look a little better to the eye.

I think moving to any Ohio small town is going to be problematic for an outsider, because the big cities are so close to each other. I think for what you are trying to accomplish, you might be better off west of here. Indiana, Illinois and Iowa don't have the large number of big cities we have here.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,756,924 times
I'd also choose Springfield over Lima, because Springfield is significantly less isolated.

You're 20 min to Dayton suburbia, 30 min to downtown Dayton, 35 min to Columbus suburbia, and 45 min to downtown Columbus if you're in the center of Springfield, vs. Lima which is an 60 min from Dayton, and 90 min from Toledo.

But to be honest, with that budget and requirements I wouldn't live in Springfield.
Fairborn would be a decent choice for buying a house in that budget, as would Huber Heights.
The commutes would not be horrible, and there are definitely other people your age in both cities that have made the same decision.

As for more social places for dating, etc. I'd go into Dayton city limits, that budget works nicely in South Park, and from what I see it's a very social place to live. You could also buy a condo in Beavercreek (this might actually be one of your better options if you're OK without a fully detached house).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: